Netflix Raises Fees for Blu-Ray...AGAIN!!!

i was about to post the same :D that should be turned into a curse word for now on ;)

Actually its a cursed word. Say it enough and the Gods of Standards & Practices will rise and kill us all. Oh wait that was South Park. Then again, say that word too much more and the Gods of something or other will rise to smite us all down. I'm just not sure which ones yet. :D

well wife and I decided to try blockbuster, we weighed the streaming (which kids arent in doors enough to use it and wife and I dont really find alot we like on there) vs in store trading, blockbuster is well a block away, anyways we decided to see how it goes, if we like it then thank you netflix for making us choose the better option, and if not, then thank you netflix for being the better option.

well wife and I decided to try blockbuster, we weighed the streaming (which kids arent in doors enough to use it and wife and I dont really find alot we like on there) vs in store trading, blockbuster is well a block away, anyways we decided to see how it goes, if we like it then thank you netflix for making us choose the better option, and if not, then thank you netflix for being the better option.

:up
I like your attitude of gratitude. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that this thread turned into such a gripe session about both Netflix and Blockbuster's services and prices (and I've admitedly contributed my own gripes over the past couple of years.)

But since Feb. 2002 when I first heard of Netflix after gettting my first DVD player, I have saved in the 1000s of dollars on DVD rental/PPV/premium movie fees. The most recent BD price increase actually puts the plans that I've sub'd to at prices closer to when I first joined (lest we forget the price drops in late 2004.) Not to mention that services like Netflix have allowed me to take a chance on movies I would have never paid $4 to rent from a store or on PPV. Some have been duds, but many have been among the best movies I've seen.

As many have pointed out in this thread, PPV and in-store rental fees for BD are now at about $6/ea. On my 1-at-a-time plan, that now goes up to $10.99, if I watch only 4 BD movies a month, I still come out $13 ahead. That's not including the bit of streaming I might watch in the month.

So yeah, price hikes in a bad economy really suck, and if I was a 4 or 3-at-a-time plan, I would probably downgrade. But seriously, whether you go with Blockbuster or Netflix, this service is a STEAL!

I like your attitude of gratitude. I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that this thread turned into such a gripe session about both Netflix and Blockbuster's services and prices (and I've admitedly contributed my own gripes over the past couple of years.)

But since Feb. 2002 when I first heard of Netflix after gettting my first DVD player, I have saved in the 1000s of dollars on DVD rental/PPV/premium movie fees. The most recent BD price increase actually puts the plans that I've sub'd to at prices closer to when I first joined (lest we forget the price drops in late 2004.) Not to mention that services like Netflix have allowed me to take a chance on movies I would have never paid $4 to rent from a store or on PPV. Some have been duds, but many have been among the best movies I've seen.

As many have pointed out in this thread, PPV and in-store rental fees for BD are now at about $6/ea. On my 1-at-a-time plan, that now goes up to $10.99, if I watch only 4 BD movies a month, I still come out $13 ahead. That's not including the bit of streaming I might watch in the month.

So yeah, price hikes in a bad economy really suck, and if I was a 4 or 3-at-a-time plan, I would probably downgrade. But seriously, whether you go with Blockbuster or Netflix, this service is a STEAL!

Could not agree more.:up:up

But since Feb. 2002 when I first heard of Netflix after gettting my first DVD player, I have saved in the 1000s of dollars on DVD rental/PPV/premium movie fees.
When I got my first DVD player in 1999, blockbuster had a 30 for 30 deal (I think that's what it was called). 30 movies in 30 days, but they actually allowed you 30 movies in a 90 day period for $30. You could use one of the rentals per day, pretty good deal. They gave me a card and I was off to the races. 90 days passed and I was still using the card. 120 days passed and I was still using the card. Probably about 5 months went by and an employee questioned the card. He said they did away with the old style of card I had because there were issues not being able to put an expiration on it. He said I could use it for one more month. He was able to pull up my rental history. 150! 150 rentals for $30. Even with the Netflix price increase I'm still in the black. :D

Last edited:

The headline of the article is a bit misleading. It is a bit truncated. Within the article the full reading is this: "May not be able to continue as a going concern". "Going concern" is an accounting term used by independent auditors.

Once determined that a company cannot be considered a going concern the skids to bankruptcy are greased. This does not necessarily mean liquidation. Filing for bankruptcy protection will allow BB the potential to stiff its creditors and renegotiate its thousands of bricks and mortar leases. It could emerge leaner and stronger. K-Mart did this and purchased Sears shortly after emerging from bankruptcy protection.

The airlines seem to do it a a matter of practice.

Ya, not a surprise, just makes suspicions a little more concrete/official.

I had no idea they were having problems. Suppose the costs associated with running all those stores is too high or they dont generate enough revenue to offset them.

I'd seen it casually mentioned around here from time to time that BB might not be able to make it and that we could see something soon. Or am I just imagining things? It just hasn't really made headlines because there wasn't much reportable I thought.

In times of recession and crap economies, market leaders tend to grow, not shrink/fall. Bankruptcy protection could prove to be a huge opportunity for BB to get themselves re situated and take advantage of the pain their competitors are feeling.

A few dollars will be enough for some to change from one service to another. If you have no intention of doing store rentals, and rent a good number of movies per month, NF is still a great deal IMO.

The exchange system by BB is a good alternative for those willing to drop in a store now and then.

The way I see it either one (or both?) offers something for the avid movie renter. Until VOD gets better and cheaper, renting is here to stay, and I doubt anyone is going to upset NF's apple cart if BB goes under unless it is VOD or something similar that only requires minimum effort and reasonable pricing from the consumer and similar quality.

Of course, lower BD prices would certainly help all around. Now Sony is pushing hard on BD audio as a medium. Be nice to get BD video more settled in first, with lower costs before adding another format to audio only.

I just changed my mind, Netflix has been canceled completely. Now that TiVo has Amazon Vod HD movies, and my local Redbox units have Blu-ray, Netflix can shove their fee.

I'm sure NF is crying now... lol

Redbox is never mentioned too much.. good for grab a movie on the go, but I see you can reserve movies online too...

Have never used them, as I am spoiled by not having to get out my car to get movies..of course, they are in the same stores I go to also, but never paid much attention to them.
Plus, we live in a rural area and try to consolidate our trips to town (7 miles) to as few as possible, so returning them would be more of a hassle. But I like the concept.

I have been very happy with blockbuster so far, and we have watched about 6 movies as my son likes to pick them out and its neat for him to actually see the covers and pick something he wants (or thinks he wants as he is only 21 months old)

I'm sure NF is crying now... lol

Redbox is never mentioned too much.. good for grab a movie on the go, but I see you can reserve movies online too...

Have never used them, as I am spoiled by not having to get out my car to get movies..of course, they are in the same stores I go to also, but never paid much attention to them.
Plus, we live in a rural area and try to consolidate our trips to town (7 miles) to as few as possible, so returning them would be more of a hassle. But I like the concept.

The Netflix CEO recently stated that their biggest competition would be Redbox. He expects them to have setups in 20,000 locations this year, and now they are moving in to BR's.

The Redbox site is great because you can find the movie you want near your house (I have 4 boxes within 5 miles) and reserve it online, then you pick it up on the way home. Netflix should be worried.

My only complaint is that you cant yet reserve BR's online. It appears Amazon's VOD downloads for the TiVo look good like the Vudu HDX movies, so thatll be a great option for me.

I hadn't really heard of red box before this thread. I checked locations near me, but none are really convenient, some in neighborhoods I normally wouldn't venture into. :eek: Maybe the five Blockbusters within a three mile radius of my house are keeping them out of my part of town.

I think RB is a good option, and maybe a stronger business base than BB. But NF still works best for my particular situation, and that's what it is all about, what makes it work best for the individual. Choices are nice, and hopefully improved VOD will offer more as time goes on also.

I'd seen them but hadn't really paid much attention to them. I also see 'redbox monday codes zomg!' twittered out by people I follow on occasion for free rentals. There's always a line of 2-3 people at Albertsons whenever I'm there.

Perhaps this warrants a thread of it's own?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts