New azbox software out

Power Supply

With the over clocking by acceleration, is this causing the excessive draw on the current; thus, causing the power supply to burn out?

The hardware acceleration setting determines where the video is decoded
Either on the CPU of the unit (hw accel off), taking processing time away from other functions and slowing the unit down, or on a dedicated video processing unit (normally refered to as a graphics processing unit in the rest of the computer world).

Now the GPU usually will be special enough to do the normal codecs and color schemes and help alot when you turn "hw accel on". But if you scan in some funky new thing that makes the azbox bog down it's nice to be able to let the general purpose CPU take a swing at decoding it since the code required for this funky channel has been written for the Azbox GPU

Hardware acceleration isn't a speeding up of the Azbox.
It's using video processing to a dedicated chip.

Either on the CPU of the unit (hw accel off), taking processing time away from other functions and slowing the unit down, or on a dedicated video processing unit (normally refered to as a graphics processing unit in the rest of the computer world).

Now the GPU usually will be special enough to do the normal codecs and color schemes and help alot when you turn "hw accel on". But if you scan in some funky new thing that makes the azbox bog down it's nice to be able to let the general purpose CPU take a swing at decoding it since the code required for this funky channel has been written for the Azbox GPU

If what you are saying is true, what is the downside to leaving hardware acceleration turned on?

I believe that your explanation of hardware acceleration is correct, but that's not what the AZBOX is doing. All I've ever read in the forums is that this setting increases the speed of the CPU.
I'll love to be proven wrong and that in fact it is using the GPU.

mr3p said:
If what you are saying is true, what is the downside to leaving hardware acceleration turned on?

The downside would be if you came a cross a feed that used some scheme that the developers didn't write a method to pass through the GPU.

Just as an example that's highly unlikely:
Let just say you run across a feed that is is transmitted in VC1 (the default codec for Blu-Ray/HD-DVD) instead of MPEG2 or MPEG4.
And (in this example) the Azbox has no software telling how to accelerate this through the GPU.
The system will bog down and stutter as the feed is fed to the GPU only to be rejected and sent back to the CPU for processing. If you were to turn off hardware accelleration you could get a watchable show.

Otherwise I personally would leave the he accel on almost all the time.

comfrey said:
I believe that your explanation of hardware acceleration is correct, but that's not what the AZBOX is doing. All I've ever read in the forums is that this setting increases the speed of the CPU.
I'll love to be proven wrong and that in fact it is using the GPU.

The GPU may just be one of the popular DSP chips that can do MPEG2 and MPEG4 decoding

Please give links to those statements saying that it overclocks the system.

I know the name (hardware accelleration) is decieving, but in Linux meda centers that is what hardware acceleration is. Offloading processing from the weak CPU to a specialized processor.

The GPU may just be one of the popular DSP chips that can do MPEG2 and MPEG4 decoding

Please give links to those statements saying that it overclocks the system.

I know the name (hardware accelleration) is decieving, but in Linux meda centers that is what hardware acceleration is. Offloading processing from the weak CPU to a specialized processor.

This is one of the places that mention overclocking. New 0.9.4690 patch - Satpimps

I've also read it on the azbox forum site.

New release:

azbox-0.9.4923-patch.bin | added new movie subtitle menu option | fixed seek in wma | fixed detection of avi duration time | corrected sub file format

new software out dated the 18th

fixed the antenna settings when using diseqc 1.2 | fixed the teletext synchronization (rec) | fixed the reservation process

new software out dated the 18th

fixed the antenna settings when using diseqc 1.2 | fixed the teletext synchronization (rec) | fixed the reservation process
One thing I don't understand is this; they fixed one problem and in the process they break another thing. I hope they get to fix the issue of not being able to record high bit HD signals. The update before this disabled streaming, and created lots of problems (the box was slow to respond) with the receiver if you added the IPTV "txt" file. I had to go back to 4829.

whatever the case, the people at azbox are doing what others should emulate. They are constantly providing updates.
Thumbs up! AZBOX.

There is a saying that once you go AZBOX, there is no turning back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)