New 42" Philips Ambilight

Neutron

Founding Supporter
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 7, 2003
Texas
Well, the wife and I finally replaced our 30" Widescreen CRT with a 42" Widescreen LCD for our bedroom.

It's the Philips Ambilight, as my wife LOVES that TV for some reason, lol. It's a very nice TV, and does 1080p just like our living room 57" DLP.

Philips has come a long way in recent years, and the price is good. Good luck with your new TV

Well, the wife and I finally replaced our 30" Widescreen CRT with a 42" Widescreen LCD for our bedroom.

It's the Philips Ambilight, as my wife LOVES that TV for some reason, lol. It's a very nice TV, and does 1080p just like our living room 57" DLP.
I like the picture Ive seen on the Phillips sets much better than Vizio.

Does the ambilight feature enhance the viewing experience or is it mostly gimmick?

hi guys
the light itself is a gimmic.
The set itself is very nice for the price. Consider calibration to maximize its performance.
Gregg

Does the ambilight feature enhance the viewing experience or is it mostly gimmick?
It is one of the technics used in front projection screens for years and in certain conditions can improve perceived contrast
(was really useful in the early days of digital projectors with limited contrast).

While watching very dark movie scenes, the lighting prevents your eye iris from opening too much causing the blacks look blacker.
Hence, perceived increase in contrast. To avoid "coloring", the light has to be neutral, and so should be the walls.

For projector setups you have to make sure there are no paths for the light to spill onto the screen and wash out the picture.

This scenario obviously doesn't work in brightly lit rooms.

Diogen.

hey diogen
the way it is implimented on the Philips is a gimmic.
The concept of a back light is grounded in imaging science. A back light should output about 10% of the emiting light output of the display. The light should emit a D65 color.

Gregg