New Channels

MLBurks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2004
Huntingdon TN
I have DirecTV and am thinking about switching to Charter to get my local channels. I have Premier with D* and would get the similar package on Charter. How often does Charter add new channels? There are three channels that I would really miss if I switch:

Fox Reality
Sleuth
Chiller (my favorite)

There are a few others that I would miss but those three especially. Does Charter frequently add new channels or is their current lineup pretty static?

Also, is their DVR any good?

I've had good luck with the dvr. SA 8300hd is what we have in CT. They don't add channels very often. There pocture is very good here on the digital channels, analog ones not so much.

I have DirecTV and am thinking about switching to Charter to get my local channels. I have Premier with D* and would get the similar package on Charter. How often does Charter add new channels? There are three channels that I would really miss if I switch:

Fox Reality
Sleuth
Chiller (my favorite)

There are a few others that I would miss but those three especially. Does Charter frequently add new channels or is their current lineup pretty static?

Also, is their DVR any good?

you will prob never see those 3 channels on charter *D exclusives

Just our out of curiosity, there are a lot of negative posts on this site from people who don't like Charter. Is there anything positive about Charter that anyone can tell me about? Is there anything I can look forward too? Also, they tell me that I will get a Motorola DVR. Does anyone have one of these? Is it reliable?

maybe its just chiller. I have to say charter is good here if you can get a MOXI box get one. HSI is great I've had Hsi with them since 1999 and had very little problems.

But it depends on the local are some areas are good some are bad.

I'm hoping Chiller is not exclusive. It is a new channel that just launched a few months ago. I know that D* is the first and only provider to pick them up so far. If SciFi and Sleuth are not exclusives, surely Chiller will not be since they are all owned by NBC. I read on a Chiller board that original programming may be considered when the channel expands into more homes. So hopefully Charter will pick them up at some point.

Charter is coming today. I'll let you know how it goes:D

:mad::mad::mad:
Well...
Charter comes out yesterday around 12:30. Two guys in two pick-up trucks. They look around confused as to where to do their work. They didn't have my credit card on file so they could not give me my DVR. I complain and told them that I gave the info to the CSR. He calls to confirm. It gets confirmed. Then he says "You are lucky that I have one in my truck.". Wonderful. How lucky I am. He gives me a MOXI. I don't know what a MOXI is yet. I hope it's good. Anyway, he installs cables and boxes outside and then comes in to do the wiring inside. He takes out all of the cable connected to the DirecTV dish and puts in his own cable.

THREE HOURS LATER...

He can't get the DVR to work right. It will not receive any channel or guide info. He gets up on the ladder and looks at the lines and the tap on the street. He says that the signal is too weak coming into the house. He says that someone who has cable down the street might of had power increased into their house by "stealing" my power because I didn't have cable at the time. Isn't that loverly? He tells this to his boss. His boss tells him to check all of the cables he put into the house. He goes into a rage and tells me that his boss is a goody-to-shoes Christian that he can't stand dealing with. I tell him that I am a Christian and he just says "sorry". Complaining yet some more, he checks the cables and they are all good. It is now 3:30 and he is complaining that he needed to be home by 3:00 to take care of some problems at home and that he STILL has a job to go do somewhere else. He was complaining about this after 30 minutes of being here. I told him that I understand that BUT I am writing a $109 check today to get the job done. He gets frustrated and looks around like he doesn't know what to do. He says that he needs to get out of here and that there is nothing more he can do, and that he was going to have to take the MOXI box! I said what for? He said "That's policy". I raised hell. He calls his boss to explain the problem and rolls his eyes doing it. He told me that some tech guy will have to come out and increase the signal to the house before the DVR will be able to get channel info, guide info and be able to record. :mad: I said that it better be this evening or tomorrow at the latest. I said it should be by tomorrow at the latest. He confirms the problem with Charter and they say that they can't get anybody out until Tuesday. :mad: So I said, I am paying $109 so that I can't have channel info, guide info or even to record until Tuesday? I ask, "Do you at least have a channel guide?" "Nope. I usually have one in my truck but I don't today." I said to him "You come to install NEW service and don't bring a channel guide?" I asked "How about a manual for the MOXI that I can't really use until Tuesday?" "Nope. We are not allowed to give those out."
!!!!!!!
He was in such of a rush to get out of here that he did not take the time to program the remote. I asked if I can keep the book with the codes and instructions. I think you can guess what he said.

I fumed.

I called Charter and raised absolute hell. The CSR laughed at me!!!!!!!!!! He said that "you can view the channels can't you?" I said "Well yes but..". He cuts me off. "Well Tuesday is not that far away. Monday is a holiday and we can't work on Monday. I slammed the phone down in anger. Then I said to myself that I'll just hook my DirecTV DVR back up but forgot and realized that he cut and took out the D* lines. That's just great.

That is my wonderful story of my great start with Charter.

lol.
Charter is horrible and I am stuck with them for few more months, I am switching to DTV soon, didn't have a chance yet to do it.
Charter is horrible it was nearly 8 months ago when they actually added 1-2 channels, they are horrible, they are overpriced for what they offer, Satellite is way better than charter.

They didn't fix my issues, crappy SD quality, and HD (the movie channels) are un-watchable because of huge macroblocking when things move fast.
I had nearly 5+ technicians coming down and taking a look at my problems, but none could resolve it.

They are now coming out on Thursday. First they said Tuesday. But when I went to my local Charter office to complain, they said that in the computer it is listed as Thursday. But they told me that I won't be charged for any service until this gets fixed. Fine. But Charter phone service is supposed to hook up the phone on Tuesday. So I don't know if they will be able to do that with the signal problems or not. Oh well. I re-installed my DirecTV myself so I can have something until they decide to fix this.

:mad::mad::mad:
Well...
Charter comes out yesterday around 12:30. Two guys in two pick-up trucks. They look around confused as to where to do their work. They didn't have my credit card on file so they could not give me my DVR. I complain and told them that I gave the info to the CSR. He calls to confirm. It gets confirmed. Then he says "You are lucky that I have one in my truck.". Wonderful. How lucky I am. He gives me a MOXI. I don't know what a MOXI is yet. I hope it's good. Anyway, he installs cables and boxes outside and then comes in to do the wiring inside. He takes out all of the cable connected to the DirecTV dish and puts in his own cable.

THREE HOURS LATER...

He can't get the DVR to work right. It will not receive any channel or guide info. He gets up on the ladder and looks at the lines and the tap on the street. He says that the signal is too weak coming into the house. He says that someone who has cable down the street might of had power increased into their house by "stealing" my power because I didn't have cable at the time. Isn't that loverly? He tells this to his boss. His boss tells him to check all of the cables he put into the house. He goes into a rage and tells me that his boss is a goody-to-shoes Christian that he can't stand dealing with. I tell him that I am a Christian and he just says "sorry". Complaining yet some more, he checks the cables and they are all good. It is now 3:30 and he is complaining that he needed to be home by 3:00 to take care of some problems at home and that he STILL has a job to go do somewhere else. He was complaining about this after 30 minutes of being here. I told him that I understand that BUT I am writing a $109 check today to get the job done. He gets frustrated and looks around like he doesn't know what to do. He says that he needs to get out of here and that there is nothing more he can do, and that he was going to have to take the MOXI box! I said what for? He said "That's policy". I raised hell. He calls his boss to explain the problem and rolls his eyes doing it. He told me that some tech guy will have to come out and increase the signal to the house before the DVR will be able to get channel info, guide info and be able to record. :mad: I said that it better be this evening or tomorrow at the latest. I said it should be by tomorrow at the latest. He confirms the problem with Charter and they say that they can't get anybody out until Tuesday. :mad: So I said, I am paying $109 so that I can't have channel info, guide info or even to record until Tuesday? I ask, "Do you at least have a channel guide?" "Nope. I usually have one in my truck but I don't today." I said to him "You come to install NEW service and don't bring a channel guide?" I asked "How about a manual for the MOXI that I can't really use until Tuesday?" "Nope. We are not allowed to give those out."
!!!!!!!
He was in such of a rush to get out of here that he did not take the time to program the remote. I asked if I can keep the book with the codes and instructions. I think you can guess what he said.

I fumed.

I called Charter and raised absolute hell. The CSR laughed at me!!!!!!!!!! He said that "you can view the channels can't you?" I said "Well yes but..". He cuts me off. "Well Tuesday is not that far away. Monday is a holiday and we can't work on Monday. I slammed the phone down in anger. Then I said to myself that I'll just hook my DirecTV DVR back up but forgot and realized that he cut and took out the D* lines. That's just great.

That is my wonderful story of my great start with Charter.

I think I would have had a seisure after that. Or in jail for murder.

I FINALLY have Charter hooked up correctly. Though I had to through a couple of punches to get the job done. First they were scheduled to come out on Tuesday to increase the power of the signal off of the street. But the guy no-showed. That really ticked me off. After raising hell, it got scheduled for Thursday (today). But by 5:00 I called and asked where the guy was. Their response was "it got canceled because they tried to call you and no one answered". I told them that that was load of BS. I was home all day and was right by the phone. I asked to speak to a supervisor and I told him to get someone out here TODAY or I was canceling and was going to stay with D*. One hour later, someone was here and FIXED the problem. The problem turned out not to be a signal problem but a bad MOXI box. If the first idiot that installed it in the first place did his job instead of worrying about where he needs to be next, the job would have been done on the first day. I told that gut that maybe it's a bad box. But instead of taking the time to find out, he said it was a problem off the street and he left. Now that the box has been replaced, it works after a weeks worth of headaches. After toying with the MOXI, I must say that this DVR jumps hoops over the DirecTV R15. The only negative of the box would be the limited recording space. But I can work around that. So now I can breath and enjoy TV again. Sheesh.
(Go Cubs!)

Last edited:
Well you're comparing to older Directv technology. There are upgraded units since the R15. (H20 and HR20 supporting MPEG4).

I'm only comparing the MOXI to the R15 because it was the R15 that I had with D*. The R15 is not necessarily old technology. It is their current SD DVR box (though it is and was and always will be behind their HD DVR since HD is where they are focused right now). Charter does not offer (at least in my area) an SD DVR. They only give out the DVR's that handle both which I think is the right way to go.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts