New consideration in Youtube dispute

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Youtube in a dispute has lost all ABC programming. Locals, ESPN's, National Geographic, FX, FXX and more.

I bring this up here because besides showing DISH is far from the only one now not just paying what they want, there is a new wrinkle.
According to TWIT, customers swamped Youtube with complaints because they lost all "recorded" programming (Shows not available from on demand) from all the stations now taken down from Youtube. Some is Christmas programming they were going to watch this weekend. And of course on demand is no longer available for those stations.

customers swamped Youtube with complaints because they lost all "recorded" programming (Shows not available from on demand) from all the stations now taken down from Youtube.
Well, that sucks. This can't happen to us on Dish DVRs, can it?
Of course..they can just subscribe to someone else in about 30 seconds and stop all the boohooing
One wonders how that possibility restores the programming Tampa reported above...

No, it never has anyway on purpose in 24 or so years I have had it. There was one time there was a problem playing a movie channel's recorded movies after a freeview was over but it was not a designed limitation and was fixed.

EDiT - To be more accurate for however long I had a DVR there was no DVR of course at the beginning...

Last edited:
YTTV subscribers lost Disney owned channels for all of 2 days ( they are now back), if there was something that important on, they can just use Hulu or Disney+.

One wonders how that possibility restores the programming Tampa reported above...
No, it should not because of how "Fair Use" is interpreted/treated by courts and the media companies because that content was recorded from a LIVE Linear TV stream (for which we have PAID for legal access to that content) INTO OUR DOMICILES and recorded LOCALLY onto a storage device that is IN OUR DOMICIELS.

However, Dish and other traditional MVPD's do have the technical ability to do just about anything they want to on our DVR's, including taking away any recordings and even preventing the skip buttons, FF, REW buttons from working, and even killing all DVR capability, whenever they wish.

However, the media Companies don't ever want to have "Fair Use" be definitively defined by SCOTUS (it is a risk they are not willing to take), so they tread lightly and through MVPD's like Dish taking steps to prevent transferring of recordings and other measures deigned to secure these recordings, the media companies allow a "hands off policy" to our Dish and traditional MVPD DVR recordings, but NOT for vMVPD's like YTTV.

FWIW, I do believe that the media companies should not take away recordings already saved on remote servers of vMVPD's other than the stated preservation of that recording as per user agreement of the vMVPD should a channel no longer be available on that vMVPD service.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts