New AMC-14 and E-3 Info

The license is for 61.5 degrees west on the equator. 110/119 are their slots that will cover the entire US. But, too many old receivers point to 110/119 for them to do anything dramatic like change them to MPEG-4. So, the experiment (I mean strategy) is going to be on 61.5.

Dish has DBS satellites at 61.5, 110, 119, 129 and 148

The have licenses for 86.5 and 77 provided they do not interfere with Canada. They have a satellite at 77 pointed at Mexico.

Dish's problem throughout the the years is that they have not had a single plan to provide service. They are constantly changing their minds and what happens on satellites. Who knows if the 61.5 project will work out completely or if they will change it mid stream or end up abandoning it. With Dish you never know.

Ideally they would have spot beam satellites at 77 and 86.5 to provide HD locals without interfering with Canada DBS providers, and use 61.5 for all the national channels. This would give them most of the lower 48. But, they bought the spot beam satellite at 61.5, so they are putting spots there.

They could change 110/119 over to MPEG-4 but then they would have to spend billions to update all the receivers.

DIRECTV built new satellites for new slots. Those wanting to see the new satellites have to upgrade the receivers. The existing receivers continue to sell the old slots. DIRECTV appears much more organized with a single dish solution able to see all their satellites.

Nice analysis!

I see! Question though? Why can't they move it more west on the equator? Then it could serve the entire lower 48 ? Right?

Two problems with moving satellites from 61.5 W. First, the E-12 satellite with the spotbeams was designed for 61.5 W and the spotbeams would be screwed up. Second and larger issue is FCC licensing. Now Dish could use the 77 W DBS slot but there are some restrictions because it is a Mexican slot and it is between Canadian DBS slots at 72.5 W and 82 W.

For those who think the 61.5 W slot is useable for the entire lower 48 states have not investigated the "look angles" for the west coast. As someone pointed out the "look angle" in San Francisco is 14 degrees and it is about 11 in Seattle. By comparison, the "look angle" in Boston for 129 W is about 14 - 15 degrees. Anything under 25 degrees makes it really difficult to have a high percentage of people in an area be able to receive signals because of trees, hills, mountains and other houses/buildings.

Two problems with moving satellites from 61.5 W. First, the E-12 satellite with the spotbeams was designed for 61.5 W and the spotbeams would be screwed up. Second and larger issue is FCC licensing. Now Dish could use the 77 W DBS slot but there are some restrictions because it is a Mexican slot and it is between Canadian DBS slots at 72.5 W and 82 W.

For those who think the 61.5 W slot is useable for the entire lower 48 states have not investigated the "look angles" for the west coast. As someone pointed out the "look angle" in San Francisco is 14 degrees and it is about 11 in Seattle. By comparison, the "look angle" in Boston for 129 W is about 14 - 15 degrees. Anything under 25 degrees makes it really difficult to have a high percentage of people in an area be able to receive signals because of trees, hills, mountains and other houses/buildings.
How did VOOM use this Satellite to serve the lower 48. Did they have more then one satellite?,Or if you lived on the west coast you were sh*t out of luck? This was Voom's satellite location ,Right?

The elevation on the west coast for 61.5 is very low, however it can be installed. Same goes for 148 on the west coast. The plan for Voom was to eventually get a satellite active on the west coast at either the 157 or the 166 slot to fix that elevation issue, but it never got that far.

Regardless, if you were on the west coast, you could get Voom, just required a good install.

So do E3 and E12(Rainbow1) have the same elevation? What elevation will AMC-14 have?

When AMC 14 is moved to 61.5, it will have the exact same, or very close to the same of what E3 has now and you shouldn't notice ANY difference UNLESS you have crappy signals right now on 61.5 and need to get peaked, but even then you should probably be fine.

How did VOOM use this Satellite to serve the lower 48. Did they have more then one satellite?,Or if you lived on the west coast you were sh*t out of luck? This was Voom's satellite location ,Right?

Yes it was. And many people out here were out of luck. I was able to get 61.5 for a while but it was purely luck in living on a hill with no obstructions to the east. I'd still loose signal occasionally when there was bad weather over the Cascades (mountain range that splits Washington state). When 129 was mirrored I re-pointed. In the time since then I lost line of site to 61.5 when evergreens grew in the distance east of me. At 11 degrees it doesn't take much.

Yes it was. And many people out here were out of luck. I was able to get 61.5 for a while but it was purely luck in living on a hill with no obstructions to the east. I'd still loose signal occasionally when there was bad weather over the Cascades (mountain range that splits Washington state). When 129 was mirrored I re-pointed. In the time since then I lost line of site to 61.5 when evergreens grew in the distance east of me. At 11 degrees it doesn't take much.
I guess thats why they went belly up!

I guess thats why they went belly up!

That might have played into it. But currently if you live here and ask Dish to re-point you from 129 to 61.5 they refuse because they know how problematic it is. You can always try it yourself or take your chances and pay a local sat contractor. Don't get me wrong, I think they are doing the right thing. It's just unfortunate for the west coast that it's going to take them longer to get things right out here compared to the rest of the country. It's just the way things are.

I asked Dish to switch me from 129 to 61.5 and they didn't have a problem with it. They sent out an installer within a few days to do the switch at no charge. Of course I'm near the middle of the country...

Mario

Clarke Belt is 22,236 miles from Earth's surface. The diameter of the Earth at the Equator is 7,926 miles. So the diameter (d) of the Clarke Belt is 52,398 miles ((22,236 * 2) + 7,926). pi *d = 164613.172

164613.172/3600 = 45.726

So there's 45.726 miles in a tenth of a degree in the Clarke Belt.

With 0.15 degrees spacing, the actual distance would be ~ 68.59 miles.

I hate when I do that...

Just makes it even easier not to hit something at those distances.

If we figure 200 ft (1/25th of a mile give or take) then we have approximately 1125 satellites in that space. (Fixed on edit 'cause my brain i s toast :) )

Nope, not likely they'll hit :D Decidedly not a zero possibility; but clearly it ain't as easy as some would make it seem.

I asked Dish to switch me from 129 to 61.5 and they didn't have a problem with it. They sent out an installer within a few days to do the switch at no charge. Of course I'm near the middle of the country...

Mario

I'd say Indiana was a lot closer to the East coast than Seattle. :)

I'm glad Dish is doing what they are doing. It needs to be done. But I do dispute that most people in my area have 61.5 as an option. That's no big secret to people who live out here.

One thing is for certain with all this movement and planning going on, Dish is playing catch up to a more well organized DirectTV.

I think the reason the new HD channels were officially announced as SOON is because Dish is trying to keep their top tier customers from jumping ship.

Dish knows their most Savvy and generally most paying customers frequent this forum and watch Charlie in all his glory on the Charlie Chat.

Hopefully Soon translates into about as soon as DirectTV's launch last year. I think it only took them about 30-60 days to light up all those channels once the bird was in the sky.

:hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:

So this new Satellite is going to the 61.5 location right? So does that mean I can just Use my Dish 500 and leave it pointed at the current 61.5 location and get rid of my 110 and 119. If I do this how can I run my 622 and 211 of of a single lnb dish?

We are all wondering about that one. IN time we will find out more. Some are saying a sat splitter will take the place of the seperator and accomplish the same thing for a dual tuner. We won't know till closer to the time.

Please don't mix encryption and compression algos. When MPEG-4/AVC/H.264 compression of HD video is common for both providers. encryption is the key.
Nagravision against in-house DTV/NDS.

Still, that just represents a software change, right? They didn't implement anything in hardware with a custom ASIC did they?

Ted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts