New C-band satellites coming

But they won't be using the western orbital slots like 131 or 135w, right? I assumed they would fill in the closest spots east and west of 101w to avoid as much 5G terrestrial interference as possible.

It's all in the detailed transition plans on file with the FCC. The new C-band satellites are headed to...
  • 89 °W
  • 91 °W
  • 95 °W
  • 103 °W
  • 103 °W (as a full-time spare)
  • 113 °W
  • 121 °W
  • 127 °W
  • 129 °W
  • 131 °W
  • 133 °W
  • 135 °W
Additionally, Galaxy 30, ordered back in 2018, is headed for 125 °W after launch later this year.

Links to the transition plans and supplemental data, including timetables of signal relocations
Claro
Eutelsat
Intelsat
SES
Telesat

The operators are actually ordered many new satellites to allow them to vacate the pending auctioned spectrum in advance of the shutdown deadline. This advance shutdown will provide an additional payout of several billion dollars more into their corporations.

These new satellites will provide additional transponders (divisions) within the 200mhz band (3900-4200) providing more options for using this spectrum.

Big money is exchanging hands and many new satellites will be launching in the next few years.

Which satellites that most of us use now for TV will be affected by the 5G takeover. All, a few or most?

But they won't be using the western orbital slots like 131 or 135w, right? I assumed they would fill in the closest spots east and west of 101w to avoid as much 5G terrestrial interference as possible.

Huh 103w means 103w they are replacing the old birds, C band will only have 200mhz or the 500mhz on the bird.

It's all in the detailed transition plans on file with the FCC. The new C-band satellites are headed to...
  • 89 °W
  • 91 °W
  • 95 °W
  • 103 °W
  • 103 °W (as a full-time spare)
  • 113 °W
  • 121 °W
  • 127 °W
  • 129 °W
  • 131 °W
  • 133 °W
  • 135 °W
Additionally, Galaxy 30, ordered back in 2018, is headed for 125 °W after launch later this year.

Links to the transition plans and supplemental data, including timetables of signal relocations
Claro
Eutelsat
Intelsat
SES
Telesat

• 103 °W (as a full-time spare) you not going to spend 30 million dollars for a spare. they are replacing these birds period..

Which satellites that most of us use now for TV will be affected by the 5G takeover. All, a few or most?

Signals intended for the Lower 48 United States will only be permitted to use 4000-4200 MHz. Signals not intended for the Lower 48 can still use 3700-4000 MHz, assuming the regions and countries those signals are targeted toward don't go through with C-band reallocations of their own.

You will not be able to pick up signals in the 3700-4000 MHz range if or when cell phone companies in your local area start transmitting on those frequencies. To continue receiving C-band signals in the 4000-4200 MHz range, you will likely also need a new LNB that filters out interference from the new cell phone signals below 4000 MHz.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
  • 103 °W (as a full-time spare) you not going to spend 30 million dollars for a spare. they are replacing these birds period..

From SES's C-band Transition Implementation Plan

sesnewsats.png

That is what I thought go back and read it again.. that does not mean that are going to have 2 BIRDS in the same orbit at the same time.

That is what I thought go back and read it again.. that does not mean that are going to have 2 BIRDS in the same orbit at the same time.
"To be collocated at 103 W.L." To me that means they are in the same orbital slot at the same time. That's very common practice, for example many aging satellites are kept as spares for emergencies. Or simply they share the work, like the Hispasats at 30W

Reactions: FTA4PA
"To be collocated at 103 W.L." To me that means they are in the same orbital slot at the same time. That's very common practice, for example many aging satellites are kept as spares for emergencies. Or simply they share the work, like the Hispasats at 30W

NBC and Mood Media rely on 103 for thousands of endpoints. I wonder if that's a driving force behind the redundancy?

Actually, that is exactly what it means - two satellites at the same orbital location.

Totally agree with you Brct203, the portion of the document in post 26 says that they will have two satellites co-located (definition: sharing a facility or location with someone or something else) at 103W and that the second satellite will be a dedicated, in-orbit spare.

The document can be viewed in it's entirety here: https://ecfsapi.fcc.gov/file/10619155373886/SES Americom, Inc. Accelerated C-Band Transition Implementation Plan.pdf

It clearly states the reasoning for having two satellites at the 103W orbital slot at the end of page 5 through the beginning of page 6. :)

Reactions: Brct203
Let me ask you this how long have you been dealing with C Band? Well I been since 91, so in your total time you been dealing with C Band, have you ever seen a replacement or migration of C Band satellite where they have two birds in the same orbit? Google this AMC 1 and SES 3 they were in the same orbit only until SES 3 when Into full operation. If that is the case well we could give 5g one total satellite and C band could take other the satellite.

Let me ask you this how long have you been dealing with C Band? Well I been since 91, so in your total time you been dealing with C Band, have you ever seen a replacement or migration of C Band satellite where they have two birds in the same orbit? Google this AMC 1 and SES 3 they were in the same orbit only until SES 3 when Into full operation. If that is the case well we could give 5g one total satellite and C band could take other the satellite.
I'm glad you lived through the heyday of c band but what happened in the past is irrelevant. We are living now and some major changes are coming. Read the linked FCC document. ;)

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Who is footing the bills for this new Satellites do you know? That would be Uncle Charlie,Uncle Charlie is not going to foot some 30 million to have a bird on standby it will never happen. Next question why would ONLY 103w bird be the only bird that will have a standby? What's so special about 103w?

Who is footing the bills for this new Satellites do you know? That would be Uncle Charlie,Uncle Charlie is not going to foot some 30 million to have a bird on standby it will never happen. Next question why would ONLY 103w bird be the only bird that will have a standby? What's so special about 103w?
SES is footing the bill because of contractual obligations. They must have a means of maintaining service to their clients in the event of a failure because they will have reduced bandwidth overall. An explanation is in the document that you apparently refuse to read but you are free to believe what you want to believe. ;)

There is no such thing as SES that the name of the satellite the FCC, is footing the bill AKA Uncle Charlie..

Ok you need to start reading up on what's happening https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/FCC-20-22A1.pdf
Perhaps you need to read the document you linked to. Section 11 on page 6 specifically mentions SES as a company so they are a company and you just proved it. There are, in fact, 83 references to SES in that document and note 102 on page 17 even mentions SES's in-orbit spare referenced in post 26 and 32 above. All the info is there. As they say, we can explain it to you but we can't understand it for you. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)