networking for vod in Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.

zcarguy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 22, 2007
Hope someone can help me. I want to take advantage of vod and streaming music/picutures and video from my networked pc's. Howerver I live in Canada. I have never hooked up a phone line to one of my boxes for fear of DTV cancelling my sub. Would hooking up through ethernet not show dtv my ipaddress and thus show them I am in Canada?

On a side note I have at DTiVo that has been networked for a couple of years now, without any problems but I don't think DTV has any way to comunicate with that box.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Z

I have more than 1 receiver - only 1 networked HR20.

Why do you think that would make a difference?

Thanks,

Z

Last edited:
yes, i guess you are right. In actual fact i orginally wanted to network my HR 20 for streaming local content. I actually had no idea about the VOD until I read further. The VOD seems cool though. Maybe there is a way to have the hr20 access my local pcs without having access to the internet. Not sure if this is possible - anyone know?

Z

Depending on your home setup; If you assign an IP to your HR20 I would think you should be able to block that IP to having access to anything other than your LAN

charper1,

Can you explain exactly how your idea would be done? I have a D-link Di-704p router. I also have a DI-624 wireless router acting as a wireless access point. The HR20 will be hard wired into the 704p.

jtn,

they are not operating in Canada. That is why I started the thread.

Thanks,

Z

Old thread I know, but...
I was wondering if anyone has successfully set up their dtv receiver for networking in Canada. I would love to take advantage of this service but I am also concerned about dtc flagging my account due to being "up north" and therefore being shut off.

The HR2x calls home. This is how it can do remote booking and VOD. The outbound IP address from your installation will show you as being from Canada if someone chooses to look. They might not notice, but they would have to be pointedly ignoring it since you posted the question on one of the main sites discussing the HD DVR.

They can simply pull the logs once a week and find the non-US IP addresses that call home to DirecTV. Then they match that up with the account number and you get a call wondering why you have a US service in Canada.

The HR2x calls home. This is how it can do remote booking and VOD. The outbound IP address from your installation will show you as being from Canada if someone chooses to look. They might not notice, but they would have to be pointedly ignoring it since you posted the question on one of the main sites discussing the HD DVR.

They can simply pull the logs once a week and find the non-US IP addresses that call home to DirecTV. Then they match that up with the account number and you get a call wondering why you have a US service in Canada.

They may even have an automated program to do this...how hard would it be?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)