New Carbon Interface on Hopper with Sling - positives and negatives

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I upgraded my 2 hopper with sling and joey 2 receivers to the new interface.

First a list of positives
1) I set up folders for "Fireworks" , "Parades", "Olympics", etc. I then moved several years of recorded programs into the correct folder. This worked extremely well and cleaned up my cluttered DVR lists.

2) I love the fact that the search includes Netflix.
I did a search for BFG. It came up with 3 choices: Rent, See Trailer, and Watch on Netflix. I selected Watch on Netflix and the movie worked

3) My family room hopper lists 4 sources: Hopper with Sling Family Room, External Hard Drive 1, External Hard Drive 2, and Hopper with Sling Living Room. Selecting any of these sources brings up the correct recordings within 3-5 seconds.

My living room hopper lists 3 sources: Hopper with Sling Living Room, External Hard Drive 1, and Hopper with Sling family room. Again the response time is 3-5 seconds.

List of Negatives

1) When you select a recording from any of the external hard drives to play the first time you get a blank screen and the hopper appears to be locked up. You can recover by selecting guide and selecting a live channel. When you try it a second time the recorded program plays correctly. People have theorized that the drive needs to wake up from sleeping. I don't agree because you get thumbnails and a complete program description of the recorded programs on the drive and the message is resume program when you recover from the blank screen.

2). The new interface gets confused if you do actions too quickly. For example, if I use the OTA menu and scroll thru my 47 channels to view the signal strengths, the OTA will stop working. The only fix for this is to power off and on the receiver. However, if you are patient and wait 10 sec at each channel, it works fine. The Hopper 3 with its faster processor may not have this problem.

3) Dish Anywhere stopped working with my hoppers using the new interface. Dish Anywhere would not stay on the page long enough to allow me to enter the Pairing code. I fixed this by deleting Dish Anywhere on my IPhone and reinstalling it.

Future Requests

It would be greatly appreciated if we could access the programs on our external hard drives using Dish Anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

Last edited:
I like the new ui and the new remote. Just wish the was a direct button to settings.

My other wishes would be allowing folders to be maintained on ehd. Password protection on individual folders at least on hopper. And Anywhere access to ehd.

6P AquariOS

Reactions: dweber
Try hitting the "Home" button twice, and see if that is what you are shooting for!

Also...Hitting the Home button three times takes you to the Sys Info screen.
Thanks, but be nice to go directly to settings, but 2 home clicks and 4 more clicks gets you there. Was one click.

6P AquariOS

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks, but be nice to go directly to settings, but 2 home clicks and 4 more clicks gets you there. Was one click.

6P AquariOS
Use the Yellow button, and you're there!

OOPS, thinking of the 40.0/Harmony remote. My 52.0 remote is in some drawer.

Reactions: TG2 and bspei
I upgraded my 2 hopper with sling and joey 2 receivers to the new interface.

First a list of positives
1) I set up folders for "Fireworks" , "Parades", "Olympics", etc. I then moved several years of recorded programs into the correct folder. This worked extremely well and cleaned up my cluttered DVR lists.

2) I love the fact that the search includes Netflix.
I did a search for BFG. It came up with 3 choices: Rent, See Trailer, and Watch on Netflix. I selected Watch on Netflix and the movie worked

3) My family room hopper lists 4 sources: Hopper with Sling Family Room, External Hard Drive 1, External Hard Drive 2, and Hopper with Sling Living Room. Selecting any of these sources brings up the correct recordings within 3-5 seconds.

My living room hopper lists 3 sources: Hopper with Sling Living Room, External Hard Drive 1, and Hopper with Sling family room. Again the response time is 3-5 seconds.

List of Negatives

1) When you select a recording from any of the external hard drives to play the first time you get a blank screen and the hopper appears to be locked up. You can recover by selecting guide and selecting a live channel. When you try it a second time the recorded program plays correctly. People have theorized that the drive needs to wake up from sleeping. I don't agree because you get thumbnails and a complete program description of the recorded programs on the drive and the message is resume program when you recover from the blank screen.

2). The new interface gets confused if you do actions too quickly. For example, if I use the OTA menu and scroll thru my 47 channels to view the signal strengths, the OTA will stop working. The only fix for this is to power off and on the receiver. However, if you are patient and wait 10 sec at each channel, it works fine. The Hopper 3 with its faster processor may not have this problem.

3) Dish Anywhere stopped working with my hoppers using the new interface. Dish Anywhere would not stay on the page long enough to allow me to enter the Pairing code. I fixed this by deleting Dish Anywhere on my IPhone and reinstalling it.

Future Requests

It would be greatly appreciated if we could access the programs on our external hard drives using Dish Anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys mobile app

From your experience with the new UI I would say Carbon functions reasonably well on the HWS. However, I'll still wait for Dish to download it to my HWS. BTW, I thought I read somewhere that the HWS uses the same processor as the H3, it is the H1 that has the slower processor.

couple of other things that I have noticed with the new cui

after watching a dvr'd program, the option to delete does not delete. you have to go to the 1st dvr screen to delete the program
when watching a program on the 2nd hws, the 1st several minutes are just a black screen........fast forward until it finally shows the programming & rewind to the start

it is slower than previous

Reactions: navychop
Some specs:

Hopper 1 - 750mhz, 768mb RAM, CPU @ 1700 DMIPS (instructions per second)
Hopper 2 (w/Sling) - 1.3ghz, 2gb RAM, CPU @ 3000 DMIPS
Hopper 3 - 1.5ghz quad-core, ??gb RAM, CPU @ 21,000 DMIPS

I'm not sure how many CPU cores the H1 and H2 have but based on their DMIPS value, they are most likely single-core. That's why there's a 7x increase between the 2 and 3 with only a 0.2 ghz increase in clock speed.

Edit: Removed the "64" gb RAM reference for the H3

Last edited:
couple of other things that I have noticed with the new cui

after watching a dvr'd program, the option to delete does not delete. you have to go to the 1st dvr screen to delete the program
when watching a program on the 2nd hws, the 1st several minutes are just a black screen........fast forward until it finally shows the programming & rewind to the start

it is slower than previous

After watching a DVR'd program on the Hopper where it is stored the option to delete works fine. If you're watching content on 1 Hopper from another Hopper then the option doesn't work.

That's how it works on mine anyway. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: charlesrshell
Here is a list of the positive features on the HWS with the CUI.

None

Negative features.

Too many to list.
2 1/2 hour guide instead of 3 to cover PTAT.
Colors should have choices for various options. Both defaults are not easy to focus on.
Watching a movie on the EHD and having to go thru the entiries twice to watch a movie.
Old search features were much easier.
Timers not recording 100% of the time.
Timers disappearing.
New timers not showing as new in the guide and not recording.
etc: etc:

Last edited:
Some specs:

Hopper 1 - 750mhz, 768mb RAM, CPU @ 1700 DMIPS (instructions per second)
Hopper 2 (w/Sling) - 1.3ghz, 2gb RAM, CPU @ 3000 DMIPS
Hopper 3 - 1.5ghz quad-core, 64gb RAM, CPU @ 21,000 DMIPS

I'm not sure how many CPU cores the H1 and H2 have but based on their DMIPS value, they are most likely single-core. That's why there's a 7x increase between the 2 and 3 with only a 0.2 ghz increase in clock speed.

H*3 has 64 gb RAM? Are you sure?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts