Netflix users don't want ads

Reactions: Bobby
Netflix is ad free? Never would have guessed it with all of the product placement for Coke and a lesser extent for Burger King in Stranger Things 3. Better then real commercials, but when it's forced, its too much. Like Subway and Chuck.

Pepsico must not have paid anywhere near as much as their competitor, all they had were a couple of soda fountains at the Starcourt and Hopper eating Tostito's in the opening scene.

Netflix is ad free? Never would have guessed it with all of the product placement for Coke and a lesser extent for Burger King in Stranger Things 3. Better then real commercials, but when it's forced, its too much. Like Subway and Chuck.

Pepsico must not have paid anywhere near as much as their competitor, all they had were a couple of soda fountains at the Starcourt and Hopper eating Tostito's in the opening scene.
Um, you'll find that in every movie released today in the movie theater. It's been going on for decades. Nothing to see here, move along....

Um, you'll find that in every movie released today in the movie theater. It's been going on for decades. Nothing to see here, move along....

Yes, product placement has been going on forever, but have you watched Stranger Things 3?

Stranger Things is being criticised for the heavy product placement in season 3 - PopBuzz
Netflix's 'Stranger Things' revives New Coke. Here's how the failed soda cost Coca-Cola millions in 1985
Netflix’s ‘Stranger Things’ is dangerously close to becoming ‘Sponsored Things’

There is such as thing as too much, ya know.

Again, it's too much! Not a hard concept to get.

I don't care how long it's been going on, I felt like I was watching a 7 hour commercial for Coke. A casual mention here and there or an item in the background is one thing, forced product placement in scene after scene after scene is just annoying.

Reactions: Elsguy and TheKrell
Again, it's too much! Not a hard concept to get.

I don't care how long it's been going on, I felt like I was watching a 7 hour commercial for Coke. A casual mention here and there or an item in the background is one thing, forced product placement in scene after scene after scene is just annoying.

Then don't watch it. Problem solved.

Reactions: Gobucks and Bobby
Had I known, I might night have.

Anyhow, now that T-Mobile is passing the latest price increase on to 'Netflix on Us' subscribers, I am canceling. Netflix is in no way worth $2 to keep it. Traditional satellite and cable are superior anyway.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Had I known, I might night have.

Anyhow, now that T-Mobile is passing the latest price increase on to 'Netflix on Us' subscribers, I am canceling. Netflix is in no way worth $2 to keep it. Traditional satellite and cable are superior anyway.

Yeah, "Netflix on Us" isn't really "on us" if you have to pay for part of it

Reactions: TheKrell
We tried product placement in our TV Shopper shows once but discovered it was more trouble than it was worth. Managing it before the taping, then getting our client to agree... just got to be a PIA so we ditched the idea and just did commercial breaks for 3 x 2 minutes.

Traditional satellite and cable are superior anyway.
Disagree! The only remaining benefit is the DVR and I wonder about that too with so much on demand content in the cloud you can watch anytime anywhere. I recently discovered having Showtime service on IPTV gets me hundreds times more selection than what the Showtime on Dish Network offers. Not all content in IPTV is $$ either. I have 20 networks of programs on demand to choose from that are free. As soon as I can find a DVR of IPTV that tunes my local TV channels and DVR's them the dish comes down and I save $100 a month. It also has to do 4K HDR too.

I find myself more and more annoyed by promos that are jammed in before my chosen program starts. I think it has to do with my experience with the movie plexes back in the day as promos replaced shorts. HBO is really bad about filling up any breaks in programming with promos and sometimes the promos repeat within a break. I was noticing this with Netflix and Amazon Prime is getting pretty bad about this too.

I recently discovered having Showtime service on IPTV gets me hundreds times more selection than what the Showtime on Dish Network offers.
A DISH subscription to Showtime gives you access to most all of Showtime's OTT content and I expect that the business model will go more and more in that direction. HBO Go .vs. HBO Now has always been confusing but in the end, you get the same programming either way -- it comes down to when you can get it and how.

DISH could stand to upgrade their demand apps for the movie services but they have to keep an eye on fairness to those who don't have good broadband access.

If Netflix adds commercials, then I'm gone. I'm paying for ad-free movies and now it just went up to almost $16/month. I won't put up with commercials at that price. Maybe at $10/month, some ads in some programming might be tolerable, but to pay yet more for an "ad-free" tier - they're nuts if they think I'd go for that!

Reactions: osu1991
Let’s keep in mind that this was a study. Netflix has not said they were going to do it at all. The results of the study said that 23% would drop their subscription unless the monthly cost dropped. So, let’s say they decide to do just that. They add the third tier with ads at a greatly reduced price. More options isn’t a bad thing.

Reactions: Gobucks
I always pay for the ad-free experience on Hulu and CBS All Access. I would also do so on Netflix. If it gets too expensive though, it might become like those other OTT services where I don't subscribe every month.

If they offered a " free" ad supported service
Let’s keep in mind that this was a study. Netflix has not said they were going to do it at all. The results of the study said that 23% would drop their subscription unless the monthly cost dropped. So, let’s say they decide to do just that. They add the third tier with ads at a greatly reduced price. More options isn’t a bad thing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

I can live with ads based on a few requirements.

1) Not frequent! Sling has VOD via TNT and they plug in a couple commercials every 20 minutes it seems. That works well enough for me.

2) Change the commercials up. My greatest hatred of ‘free’ streaming Roku channels isn’t necessarily the ads, but the same one or two... over and over and over...

I still see a psychiatrist after NBC’s olympics streaming that inserted the same commercial for Seinfeld’s very short lived ‘psychology’ with celebrities, ie they watch videos of couples having issues and they make fun of it. Watched that commercial probably 50 to 100 times. I still hate Santa over the NFL glitch showing the IBM Santa commercial on every break during an AFC Championship game.

3) Need a discount of some sort. My eyeballs are revenue now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)