New Construction install question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

statedogg

Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I am preparing to rough-in a new house and I want to get the right cabling in place. Currently I have 1 D10, 1R10, and 1 R15, and a triple LNB dish with the builtin switch.

I plan to upgrade the R10 and R15 to a new HD DVRs. HD locals aren't available yet, but I want to prepare for them. Since I have the opportunity to do whatever I want what would be my best option for 2 HD DVRs and 3 non DVR receivers? I'll need the MPEG 4 compatible dish I assume, but should I go with the SWM built in to the dish or w/o and the a WB68?

Now is the time to go for overkill on your wiring runs, as there is no telling what the future will bring.

Personally, I recommend that you run 2 RG6 and 2 Cat5e to every location that you may possible want a receiver. Run them back to a central location, and from there run 6 RG6 and 2 Cat5e to the outside drop points. This may seem like a lot, but it will save you a lot of issues in the future.

And make sure that you label EVERY cable on both ends.

Here is the definition of overkill.....
New House Photos

The above link is for my house when I built it 3 years ago!

Personally run 4 cables to the Dish along with a 5th to an OTA antenna.

Mininum 2 RG6 cables to each outlet, I recommend 4 to be safe

Minimum 1 Cat5 cable to each outlet, I recommend 2 to be safe

1 Cat5 cable to each outlet for telephone.

Here is the definition of overkill.....
New House Photos

The above link is for my house when I built it 3 years ago!

Personally run 4 cables to the Dish along with a 5th to an OTA antenna.

Mininum 2 RG6 cables to each outlet, I recommend 4 to be safe

Minimum 1 Cat5 cable to each outlet, I recommend 2 to be safe

1 Cat5 cable to each outlet for telephone.

And this is the reason that I said to label each end of the cable...:D
http://www.dishretailer.com/house/103CANON/IMG_0328.JPG

I would stick to legacy gear and avoid swim it not going to just in case, gear is still cheap compare to SWM, and years down the line you can still upgrade to SWM.

But running 2 or 4 lines at one time is just as easy as running one.

When my wife and I moved in our current house I ran four CAT 6 and four RG6 to every room. Now it seems as I may need to run more. Never would have thought it.

I close on my house Wednesday and ran every low voltage wire possible.

Be prepared. If you have a wife like mine, you will be rearranging rooms like crazy in the years to come. Have multiple connections available in each room.

I ran 3 1-gang boxes to each bedroom filled with a minimum of 2 Coax and an RG6. My office was hit with the same, plus an additional 6 coax and 6 RG6. I also ran 4 RG6 to the attic for easy roof-top install (even though I'm considering a pole mount now)

The Family Room has 4 coax and 4 RG6 (I will add more as needed, drops to the basement easily) and also pre-ran speaker cable for 2 rears.

All of this cable collects on the sides of the house and will be ran to a central wiring area under the basement steps (my fun for tomorrow).

I have debated whether to get the SWM8 since I have an H20-100 and D11 that I don't think will play well with a SWMLine dish SWM setup. The wife put a hold on this until after the installer comes out Saturday.

Good Luck and expect to spend a good day or two wiring the house if you end up doing it yourself.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)