New app this morning (locast beta)

Do you mean that the end of the contract date had little to do with it? Keep in mind that Locast is an app that has been available via the internet for a while. It has been available on Roku and AppleTV for that same while. I seriously doubt that Hopper availability has anything to do with the Tegna negotiations.
Well, the last time there was a threat of a take-down (back when Tegna was still called Gannett) it was reported that one of the hold-ups with the contract was that they were objecting to AutoHop. So, who knows what they were asking for this time around.

Expect station ownership groups to fight this viciously.
Why? If LOCAST truly limits it to the authorized DMA it should not negatively impact any station revenue, in fact it would enhance it by reaching those parts to the DMA that currently get a weak signal.

Yes, I know the same argument can be applied to Dish and DirecTV retrans but at some point the station owners need to accept reality.

Reactions: pattykay
Because they'll (potentially) no longer be receiving revenue from Dish
Well, let's look at it this way: they would only be receiving re-trans revenue from those subscribers who are actually willing to pay for the local channels, in order to get access to the advanced Hopper features of PTAT and AutoHop. Those who choose to use the Locast app would have no way to skip commercials, so the broadcaster wins either way. And of course, let's not forget all of the subscribers who are still using ViP equipment, and thus would have no access to any of those features listed above. (Yes, they could still use a separate device for Locast, but that would not be as convenient.)

So no recording the locals and no Locast unless you also have good internet. That's far from a locals replacement in my book.
Not for everybody, but it is a good supplement. I am sure that there are plenty of places like where I live, that have good internet access but no reliable OTA reception for the major local channels. So this would be an option for them. It would also help out during re-transmission consent disputes. Those who want the luxury of recording the locals could still try to use an OTA antenna, but Locast could be an option to fill the gap in the meantime.

Then, two things have to happen. First, Locast needs to quickly roll out this service to as many markets as possible. Then, we all need to let Congress know how important this service is to us, so that they will grandfather all existing Locast customers, just like they did with the distant networks during that big fight back in 1999.

Yes, that is correct.
And I always thought Aereo was very unwise to slow their roll-out waiting for the SCOTUS decision. If Aereo had plowed on through with its roll out to as many DMA's as possible, there was a chance that Aereo would have had sufficient critical mass to get Congress involved. But, considering the STUPID (reasoning) decision by SCOTUS ruling (they had to go out of their way to make it clear that this ruling should NOT be applied to all the other "cloud DVR" "cable co server DVR" and all such other services because the logic for the ruling was so in-congruent with all previous, multiple rulings by several courts--and Aereo had been found to be legal, if not intended to be so by Congress--and pass the TEST). Had the SCOTUS ruled in a manner consistent with previous rulings, including those of previous SCOTUS rulings, Aereo would and should have been left to Congress to settle. That would have been when the critical mass of Aereo users might have made the difference to the elected legislatures.

FWIW, I really do believe there should be some method of those who can not get OTA signals in their DMA's to have them delivered FREE of charge. This would allow equal access to those who can use an OTA antenna and those who cannot.

It would not surprise me to see DISH help seed this project so that it speeds up deployment. This ultimately would be a HUGE cost savings to DISH. They would be able to provide locals to people yet would no longer have to pay for them.
But Dish doesn't have the really deep pockets, and is a relatively small fish for such a campaign. While Dish did start the movement for LIL with satellite with Congress, even Charlie Ergen admits that Dish hit a roadblock until DircTV, finally, decided to work for LIL on satellite. too. Then everything seemed to move along.

Now, if AT&T and/or Comcast, Charter/Spectrum, the really BIG boys, were to decide that Locast was worth the effort, then Locast would have the very deep pocketed lobbying might of the big 3 behind them, and it might have a good chance of being a local channels solution to all MVPD's and, especially, VMPVD's, since those services already stream their content, one could imagine and easy switch to the Locast stream of OTA channels. It takes a massive army, and loads of money, to even attempt to beat the NAB in the battlefield of our US Congress.

...and they could use this to provide all of the local channels in the market (including subchannels) which would finally allow them to better compete against the cable providers.
And then Amazon can make a new Recast box that would provide us trick play and DVR for Locast streams. In fact, Recast for Locast could be far more popular because it does NOT require an OTA antenna. Maybe Amazon could get on this bandwagon or furthering Locast, too.

Reactions: pattykay
Because they'll (potentially) no longer be receiving revenue from Dish
And that is a very big part of the broadcasters income, meaning all the MVPD's paying for rights. It is one of the only ways they can GROW their income by just keep demanding more and more money to re-transmit. The broadcasters are hooked to that drug. Most likely, the only way the broadcasters can "fight" Locast, is to change the law, and NAB has the means to do it.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
i was going through the chicago list and the only ones we are missing from Locast is WYIN channel 56 (PBS) WJYS and WPVN

App is now gone from the hopper 3 DVR The app was in beta maybe dish wanted us to try it out first I hope it will be coming back in the future very great idea for those folks who cannot get their locals via over the air antenna

Last edited:
App is now gone from the hopper 3 DVR The app was in beta maybe dish wanted us to try it out first I hope it will be coming back in the future very great idea for those folks who cannot get their locals via over the air antenna

Wow, that didn't last long! Gone quicker than a Dish dispute ;)

I have it loaded on my all my TV's, an AppleTV 4k, bookmarked in browsers and installed on all the tablets and I love it. Will curious as to when DISH allows it to return.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts