New Coach Allow A Penalty FREE Transfer

Neutronite

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
I have just read an interesting article by the Sporting News CFB writer Matt Hayes. His point is to allow underclassmen freshmen and sophomores [in good academic standing] to transfer to any college without the year sit-out penalty. I agree with that proposal that would allow the transfer student to play immediately.
Here is the example which I touched on another thread. Rich Rodriguez is the new Michigan coach. Ryan Mallett committed to Michigan hoping to develop into a pro style offense because of his size and strong arm. We all know about Rich Rodriguez spread offense. Ryan Mallett would benefit from a Bobby Petrino pro style approach offense now in Arkansas, WHY NOT?
This is a career issue that should be looked at like TSN Matt Hayes stated.
Thanks

Last edited:
i think this would create so much leap frogging that it would be impossible to recruit.
it would also contribute to less discipline among players who, when being discplined or get benched just jump school.... can't see it

I don't know, I kinda agree with what they are proposing. I wouldn't have committed if I knew the coach was leaving.

whats the problem with that? Most players commit to a school to play for that coach... so why couldnt they follow the coach?

Maybe cap it to a max # of players can go to that team? say 10 players max can leave the school to go to the coaches new school... or it could be in the contract of the coach that they are not allowed to take any players with them if they leave.

so mcfadden follows houston nutt to old miss? i dont see arkansas allowing that to happen, nor most schools. he will probably go pro any way so my suggestion is probably moot.

Clearly the new media is beating this drum and on the surface sounds do able. But in the end the schools will have to buy in.

I think the system works just fine, the way it is. Gabshere is right, the abuse of the intent would be rampant.
Mr. Wozniak:
Some of you are missing the two main points:
1. Freshmen and sophomores [in good academic standing].
2. Career implications to QB's due to new coaching philosophies.
That is NOT any different when you get a new boss and you don't like him or her and you take yourself somewhere else to work. I'll go further by saying that eventually a smart lawyer or lawyers will find a system loop hole and challenge that in court.

Last edited:
Players should commit to the best education and opportunity a school presents. If they want to follow a coach they should have to sit a year. Otherwise what stops a team from recruiting a player from another school? Let's say Miami has a down year, and Florida just had a great year. Miami offers the coach at Florida a large raise with the expectation that he will bring along certain players.

I think players should be prohibited from accepting any current transfer or high school recruit that they had any personal contact with when they choose to leave a school. I've seen too many cases of tampering in these situations to think it brings any good.

Coaches don't want penalty free transfers. The "UNLV rule" (allowing graduate students to transfer without penalty, so-named because it allowed Kevin Kruger to play with his dad UNLV coach Lon Kruger) low in college basketball was rescinded after only one seaso.n (I'm sure UNLV making the Sweet 16 had nothing at all to do with it. :p )

so mcfadden follows houston nutt to old miss? i dont see arkansas allowing that to happen, nor most schools. he will probably go pro any way so my suggestion is probably moot.

Clearly the new media is beating this drum and on the surface sounds do able. But in the end the schools will have to buy in.
If I'm NOT mistaken McFadden is a junior. The proposal discussed here applies to:
Freshmen and sophomores in good academic standing, Sir.
Thank you

Last edited:
Mr. Wozniak:
That is NOT any different when you get a new boss and you don't like him or her and you take yourself somewhere else to work. I'll go further by saying that eventually a smart lawyer or lawyers will find a system loop hole and challenge that in court.

Didn't miss it, I just don't agree. One question though, do players lose any of their eligibility for transferring now? If they do, I would think that should be changed, but not the sit-out rule. Let them move, sit out a season, but give them all the eligibility they still had.

Mr. Wozniak:

Playing college football is NOT a job.

Didn't miss it, I just don't agree. One question though, do players lose any of their eligibility for transferring now? If they do, I would think that should be changed, but not the sit-out rule. Let them move, sit out a season, but give them all the eligibility they still had.
This is what I am thinking, too. If they don't lose any eligibility, they should have to sit out a year.