New channels In June?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Where in the 700's will the Voom channels be located? Are they being added to all Cablevision systems on June 26th?

The addition of the VOOM channels is a nice step, and the CAPACITY for 500 is good, too. The only thing that would be a concern is can Cablevision get contracts for these mainstream channels. They have had many negotiating problems in the past. It will not be easy for them to reach an agreement to carry some or all of these mainstream HD channels.

Cablevision Systems said Thursday that it reached a deal with its Voom HD Networks unit to provide 15 of its HD channels to Cablevision’s iO: Interactive Optimum digital customers June 26, boosting its HD lineup to 40 channels.
Well, it's about time! Everyone...say "Hail" to the New HD Leader as of 26 June.

Voom is about to become completely irrelevant once all of the mainstream channels start to go HD in the next year.
I have been saying this the past three years. VOOM should have sold long-term subscriptions to their entire lineup for pennies per subscriber years ago and let the Cable/Satellite provider determine what the customers want and when they can bring them online. As for the HDNets, their days of demanding a premium are quickly coming to an end with all the mainstream cable favorites coming online. Heck, my family can't even make a dent on the all the HD programming being offer on Dish HD and OTA. I think there is room for VOOM and HDNets in the future, but I predict they will move toward selling "ad time" to stay competitive.

Hmmm. This is even better news for VOOM since FiOS TV will need to address the issue for their NY area subscribers in order to stay competitive.

This move does NOT make them the HD leader.

You can't make that claim when:

- No ESPN2HD
- No Food Network, History Channel, and other "major" networks
- No UFC (and other PPV events) in HD

...and the VAST majority of your channels are fluff (VOOM, inHD).

I'm still counting down the days until FiOS is in my building. ...and I had southern exposure, I would have had DirecTV a looong time ago.

What is more important? 15 "fluff" channels or 1 solid ESPN2 channel? When I have to think about the answer, it's not a good sign.

ESPN2 PLEASE!

What is more important? 15 "fluff" channels or 1 solid ESPN2 channel? When I have to think about the answer, it's not a good sign.

ESPN2 PLEASE!

I could care less if we get ESPN2, I have been waiting since VOOM stopped being a service provider for us to pick these up. I think this is a great addition. I love how everyone comments on how VOOM is fluff and nothing good is on it, but yet National Geographic and BBC and other are buying VOOM produced programming to air on the channels.

The Voom channels tend to grow on you. They are no more "niche" than Mojo or Discovery HD. Some of the programming is really interesting, ompared to Mario Batali in HD.

The capacity for 500 channels is really the big story though. Cablevision has an excellent relationship with HBO, and with HBO offering 26 HDs in the near future I would think we would see them on the service.

ESPN2 HD would be a nice add, but just like everyone other provider, they will add it when the carriage agreement is up for renewal. Sports has a large fanbase, but being able to add 15 channels at once accomplishes the goal of offering the most HD. Voom will attract more subs because it has a variety. Equator is a great "look at my new TV" channel. ESPN2 would be the 5th or 6th HD sport channel.

The Voom channels tend to grow on you. They are no more "niche" than Mojo or Discovery HD. Some of the programming is really interesting, ompared to Mario Batali in HD.

The capacity for 500 channels is really the big story though. Cablevision has an excellent relationship with HBO, and with HBO offering 26 HDs in the near future I would think we would see them on the service.

ESPN2 HD would be a nice add, but just like everyone other provider, they will add it when the carriage agreement is up for renewal. Sports has a large fanbase, but being able to add 15 channels at once accomplishes the goal of offering the most HD. Voom will attract more subs because it has a variety. Equator is a great "look at my new TV" channel. ESPN2 would be the 5th or 6th HD sport channel.

I second that, over the time I liked VooM more, specially RAVE and Equator. I watch them more then ESPN2.

To be honest, you guys are right. Over the long run, VOOM is more important than 1 crappy ESPN2 HD which doesnt always broadcast in HD. I'm just a little angry that I didn't watch the whole World Cup on HD last summer and will be angry if by next summer I can't watch Euro 2008 in complete HD.
Like MergaTroy said, wow! I completely forgot about HBO's announcement of 26 HD channels. No doubt we will be getting some if not all of those. Do you still think that Cablevision will offer HD for free after they add, say for example, 100 HD channels?

This could be good news for E* subscribers as well. Maybe this means Voom will push for more new programming and a few less repeats??

I'd like to see less repeats, too, but too many repeats isn't really a Voom exclusive...HGTV HD, Food HD, and even Disc Theater HD show a heck of a lot of repeats. All the non-simulcast HD channels really do, for that matter.

Last edited:
This move does NOT make them the HD leader.

You can't make that claim when:

- No ESPN2HD
- No Food Network, History Channel, and other "major" networks
- No UFC (and other PPV events) in HD

...and the VAST majority of your channels are fluff (VOOM, inHD).

I'm still counting down the days until FiOS is in my building. ...and I had southern exposure, I would have had DirecTV a looong time ago.

Ok, looks like every time someone posts that Voom is fluff/irrelevant/etc, I'm going to have to defend it. TBS/FX/Lifetime/etc is fluff to me, and locked out of my system.

To each, their own...

I'm looking pretty forward to the Voom HD channels coming. I am a HUGE sports fan, but i'm not that upset that ESPN2HD is not included. When you really take a look at their schedule, they just show crap. What do they show, soccer, NASCAR, and Tennis? Sorry, but i'll take the 15 HD channels which includes WorldSport HD, which broadcasts CFL Friday Night Football, over the crap they're showing over at ESPN2HD

CFL over college football? CFL? seriously? over college basketball? I cannot wait for the contract to be up so CV has to get ESPN2HD. College Football Bowl games not in HD was killing me

CFL over college football? CFL? seriously? over college basketball? I cannot wait for the contract to be up so CV has to get ESPN2HD. College Football Bowl games not in HD was killing me

Thankfully only 2 are on NFL Network HD :)

Hopefully ESPN will start doing there Game of The Weeks in HD, so even more networks can start filling there HD Schedules (FSN, MSG).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts