networking

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

highspeedmike

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2010
idaho
i am trying to network two houses together. useing a netgear WRN2000 for secondary router (cascading it). i set this up at home with my linkesy router and all worked fine was able to log into eather router and get internet.
took it to cx home and it would not work.
i checked cable conections (CAT 5E) all wires have conecttivity (used meter to check for shorts) cable seems great
i am hooking it up to a quest PK500 modem/router 271 ft cable. (from everything i read thats not to long should go 329 ft)
is there different configureations i should use with the PK500?

i set secondary router like this

Power down your router & computer that you will configure the routers with, and plug an ethernet cable from computer to any of your 1-4 ports on your "secondary" router. Then power on your router, let it cycle, and then power up the computer that you will configure with.

Access your routers setup page via web browser (e.g. 192.168.1.1)

When the initial page loads:

Locate the Local IP Address, and assign your "secondary" (wireless) router a new address of "192.168.1.2".

Locate the DHCP Server, and set it to "disable".
Save Settings

Now you are going to change pages to Advanced Routing:

Locate the Operating Mode, and set it to "Router".

Save Settings

Now you are going to connect your "primary" and "secondary" routers:

Connect your broadband modem to the Wan Port (Uplink/Intranet) of your "primary" router.

Connect your "primary" router to your "secondary" via any of the numbered ports that are open on both routers.

Lastly, shut down, and reconnect the ethernet cables of any computers that are left to connect to your network. Boot them up, and Viola! You should have internet, and file-sharing capability amongst all computers on your network.

any ideas what wrong with this setup. i have been reading for two days trying to figure out how to get this thing up. i need to get it working next trip out
thank mike

I once tried to set up two routers off one cable modem and even with manual settings, it didn't work. I tried all sorts of set up procedures and none would work. I'd be curious if you find a way. Later, I was talking to a cable internet engineer and he told me there was no way to run two routers off their modem. Only one could be provisioned at the head end. He suggested I use a single router and then either use repeaters on wifi ( what I have now) as well as a single ethernet cable to a distant switch, also what I use in the home theater.

You can also buy a dual channel router but this has more to do with running both 802.11g plus an N gigabit signal for HD video transfer services to special devices that use that. Some day I think all of us will be using these dual channel systems. I recently priced these routers and they run about $240 vs. the basic G version that was $50 for my needs.

You could use something beyond the router that would bridge the connections. The cheapest item you can get right now with great power is ubiquiti products for around the same price as a wireless router. Basically it would be an AP (access point) just like a router but not hand out addresses. It would pass that data along to the router to do that part. Wireless internet service providers use those.

You need a different address on router 2

Router 1 (plugged into cable modem): WAN dhcp (set by cable modem) LAN 192.168.1.1

Router 2 (plugged into router 1): WAN 192.168.1.2, LAN 10.0.0.1

That way they do not get confused trying to route subnets

I once tried to set up two routers off one cable modem and even with manual settings, it didn't work. I tried all sorts of set up procedures and none would work. I'd be curious if you find a way. Later, I was talking to a cable internet engineer and he told me there was no way to run two routers off their modem. Only one could be provisioned at the head end. He suggested I use a single router and then either use repeaters on wifi ( what I have now) as well as a single ethernet cable to a distant switch, also what I use in the home theater.

You can also buy a dual channel router but this has more to do with running both 802.11g plus an N gigabit signal for HD video transfer services to special devices that use that. Some day I think all of us will be using these dual channel systems. I recently priced these routers and they run about $240 vs. the basic G version that was $50 for my needs.

I never knew that routers need to be provisioned.

I never knew that routers need to be provisioned.

The ISP will want to see your Router's Mac address. If you have several Router's connected, which Mac address will you use? If you have just one computer connected to your modem, the computer's Mac address gets sent to your ISP. I'm no network engineer but this is how I understand it as it was explained to me. I'm open to getting new info on what is going on but bottom line is, I was told they do not allow several routers ( more than one) on a cable modem. Maybe setting up different subnets is a way around it as Mike briefly explained. Can this be used to have two or more DHCP routers?

In my case, I resolved it with a stronger RF signal and a repeater. ;)

Every ISP has its own rules that can be different.

Our local telecom for example (MTS), uses PPPoE, hands out only one IP address and triggers an IP change the moment you attempt entering your network from outside.
The local cable co. (Shaw) uses DHCP, hands out two IP addresses and couldn't care less about connecting from the outside.

Both will assign you the same IP for months at a time as long as you don't change the device interfacing the modem.
I use Shaw as my ISP with a non-business account ($40, 7Mbps, unenforced limit of 60GB/month).

All setups I've seen (including in Germany, UK, France and Russia) follow the same rules.
One network interface - either a router or a PC NIC - faces the modem (being it telco or cable).
That interface MAC is seen by the modem. Unless it is blacklisted, it gets an IP address from the ISP.

The ISP doesn't care what happens behind that router (I run three more behind the main).
Just don't ask them how to fix things if something goes wrong.

The two most common problems when configuring cascading setups are:
a)using the same subnet IP on both WAN and LAN sides (what Mike said above); and b) using two DHCP servers on the same subnet.

Diogen.

How do you connect the two houses? CAT5 or Wi-Fi? CAT5 has a length limitation that may be coming into play. Did you use the same cable for your testing that you used in the field? Also, given Don's recent story about lightning and some of my previous experiences, you don't want metallic connections for data between two buildings.

How do you connect the two houses? CAT5 or Wi-Fi? CAT5 has a length limitation that may be coming into play. Did you use the same cable for your testing that you used in the field? Also, given Don's recent story about lightning and some of my previous experiences, you don't want metallic connections for data between two buildings.

The longest Cat5 cable you can have it something like 350 feet, Cat6 would be 600 feet.

thanks to those who replied. with the info i got here and a couple more days of reading i think i got enough info to get this network up. going to try tomorrow i will post working setup incase someone else needs the info hopefully tomorrow
thanks mike

changed setup a little to include sid and security, so the costumer has same setup either place.
but my main prolbem was need to make the cable a cross over since both devices had a buit in cross over
thank again for the help got me going in right direction
mike

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts