NEW and considering FTA- is there a difference in LNB's

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

RC7RMG

Original poster
Feb 16, 2009
Seattle
I am really new and want to know if a Direct LNB is the same as a Dish LNB? it seem like they should be the same but what do i know...

I have a Direct HD system currently and it would be great if i could use it again...

Any thoughts or reccomendations would be great.

Thanks any reccomendations

Do you have any LNB reccomendations, or should i get i package off ebay.

My ideal FTA setup would cover 3 TV's and 1 HD big screen, could i use my old hughes net dish? how about the old Hughes LNB. I keep looking and reading and want to make sure i get the right thing the first time. :hungry:2

You can use your hughesnet or direcway dish, they use a linear lnbf. Some of us converted old direcway dishes and use them for fta. They're not the biggest dish but do a pretty good job on most channels. Without a lot of work you'd be limited to one satellite, those dishes are on the heavy side to fit a motor on. Sponsors at top of the page here have lnbfs , dishes or whole systems if you decide to go that route.

Here is a list of channels you can get. You will need a linear LNB instead of a circular. You will need at least a 30" dish. Sadoun also has packages including reciever, dish, LNB, and motor if you need one.

Since you are on the West coast shipping would be cheaper from SatelliteAV, also one of oour GOLD SPONSORS!

I think there might have been confussion on the type of dish you have. Do you have the Directway internet dish or the DTV dish. There are true FTA dishes available from time to time on Seattle's Craigslist. I have picked up several from there - mostly free.
POP

Hughes dish..}

I have 2 dishes 1 being the big Hughesnet the other being a kinda square/circle DirectTV with 3 LNB one of the LNb is for HD. the Hughes Net took a 2 story dive off my roof when qwest came to the neighborhood a few months back with high speed, the LNB cover is cracked interesting looking inside. I never thought i might use it again.

The Hughes dish has a bend in it, if i get it back to ok could this work for a single sat?

:confused:

I have 2 dishes 1 being the big Hughesnet the other being a kinda square/circle DirectTV with 3 LNB one of the LNb is for HD. the Hughes Net took a 2 story dive off my roof when qwest came to the neighborhood a few months back with high speed, the LNB cover is cracked interesting looking inside. I never thought i might use it again.

The Hughes dish has a bend in it, if i get it back to ok could this work for a single sat?

:confused:

There are TWO channels you can pick up with the circular LNBFs on the slimline
(which is I assume what you have), they are actually dishnetwork channels, one is
angelone which is some kind of religious station, the other is the nasa channel
which is a mostly raw feed straight from the control center, space station, etc....
You can modify the slimline to use a linear LNBF to pick up a few of the stronger
stations as it is a bit small, I believe if you search this site you will find a few
references to it.

Here is the list of channels I prefer as it is fairly easy to read:
FTAList.com - The easy list of North American free-to-air TV channels

As far as recommendations for LNBFs, try this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-shack/165111-recommendations-good-lnbfs.html

The hughesnet might even work as is if it is not too damaged.
You will obviously need a receiver.
Some good receivers are the mercury II, the pansat 9200, the coolsat 5000/6000, and the visionsat iv-200.

Rather than a quad output LNBF, you can use a dual output LNBF, and a 2 x 4 (or 3 x 4, or even 2 or 3 x 8 if you need that many receivers) DirecTV-style multiswitch.

As best I can tell from searching with Google, all the hits for that board go to hacker sites and sales.
I believe the only purpose is to receive Dish Network Hi Def.

Rather than a quad output LNBF, you can use a dual output LNBF, and a 2 x 4 (or 3 x 4, or even 2 or 3 x 8 if you need that many receivers) DirecTV-style multiswitch.

Tron,

If I only have 4 receivers to connect and have a choice between going with a Quad output LNBF or a Dual output LNBF with a switch combo, I would select the Quad LNBF.

Using the quad will give each receiver direct connection to the LNBF, which means less signal loss from switches.

Using the switch will save you on coaxial cable (going from switch to LNBF).

BTW, you can also use a switch with a quad LNBF if you want to hookup more than 4 receivers.

ALL you guy are great!!! Another question if I went with a Quad LNBF and 1 Receiver to start is that enough power to charge the LNBF's??? The reason is abvious that the receivers are spendy and i would want to start with the HD big screen first

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts