Neusat HD 9000

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I don't think they really care what we want-if it's not helping the hacker market I doubt it's a big priority..so the computer cards and quali-tv prob will be it for us. Unless dish and bell change to 4.2.2 anytime soon.

What is bad for the hackers can be good for others....

From day one, my goal was to get the PBS HD feed. I'm not all that into sports, so I'm hoping 4:2:2 won't bite me later with PBS :confused:

I was looking for an inexpensive way to achieve my goal. The Neusat HD box, assuming it works, was showing up on ebay at bargain prices.

Lots of Googling took me places I rather not go :eek: (I do like the Google Cache feature)! From the looks of it, Neusat isn't getting too much 'support' from certain groups.

I just picked up a NEW Neusat 9000 HD for $165, shipped, on ebay. It should be here Friday, so I'll either be very :D or very :( by the weekend...

If the Neusat only handles PBS HD and nothing else, I still have my Fortec to play with.

You'll have to let us know about it then, I might decide to go for one. Right now I'm just not going to blow 300-400 on a box that doesn't do it all. I read a long thread on the 4dtv forum about the 4.2.2 issue, and what they came up with made sense-that the main reason none of the fta rec do 4.2.2 now is money. A microprocessor that does that format may cost a manufacturer another dollar, and since there's not a huge demand for it, they stick with the cheapest parts to build all these things.

You'll have to let us know about it then, I might decide to go for one.

I will certainly do so...

I was in the same boat. With all of the discussions of 4:2:2, I was thinking that HD FTA was a moving target and that I would hold off for a while. I also didn't know if MPEG4 was going to become an issue in the FTA arena.

I considered a Quali-TV, but if I was hesitant to spend $300-400, I sure wasn't going to spend more.

I just want PBS HD. Anything else is gravy. At this price, I could take a chance.

I will certainly do so...

I was in the same boat. With all of the discussions of 4:2:2, I was thinking that HD FTA was a moving target and that I would hold off for a while. I also didn't know if MPEG4 was going to become an issue in the FTA arena.

I considered a Quali-TV, but if I was hesitant to spend $300-400, I sure wasn't going to spend more.

I just want PBS HD. Anything else is gravy. At this price, I could take a chance.

It says you are from NC, well if you are close enough to SC and can use an OTA, PBS HD is the 3rd subchannel on PBS across the state.

It says you are from NC, well if you are close enough to SC and can use an OTA, PBS HD is the 3rd subchannel on PBS across the state.

I'm not close enough to SC to get anything OTA :( but thanks for the idea...

In the Raleigh area, WUNC is the local PBS affiliate and they only broadcast HD OTA 8-11PM, unless you are on the local cable provider (which I am not), which runs 24/7.

? $ !

I just picked up a NEW Neusat 9000 HD for $165, shipped, on ebay.
For $465, they can stuff it.
For $365, they're getting warm.
For $265, they've got my attention. (probably a fair price)
For $165, I can do without some features, and still find a home for it.

The big wish-list is: 4:2:2, blind scan, PVR, etc.
Maybe if it just gives good: USALS, diseqc, and blind scan, that'd be enough.

Looking forward to your report on the unit.

I'm not close enough to SC to get anything OTA :( but thanks for the idea...

In the Raleigh area, WUNC is the local PBS affiliate and they only broadcast HD OTA 8-11PM, unless you are on the local cable provider (which I am not), which runs 24/7.

Both local PBS and WUNC here run 8-11pm on HD sub-channel, SECTV ?(south carolina PBS) seems to run it's HD sub-channel 24/7. I suppose if you work at night it would be a problem...you could always put an HD card in your computer and record stuff....

I received my Neusat 9000 HD late yesterday, but other than connecting the cables and powering it up successfully, I have not had a chance to check it out yet.

Maybe if it just gives good: USALS, diseqc, and blind scan, that'd be enough.

Looking forward to your report on the unit.

I hope to be able to provide additional feedback over the next few days.

???? anything yet? Wanna know how, or if, the blind scan works (if it claims to have it)....point on AMC1 ku and scan in those 4.2.2 feeds &see if it locks up or not, we are holding on for a report !

I hate when work gets in the way of fun!

I probably won't get a chance to give it a workout until at least Thursday evening, and more likely Saturday.

My dish is mounted on a temporary fixture and is apparently slightly off a bit. I can get the usual channels on AMC5 (my true south satellite), but only a few on AMC3, and the quality on both satellites is low. So a little alignment is going to have to accompany the testing.

The receiver does support USALS and DiSEqc for motor control.

No PVR function is apparent (I wasn't expecting it), but I'll have to plug in a USB HDD and see if anything new shows up ;)

I will try AMC1 for 4:2:2, but I think jgbayless already indicated that it did not do 4:2:2.

I will also try the blind scan and report back.

Okay, so here is the latest.

On AMC 1, I entered the TPs for the 4:2:2 feeds from Lyngsat and scanned those TPs. It added a number of generic channel names (9A, 10A, etc). On those channels it did not lock up, nor display picture. I did not have sound, but I don't know if there was anything on those channels at that time. I can try it again later.

I never saw if jgbayless ever got PBS HD working on his Neusat. At the moment, I am without PBS HD, even though the scan of AMC3 finds the other usual assortment of channels that I saw on my Fortec.

The Neusat hits AMC3, 12140V, SR30000, shows signal/quality, but never reports that a channel was found! I also tried 12138V, SR3000 from TheList. No channel.

Quality for most TPs is usally mid-to-high 60s, with some into the 90s (12008V). The TP quality for PBS HD is 69%.

I have done the following to try to improve the situation:

* Removed the DiSEqc switch
* Removed the Motor connection (receiver directly connected to LNB)
* Replaced the tie-wrapped QPH-031 with the original Primestar LNB (connected to V side)!!!

Scanned, and scanned some more...

No PBS HD!!!

Maybe tomorrow something obvious will jump out at me, but for now, no HD. :(

Ideas are always welcome.

Hopefully I have some more time to try again soon.

Sounds like good signal on pbs-hd, not sure why it's not working for you. May have to adjust that primestar lnbf's skew some to see if the #'s go any higher. Check one of those charts online to see what skew is for your area on amc3 (if you're still using a temp dish mount with no motor)
I've gotten strong signals like that before with a primestar lnb but nothing, then turned the lnbf in its holder 30-40degrees opposite and picture popped in.

Turbo, the P* dish is still mounted to the SG-2100 and the motor is pointed to AMC3, so I assumed that the skew was already set.

I will still play around with it this weekend; it can't hurt.

Ok if you're motorized the skew should be ok, provided it was set at zero on your south satellite,, and you get the other sats' channels ok. I read another forum last night on that model receiver, seems like there was some problems with switches and blind scan didnt always work reliably, but a few said 'hd looks good' so it must be working for some people with that unit.

I PM'ed jgbayless to find out what he was able to get.

Call me optimistic, but I also have an email and a phone call into Neusat USA support.

If the 9000 can't get the ONE LEGIT FTA HD channel properly, then I'd say we know where the company's focus is...

Okay, so here is the latest.

On AMC 1, I entered the TPs for the 4:2:2 feeds from Lyngsat and scanned those TPs. It added a number of generic channel names (9A, 10A, etc). On those channels it did not lock up, nor display picture. I did not have sound, but I don't know if there was anything on those channels at that time. I can try it again later.

I never saw if jgbayless ever got PBS HD working on his Neusat. At the moment, I am without PBS HD, even though the scan of AMC3 finds the other usual assortment of channels that I saw on my Fortec.

The Neusat hits AMC3, 12140V, SR30000, shows signal/quality, but never reports that a channel was found! I also tried 12138V, SR3000 from TheList. No channel.

Quality for most TPs is usally mid-to-high 60s, with some into the 90s (12008V). The TP quality for PBS HD is 69%.

I have done the following to try to improve the situation:

* Removed the DiSEqc switch
* Removed the Motor connection (receiver directly connected to LNB)
* Replaced the tie-wrapped QPH-031 with the original Primestar LNB (connected to V side)!!!

Scanned, and scanned some more...

No PBS HD!!!

Maybe tomorrow something obvious will jump out at me, but for now, no HD. :(

Ideas are always welcome.

Hopefully I have some more time to try again soon.

I'm having the same issue with a cband feed on amc 4. Plenty of quality on the TP. But, when i scan it no channels are found. So far the only HD channel I've been able to view is one on G10. Picture quality through HDMI is superb. Can't wait to catch some Sports HD feeds. Hopefully this box will find the channel after scan though. I wonder what's up with it not actually finding and displaying the channels? :confused:

Last edited:
Just wanted to give another report on the NEUSATHD. Right now I am watching a FootballHD feed on galaxy 25. Scanned in no problems and the picture quality is incredible. This box was worth the $130 i paid for it. :D

Just wanted to give another report on the NEUSATHD. Right now I am watching a FootballHD feed on galaxy 25. Scanned in no problems and the picture quality is incredible. This box was worth the $130 i paid for it. :D

I'm glad to hear that you can at least get it to display SOMETHING in HD!! :up

I'm chasing a few options.

I actually TALKED on the phone today with a Neusat USA tech. The tech said that it should work (do ya think?). He told me he would look into it and get back to me. I guess I am the eternal optimist. Of course I didn't actually expect to get to talk to a tech, so...

I'm going to reset to factory defaults and try again.

I may reload the factory bin (which it already has installed).

I also considered loading a "non-factory" bin to see if it worked. I am not interested in seeing any non-factory channels though!

I'm glad to hear that you can at least get it to display SOMETHING in HD!! :up

I'm chasing a few options.

I actually TALKED on the phone today with a Neusat USA tech. The tech said that it should work (do ya think?). He told me he would look into it and get back to me. I guess I am the eternal optimist. Of course I didn't actually expect to get to talk to a tech, so...

I'm going to reset to factory defaults and try again.

I may reload the factory bin (which it already has installed).

I also considered loading a "non-factory" bin to see if it worked. I am not interested in seeing any non-factory channels though!

I'm sure there will be some KU HD feeds tomorrow or sunday that you can check out. Should give you an idea if the box works or not and it's not something in the PBS stream that's confusing the box. Don't give up yet.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)