Netflix Raises Fees for Blu-Ray...AGAIN!!!

Yeh, no one likes price hikes. But look at the alternative. Spending 6 bucks a throw walking into a blockbuster or buying something for $20.00 you will only watch a couple of times. If you want to watch Blu-Ray, Netflix is STILL the best deal.

I could not agree more, it's a great feature...except most people with NF are not interested in dropping into stores (obviously), likely the primary reason for picking NF to start with. And convenience of not doing that, is worth something too. Maybe not more than a dollar or two though..time will tell..I think unless the BD prices settle to something more reasonable, Netflix might just be one indicator of changes to come.

To me it's worth the minor "inconvenience" of heading out into the public and going into a store to basically guarantee I get the movie I want to see.

With either of the mailer services (BBO or Netflix) you have no guarantee that your #1 new release will be ship by mail the day it comes out. The same can't be said for in-store exchanges. Quite the opposite really..

For instance, today Tuesday March 31st, I'll be getting the day-and-date BD releases of Slumdog Millionaire and Marley and Me. I get all the new releases the day they come out with no problem what's so ever. I guarnetee Netflix subs can't claim the same.

Plus, here's a secret....... Go on Tuesday after work! No crowds at all and your basically ensured any movie you want. :D

Well just made the account change, as of 4/25 ill drop from 4 to 3. Just out of spite, once Band of Brothers is finished, Ill drop from 3 to 2 in May.

From the reactions here and Highdefdigest forums, I think Netflix is gonna come out a loser on this one, and I hope so.

I think this increase is really to fund watch now expansions. I think they should have a BR fee, and a Watch Now Fee. Id take BR access but could care less about WN. Im sure there are many that would take the opposite too.

Edit: Changed my mind, Ill finish BoB before the 4 at a time changes, so I'll dropped to 2 at a time on 4/25. Screw em.

Last edited:
elway, why did you downgrade for 4/25? Is that your renewal? If so, the new charge doesn't state until 4/27, so technically, you would renew on 4/25 at your old rate, then in May renew at the higher fee.

I'm going to go through as many bd's as I can before my renewal in May, then possibly just suspend or cancel account in May as it's summer anyways and I'll just rent occasionally. I'll re-evaluate at that time what the best option is for my needs. (Blockbuster, netflix, redbox, etc)

Mine renews on the 25th of the month, so Ill automatically drop to 2 at a time on 4/25(on 4/25 Ill be charged $16.99). I have 4 at a time till then, so Im gonna use that time to clear out Band of Brothers, then Ill just have two movies per week.

We just had a new dinner theater open here, so if I like it, my wife and I may start hitting the theater more anyways.

Im sorry, but Im not going to support Netflix anymore than I have to now, this was just a crappy way to do subs. Id go to BB 100% if they had good service around here.

[FONT=arial,helvetica]We've switched you over to the 2 at-a-time (Unlimited) plan at $16.99 plus tax. This change will start on 04/25/2009.

-Your friends at Netflix
[/FONT]

Mine renews on the 25th of the month, so Ill automatically drop to 2 at a time on 4/25(on 4/25 Ill be charged $16.99). I have 4 at a time till then, so Im gonna use that time to clear out Band of Brothers, then Ill just have two movies per week.

We just had a new dinner theater open here, so if I like it, my wife and I may start hitting the theater more anyways.

Im sorry, but Im not going to support Netflix anymore than I have to now, this was just a crappy way to do subs. Id go to BB 100% if they had good service around here.

I get what your saying, but movie theaters raise their prices too.

Hell, a non-matinee movie at our local theater is around $9 per ticket now a days! By the time I buy a ticket for myself and one for the wife, that could've paid for an entire month of service through Blockbuster Online!

What are some better ways to handle this? I still think they are not making as much money on BD rentals as DVD. Almost all my movies come on BD. They cost 60% more than DVD, but they are only charging about 30% more than regular DVD.

I get what your saying, but movie theaters raise their prices too.

Hell, a non-matinee movie at our local theater is around $9 per ticket now a days! By the time I buy a ticket for myself and one for the wife, that could've paid for an entire month of service through Blockbuster Online!

I dont disagree, its just that we both get plenty of enjoyment out of the theater expereince, which an at home movie cant match. Price wasnt the real issue I quit going to the theater (we used to go once per week and use netflix for only the ones we missed), I quit going because our theater here in Williamsburg sucked. The new one will hopefully be much nicer, and we can eat dinner (prices are pretty good) and enjoy a flick.

i dropped mine to 1 at a time. i once had up tp 4 at a time with netflix. all there is left after this is to say see ya...... still thinking about BB though ;)

To me it's worth the minor "inconvenience" of heading out into the public and going into a store to basically guarantee I get the movie I want to see.

I can understand that, and it works well for you. Me, I can wait. Seeing it sooner is not that important to me. As it is I have disks sit around for a day or two or catch a movie on Dish, etc.
At least we all have options to fit our lifestyles! :up

What specifically is the big price hike supposed to help with... other than the usual 'more dvds'? I suppose if the wait times are dropped to something that is acceptable is the hike worth it? Actually I dont have a bluray yet but this topic interests me because if rentals are problematic at online stores (netflix or blockbuster) then I will probably wait further until the prices drop again this Christmas, or even after. I dont drive so going to the local store isnt convenient.

What specifically is the big price hike supposed to help with... other than the usual 'more dvds'? I suppose if the wait times are dropped to something that is acceptable is the hike worth it? Actually I dont have a bluray yet but this topic interests me because if rentals are problematic at online stores (netflix or blockbuster) then I will probably wait further until the prices drop again this Christmas, or even after. I dont drive so going to the local store isnt convenient.

It's reached the point where getting everyone over to BD has not been totally successful due to price, and those of us who took the leap are now getting hit with NF rates reflecting those prices.

That's not really accurate either, if you think about it, you would likely be paying even less at Blockbuster if BD was cheaper, even if you never rent one.

If 2 dollars crimps the budget then maybe people need to evaluate there lifestyle.
Eventually everything goes up or obsolete.

Evaluate my lifestyle. Why I certainly will.

Tomorrow I'll go to my business and raise our customer's usage fee 500%. I'll bet they won't see it as a slap in the face for their past patronage. It's just a matter of their priorities.

If Netflix would cut this fee in half-I'd stay with them.

Im willing to bet, if enough customers downgrade one tier, they lose money in the long run, then the availability doesnt matter. I hardly doubt the $3 theyll lose from me(and all the dough they are about to lose from everyone else) is worth the extra disc per week. Seems like you are the blind defender of the faith in this thread.

Hey, run the company like Dish Network and see how far it gets em.

Only 10 percent of the customers rent bluray. Blu rays cost 30 percent more
and netflix share went up 6 percent.

So instead of raising rates for 90 percent of the customers. they hit the 10 percent that uses a higher cost product.
Netflix to raise Blu-ray rates - Los Angeles Times

Netflix increasing Blu-ray prices

Online DVD rental leader Netflix is raising its prices for Blu-ray discs in a change that will triple or quadruple the high-definition surcharge on Netflix’s most popular subscription plans.

About 1 million of the subscribers are requesting Blu-ray discs instead of standard DVDs, and Blu-ray discs cost about 30 percent more. That means Netflix’s profit margins are being squeezed as it expands its high-definition inventory.

The company had been imposing a $1 monthly surcharge for Blu-ray rentals since September, regardless of how much the basic subscription plan costs.

Effective April 27, Netflix will adopt a sliding scale that will slap higher Blu-ray fees on plans that enable customers to check out multiple DVDs at a time.

Renters who pay $14 per month for Netflix’s two-DVD package will have to fork over another $3 if they want Blu-ray discs.

All monthly fees will remain the same for customers who exclusively rent standard DVDs.

Digest: New energy discovery off Israel | Business | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts