Network waiver requirements

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cartdan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Apr 18, 2004
Can anyone give me a link to the FCC regulations that require a local station to grant a waiver in order to allow me to receive the distant network signals on D*?

I am unable to receive any OTA signals at my location because I am behind a mountain. Due to this, one of my local affiliates granted me the waiver without a problem, but the other one insists that they don't have to because their "station is currently on the dish" and that according to SHVIA 1999 that I must submit my request through the satellite carrier anyway, and not them. I already submitted the waiver requests through D* long ago, and they were all rejected by the local stations.

I would like to get the waiver in place so that I can watch the upcoming NBC Olympic broadcasts in HD.

I'm not sure how to proceed - any help / advice is appreciated.

- Dan

cartdan said:
I would like to get the waiver in place so that I can watch the upcoming NBC Olympic broadcasts in HD.

I'm not sure how to proceed...
Call DirecTV and request a signal test at your address, because your waivers were denied by the local stations. However, since your locals are available on satellite, they may refuse to do this.

The easiest way to get the distant nets is to just "move" your service address to a white area. Keep your mailing address and phone number as is.

Here is the link you requested http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/satellite.html This was updated a few days ago too.

White area is the best way, locating a white area can be done by using the same DecisionMark database that D offers on their site. This is frowned upon but feel free to do as you like.

White areas

Not only is it frowned upon.. it's illegal. I'm going to disregard seeing this posting and inform you to watch out... the local affilitates are checking now, if they dispute and find you in fault.... that's a hefty fine.
Please, call us... ask us to run the waivers again and stipulate that you live surrounded by mountains... then if the waivers are denied... request us to do a signal meter test... if the waivers are denied, we can't deny you.

Your friendly DTV Res Spec
white_knight_2010@yahoo.com

I live about 10 miles from our towers. CBS-HD is the weakest signal we get. Every other channel is quite strong and I'm pleased with that. I've tried to see about getting the CBS-HD channel from you guys based off a weak signal and was told by my local affiliate that they don't do waivers, and if you have been reading all my customer notes you would have seen that I called the other day about getting a waiver sent on my behalf from you guys. I doubt the answer will be yes but I had to at least try. I told the CSR to make sure to put in the waiver that I only wanted the HD channel, even though you guys also have to provide the standard definition of the distant net channel too.

If I'm denied it no biggie, but it would be nice to have a nice clear CBS-HD to watch.

if you can understand all this jargon..

Let me know. Well I tried to find the maps of the "white areas" in my neck of the woods, to no avail. Obviously this is a federal government site, where nothing is labeled or user friendly. Maybe you could put it in simplyier terms for those who are governmentally challlanged .

Find a town on a map out in the boonies in a hilly area, but down near a creek or stream (low elevation). To get a list of addresses in that town, enter the town and state only at:
http://wp.netscape.com/netcenter/whitereverse.html
Try addresses found addresses at:
http://directvdnseligibility.decisionmark.com/
Add an apartment number to the address (in case the address already has D* service).

If you find an eligible address, call D* and "move" to the new address, and keep your existing mailing address. Tell them your phone number won't change and you've done a self-install.

directvrep said:
Not only is it frowned upon.. it's illegal. I'm going to disregard seeing this posting and inform you to watch out... the local affilitates are checking now, if they dispute and find you in fault.... that's a hefty fine.
Please, call us... ask us to run the waivers again and stipulate that you live surrounded by mountains... then if the waivers are denied... request us to do a signal meter test... if the waivers are denied, we can't deny you.

Everything is illegal. People do illegal actions to get around the crap that is imposed on us because of greed. Im not indorsing this action...Im just saying that I would like the west coast feeds of the DTV local ch's ...I think everyone would. Because of greed it is illegal. Crap...I have heard it all. Getting fined because you paid your bill and just wanted to watch your local affilate's dig transmition. Whats the world coming to. What about the billion of people who steal tv instead of paying for it like you should. I pay over 150 bucks a mth for my tv services and if I cant get my local NBC aff dig ch...I cant get and East Coast NBC piped into me? Just because they dont want to give you a waiver? Something is wrong here.

directvrep said:

ILLEGAL?!?! how does that work? LOL, screw the weak affiliates .. give it to me digital ... just kidding, LMAO! Is it really illegal? I only ask because I have been thinking of "moving" to NYC.

Neutron said:
I live about 10 miles from our towers. CBS-HD is the weakest signal we get. Every other channel is quite strong and I'm pleased with that. I've tried to see about getting the CBS-HD channel from you guys based off a weak signal and was told by my local affiliate that they don't do waivers, and if you have been reading all my customer notes you would have seen that I called the other day about getting a waiver sent on my behalf from you guys. I doubt the answer will be yes but I had to at least try. I told the CSR to make sure to put in the waiver that I only wanted the HD channel, even though you guys also have to provide the standard definition of the distant net channel too.

If I'm denied it no biggie, but it would be nice to have a nice clear CBS-HD to watch.
Jason are you in Phoenix .. I have had lengthy discussions with Seth Parker ....

I don't see how this is illegal, lying yes but illegal?? The more important question is, who is going to catch you??? Are they really going to send someone to the house and ask to see the receiver and make sure that you are where you say you are?? The possibility of that happening is like, I don't know......0%.

All I want is the distant net HD channel. I could care less about the SD distant net.

I would like CBS HD because my local affiliate's digital channel blows. I have 3 CBS's that claim I am grade B. My local affiliate granted me a waiver and so did another. The 3rd is a Young Broadcasting channel and those maggots deny any and all requests for waivers. So no CBS HD for me. :(

Hold on, so you're saying you have to get approval from ALL three of the affiliates before getting the CBS-HD channel?? That doesn't make sense.

Yep because of the way the law is setup if a station claims you as grade B contour you not only need your DMA affiliate but you need the others as well. Great law huh? :(

I don't think it will make a difference, but I did send a message to my congressman asking for an amendment to the SHVA act allowing us to add distant network HD without a waiver.

Someone will always whine about making the local choice if available the only one they will give you.

We have all these laws promoting competition in all areas of life, from phone service to electricity to televsion providers, yet they make you watch the local network if available to monopolize the market for a certain network.

I would like a reciever that gets 500 local channels from around the US. If you have an interest in a speicifc area you can watch CBS Atlanta or NBC Denver or whatever you wish. All in HD of course. How much bandwidth you think THAT would need??!!

Remember how tricky it was to get any locals 4 years ago? I remember having to proove no signal to get any local channels, and even then they were either just New York or L.A., no in betwen like we have now. I was actually shocked to here that i would get local Phoenix channels here when i signed up, i thought it would be a NY or LA feed, not actual local channels....!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)