New Add-On Packages

Not hard to get, so long as you have a hd receiver with a G4 smart card
I'm talking about the "marketing", not the card, though that may be a qualifier. I have no idea what boxes have what "cards" since they are all built in, the last decade.

IF you want the Flex pack you have to call the CANCELLATION department and specifically request the FLEX Pack. They will connect you to the department that handles that request. Any other regular rep , will most likely not know what you are talking about. I went through 3 of them at different times of the day and night till I figured out just call to cancel and they will connect you directly to the FLex pack people.

Maybe I just got lucky with the routing of my call or the fact it was a weekend but I didn't ask to be connected to retention or anything, the lady I initially connected with knew all about it and hooked me right up.

Reactions: Tampa8
Well I got home and sure enough the following SD channels are now there in my guide:
362 Bet Gospel
363 Bet Soul
364 CMT Music
365 Bet Jams
366 MTV U music
368 Mtv Hits

Don't know if they will remain in the Flex pack , but for now they are there.

I currently have all of those as well. Will be curious to see if they stay in the Flex pack or not.

Reactions: brejust
Maybe I just got lucky with the routing of my call or the fact it was a weekend but I didn't ask to be connected to retention or anything, the lady I initially connected with knew all about it and hooked me right up.
Same thing happen to me today, as soon as i mention the flex pak, the gentleman know what i was talking about, upgraded me from the welcome pak to the flex pak, in less than 5 mins.

Reactions: TheKrell
I'm talking about the "marketing", not the card, though that may be a qualifier. I have no idea what boxes have what "cards" since they are all built in, the last decade.
G4 smart card is not built in, it's the new white and red smart card, i try to upgrade one of my account with G3 purple card, rep said no, he would have to replace my card, to me that would be the first step forward,

Here is a lineup update I put together with information:

The new Flex Package is now available on Dish for $34.99 a month. Add-on packages are available--Locals Pack, Regional Action Pack, National Action Pack, Kids Pack, and News Pack are $10 each. Heartland and Variety Pack are $6 each, Outdoor Pack is $4. You have to call customer service to the Loyalty department (866-974-0769) to request this package. They aren't posting it anywhere yet and no lineup is available online.

Note: No Fox Sports RSN is available at this time. Multisport w/Redzone still requires Top 120 Plus or higher to add, hopefully this changes in the future.

Here is the lineup based on what I am receiving (excluding Freeview channels):

Flex Pack Channels ($34.99)
(in order from the channel guide)

USA
TV Land
Comedy Central
Lifetime
Food Network
DIY
HGTV
Cooking Channel
E!
Pop
History
SyFy
FXX
We
HDMovies
AMC
TCM
IFC
FX
QVC
TBS
TNT
MTV2
VH1
GAC
CMT
Cartoon/Adult Swim
Discovery Channel
TLC
Hallmark Channel
National Geographic Channel
Travel Channel
Pivot
CNN
HLN
HSN
HSN2
Evine
Spike
TruTV
QVC Plus
INSP
Reelz
FeTV/Cozi TV (not sure if this is with locals or included in the main Flex Pack)

I was comparing my list to yours and I have A&E, but don't see that in your list.

Also, interesting, I am not much into sports but I have several sports channels not included in your list that I have always had but was never sure if they were part of my Core pack or not. I don't pay for any extra sports packs so I don't know what that's about.

The card doesn't matter. When they offered to swap the card and then give the package proves that. In this case, the card is just a technicality.

I may be wrong, but I doubt this will ever become a "regular" package.
Maybe, maybe not. Doesn't the offering look an awful lot like the Sling packages ? In fact, Bobby insisted that that's what they were when the OP first posted about it. When I spoke to the rep, I said to him "this is the closest we'll get to a la carte, huh?" and he laughed and said "we're working on that too".

Don't mean to thread hijack here, was going to start a new topic, but figured others considering the Flex pack may end up with the same question now that you can opt out of the locals with this pack.
I was thinking If I get an OTA module for my 722k I could ditch the $10/mo charge for locals. Can someone with the module tell me if you can DVR the channels you receive via OTA module? Will you still get guide info for OTA if locals are not part of your core pack? Can you access the OTA channels from both TV1 and TV2?

Reactions: richeydog
You can definitely record the OTA channels. Whether the guide data is present or not, no one can say for certain unless they don't have the locals add-on.

Don't mean to thread hijack here, was going to start a new topic, but figured others considering the Flex pack may end up with the same question now that you can opt out of the locals with this pack.
I was thinking If I get an OTA module for my 722k I could ditch the $10/mo charge for locals. Can someone with the module tell me if you can DVR the channels you receive via OTA module? Will you still get guide info for OTA if locals are not part of your core pack? Can you access the OTA channels from both TV1 and TV2?
I hooked up my OTA antenna to my 722k OTA module, and I can tell you that in my area (DFW), I received no guide info, just the words Digital Service in the guide. Thus, I can record but only manually (by hours). Plus, the 722k's OTA tuner doesn't get nearly as good reception as my Samsung's OTA tuner.
IMO, you'd be better off buying a separate DVR. A while back, I bought a Magnavox DVR to record OTA, but that was SD. Now they have relatively inexpensive HD DVRs like this:

Mediasonic HW-150PVR HomeWorx

$32.99 - You can find it on Amazon
Pro: Low price, Limited EPG (One channel at a time)
Con: 1 Tuner so only record or play one show at a time, must provide own hard drive

I was comparing my list to yours and I have A&E, but don't see that in your list.

Also, interesting, I am not much into sports but I have several sports channels not included in your list that I have always had but was never sure if they were part of my Core pack or not. I don't pay for any extra sports packs so I don't know what that's about.

Yes I have A&E too, sorry I missed that one. I don't know about the sports packages. I only watch sports if its on the local stations.

For people willing to spread their channel line ups across two services here is something to look at and still comes in cheaper than America's Top 200 on DISH ($66.98 total)
psvuedishflexcomparasion.PNG psvuedishflexcomparasion2.PNG

Price for Vue is decent, but access to Vue content is limited, and not available on Roku... yet.
Vue is on the Roku as of the last week of June.

I'm kind of tempted. I like the idea of Flex. Most of the channels I watch are included in the core package. A couple of channels are missing and not in any of the addons but then again I could always just wait until the couple of shows I do watch on those channels hits netflix. Options ... I like Options....

Last edited:
Reactions: Link
This is HD right?

$34.99 is a bargain! You can't have a cheap price and everything. Can you find this type of package with access to a lifetime DVR for anything remotely close?

Too expensive based on what though? Sounds like you are picking numbers out of the air. I would need a good comparison, are those channels a good number some of the most watched non sports available in a package for less? (I do notice no History Channel oversight by the poster maybe?) Does Sling include all those channels at the base price? What is the Sling price if I add the missing channels? (If you can) How does this package compare to the Smart Package that costs $26.99 if it had no Locals? How does it compare to the Top 120 (not +) ...

Well I already did mention what I was comparing this service to. But I guess you need an example.

In my zipcode, I can get the middle tier PS Vue service with the Big 4 networks (Fox, NBC, CBS and ABC on-demand), local RSN and cloud dvr service for $34.99. This plan with locals and dvr is at least $54.99 with no local RSN's. Even if you're in an area that charges $10 for locals, you still only pay $44.99 which includes cloud dvr.

For people willing to spread their channel line ups across two services here is something to look at and still comes in cheaper than America's Top 200 on DISH ($66.98 total)
View attachment 118382 View attachment 118383

Vue is on the Roku as of the last week of June.

I'm kind of tempted. I like the idea of Flex. Most of the channels I watch are included in the core package. A couple of channels are missing and not in any of the addons but then again I could always just wait until the couple of shows I do watch on those channels hits netflix. Options ... I like Options....
Vue on Roku is horrible. No guide, and many of the channels don't have rewind. Plus, there are errors playing back "recorded" programs. I have heard that Vue on Fire TV is not like that at all.

I'm not sure it is totally fair to compare online package prices to traditionally delivered services though all things considered it compares not all that badly. It's certainly fair to compare to online if you are thinking of cutting the cord and that is what you are deciding, and that is why DISH is delving into alternative packages to compete with cord cutting. In that comparison PSVue does look good but not tremendously better.
But for the many and still by far most who are not excited about only having online TV and are not really considering it or only doing so as a last resort, then you have to look at the new DISH packages as compared to their other packages and what their non online competition offers. A big reason it's not fair to compare to online is the cost of doing business, service calls, installation,equipment and on and on. Also the consumer has to provide the delivery of the service with a sufficient internet speed.
For me In Ct I would have to pay $20 more a month to get the next higher internet speed to reliably be able to stream in 1080 HD. As is when we are able to it does slow down some computers surfing etc. In Florida we can stream reliably and computers still have sufficient speed, but we are indeed paying for a faster service because there it was $10 a month more. At the least that extra cost for more speed has to be factored into online streaming.

For about $42 a month (If you can't get OTA then $52) someone can get the new DISH core package with really most of the main cable channels, a DVR with three tuners, two Satellite and one OTA ($35 a month for a one tuner DVR) and a reliable delivery system including easy to still get service in power outages if those are frequent where you live. And you still have the option of additionally watching the channels from your DISH account online and from mobile devices etc. That is considerably less than previously possible from a traditional service.

Reactions: ohioankev
Vue on Roku is horrible. No guide, and many of the channels don't have rewind. Plus, there are errors playing back "recorded" programs. I have heard that Vue on Fire TV is not like that at all.

I didn't say it was a good experience I just said that Vue was on Roku. There is a "schedule" when you select the channel that you want to watch but it's very lackluster.

I'm not sure it is totally fair to compare online package prices to traditionally delivered services though all things considered it compares not all that badly. It's certainly fair to compare to online if you are thinking of cutting the cord and that is what you are deciding, and that is why DISH is delving into alternative packages to compete with cord cutting. In that comparison PSVue does look good but not tremendously better.
But for the many and still by far most who are not excited about only having online TV and are not really considering it or only doing so as a last resort, then you have to look at the new DISH packages as compared to their other packages and what their non online competition offers. A big reason it's not fair to compare to online is the cost of doing business, service calls, installation,equipment and on and on. Also the consumer has to provide the delivery of the service with a sufficient internet speed.
For me In Ct I would have to pay $20 more a month to get the next higher internet speed to reliably be able to stream in 1080 HD. As is when we are able to it does slow down some computers surfing etc. In Florida we can stream reliably and computers still have sufficient speed, but we are indeed paying for a faster service because there it was $10 a month more. At the least that extra cost for more speed has to be factored into online streaming.

For about $42 a month (If you can't get OTA then $52) someone can get the new DISH core package with really most of the main cable channels, a DVR with three tuners, two Satellite and one OTA ($35 a month for a one tuner DVR) and a reliable delivery system including easy to still get service in power outages if those are frequent where you live. And you still have the option of additionally watching the channels from your DISH account online and from mobile devices etc. That is considerably less than previously possible from a traditional service.

I was only really doing the comparison for myself and found that almost all the channels that were offered in the add-on packs were mostly available via psvues core package with some added channels that aren't a part of Flex. I'm currently at America's top 200 and noticed that both the core options for Vue and flex is almost $15.00/month cheaper than America's Top 200. I am absolutely aware that it might not work for most but I just thought I would share my comparisons and findings.

Reactions: Tampa8
One thing I liked about PS Vue and Sling is that if the channel offers an HD feed, they have it. For example TV Land is HD and so is Pop (Vue only).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)