New build

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
The bug bit and I bought. Have a perfectly good Ryzen five with 16 Gigs of memory and a M2 drive and lots of SSD's. Two years old and wanted better, so built a Ryzen 9x, with 64 gigs of memory and two PCI-e4.0 M2's and a rtx 2070 in it. Great 4K video, but what would you guys use it for?

Reactions: TheKrell
Folding at Home?
The system RAM and hard drive capacity is over-speced for F@H, though. Plus, it should be running some lightweight version of Linux, not Windows, to prevent issues with monthly security updates.

I’m sure TheForce could use this for 4K+ 3D video editing and rendering.

That would be a great editing machine!

The bug bit and I bought. Have a perfectly good Ryzen five with 16 Gigs of memory and a M2 drive and lots of SSD's. Two years old and wanted better, so built a Ryzen 9x, with 64 gigs of memory and two PCI-e4.0 M2's and a rtx 2070 in it. Great 4K video, but what would you guys use it for?

I'd trade it for four systems like you already had and sell three of them.

Reactions: Comptech
The system RAM and hard drive capacity is over-speced for F@H, though. Plus, it should be running some lightweight version of Linux, not Windows, to prevent issues with monthly security updates.

I’m sure TheForce could use this for 4K+ 3D video editing and rendering.
I am running windows on it because I run satellite Cards and multiple sat programs on it. I do use linux with updatelee on a older machine, but find the windows programs faster and easier to use. Also running SDR radio on it. Guess this 60 year old may have to take up gaming and teach these young people a lesson with this machine and my 400Mb internet connection!:nana

GPU bitcoin mining isn’t worth the electricity if you don’t get it for free. Even ASIC mining rigs are barely worth it unless your electrons come for free from the Sun, Wind, or Water.

GPUs made sense 5 years ago, but unlikely to find enough unclaimed hashes to pay your electric bill today.

Reactions: TheKrell
Still using the old system while I tweak the new one. First priority, slow the mouse down, second one, do not installa huge driver package like Nvida graphics when you have to pee, think you have time to take a leak? hell no, you click install and it is asking for your input before you get out of the chair. I have no need for something this fast, but been in the business for 20 years and wanted something new. have this one sold for 600 bucks, so the new one cost me 800 bucks.

• Haha
Reactions: TheKrell and Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)