New Access card

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jasond

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Hi, I've searched around a bit for an answer to this question, and can't seem to find anyone asking this particular question... so hopefully someone will be kind enough to set me straight and give me clear answer...

I want to add a third receiver to my service. I currently have the receiver, but no card. A few months ago I replaced this receiver with a DirecTivo unit. At the time I made the mistake of removing the card from the regular receiver. Of course, that resulted in my dog chewing it up. Yes, my dog ate it. So, I want to get an access card for this reciever (Hughes Directors Pack). I called DirecTV and they said the cards are on back order. I asked them about getting one off of ebay and the CSR said it had to be a NEW card... Can I purchase one of the ones from Ebay and hook it up?

Yes, I currently have a multiswitch, and I therefore have the one sat-out I need.

Thanks in advance.

-Jason

no.

"SOMETIMES" you can get lucky and buy a used receiver with card and get them to activate the card if it is of the newer generation cards, but they will in no way allow you to buy a card by itself and activate it regardless of how new.

charper1 said:
no.

"SOMETIMES" you can get lucky and buy a used receiver with card and get them to activate the card if it is of the newer generation cards, but they will in no way allow you to buy a card by itself and activate it regardless of how new.

Thanks for the info... I just called DirecTV again, this time the CSR said they could ship one out to me right away. Gotta wonder about such things.

So, I guess my curiosity is going to kill me on this one... who buys the cards on eBay and why? If they can't be used, what use is there? Or is this some sort of black-market for "reprogrammers"? very curious.

Thanks again.

-Jason

Thats the good thing about Dish Network, they dont make you get a new card everytime you want to activate a satellite receiver.

Is that kind of like the old "My dog ate my homework story"?

Seriously, a similar thing happened to me. My kids have pet rats and occasionally they are out of their cage briefly. I was installing a new DVR and one of then snatched the card and drug into its' cage and proceeded to chew holes in it.

When I called Directv the CSR was laughing so hard she could barely help me. They did ask that I cut the card up and return it and even sent a mailer with the new card.

Stargazer said:
Thats the good thing about Dish Network, they dont make you get a new card everytime you want to activate a satellite receiver.
You may find that changing as DISH Network swaps out the blue cards for the new yellow cards.
:) :) :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Antenna help

Nightly Downloads

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)