Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
Last edited by a moderator:
Long Term Gadget Test - Popular Mechanics

"The premise of the Nest system is an efficient home-climate-control system that you don’t need to think about. But in three months of my experience, the exact opposite is true. Because the device is constantly and autonomously tinkering with the temperature in my house, I find myself frequently checking in on it and second-guessing its intentions. When I hear the heat kick on, I run to the Nest and examine its current setting. Do I really want the temperature to dial up to 72 degrees F? Now I’m not sure."
Good Question.

Read more: Nest Thermostat: Long-Term Gadget Test - Popular Mechanics

Awesome looking thermostat. Looks like more of what we will see in everyday things in the future as prices go down.

Not new, and certainly not convenient. Around 1980 I bought and installed an "intelligent" thermostat. You set the temp for a week. It then took it from there, calculating how long it would take to heat/cool the house to reach the desired temp at the time when you set the desired temp. Meant you had to, without fail, set that temp at just the right time for that week. MUCH easier to have one where you can set the time & temps in one sitting.

That system was patented, and I think Honeywell bought the patents from them.

Being the gadget nerd that I am, I would get it. I live in a two story house and have two independent ECS units. Not gonna shell out 250 x 2.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

stimpson said:
Being the gadget nerd that I am, I would get it. I live in a two story house and have two independent ECS units. Not gonna shell out 250 x 2.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

No need to buy this unit if you like gadgets. Just buy a standard programmable unit and program it. Apparently many people buy programmable units and never program the cycles for heating and cooling.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I saw this the other week, did not realize it was $250.

I'll pass. I didn't like the lack of visual controls.

Oh Rock, the only thing missing is an Apple logo. lol :D ;)

I would like to pick up a couple, but not for 250 bucks a pop I'm not.

Last edited:
I haven't been shocked and amused at the same time, in a long time. I have installed quite a few thermostats over the years. Never ever has any of my installs looked like this, regardless of price. Wow! :eek::D

I haven't been shocked and amused at the same time, in a long time. I have installed quite a few thermostats over the years. Never ever has any of my installs looked like this, regardless of price. Wow! :eek::D

No doubt. I dont think I would be showing that crappy install for the whole internet world to see!!!

Looks like it was stuck to the wall with rolled up scotch tape... Wires are probably all thats holding it up there, How can u do it that bad. Its soooo simple even if they would have just run the screws right into the drywall alone it would have actually been stuck to the wall not just wobbling around on it.

My furnace is origional from 1938 we have no cooling in the house. I replace the thermostat a few years ago, but can't remember how many wires it had, it was 2 or 3.