New Construction Wiring Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

puffster

Original poster
Jul 12, 2009
Louisville, KY
I'm building a new house and trying to figure out the best way to run the wiring for my HD DVRs. There will be a total of 4 spread across two floors. To get the full benefit of the DVRs, I know I need to run two coaxes 1 phone line, and 1 ethernet line. My ethernet will be DSL.

The coax isn't a problem, but I'm trying to think of the best way to run the phone line/ethernet line. My first thought was to run two seperate lines, one for the phone and one for the DSL. My question is, is there a better way to do this? The more I'm thinking about it, I'm thinking I should be able to make just one run that would carry both the phone and DSL connection to the wall plate, then use a DSL filter to seperate the two out. If I do this way, then wouldn't I need a central line coming in to my modem and to the router, and multiple lines coming out of the router to the different rooms?

I'm kind of new to this and don't want to mess up my one shot to get it right.

I'm assuming you mean to say your Internet will be DSL based.

If you want them all networked, you'll bring one DSL line to the house, connected to a DSL modem/router, which will then connect to the Ethernet lines to the DVR's.

You won't need the "phone" side at the DVR's because
a) if you're connected to the Internet, they'll send their PPV info over the Internet
b) you don't put multiple DSL modems on the same line in the house.

I would run two Cat5e's along with 2 coaxes to each location, then you're pretty safe. The incremental cost to do this is nil compared to doing it later/over.

cable and cat 5 are cheap. You can never have too much of each. At a minimum, two rg-6 runs and 2 cat 5 runs to as many walls as you can. Even if you never use it. Fixing it later is a lot tougher. You never know when you will decide to move things around, so over do it.. Run everything back to a central point, like a media box. Then run multiple cables from the media box to the outside.. DO NOT SKIMP.

For future changes, I'd suggest that you put in a data/voice filter where the phone line enters. This has two outputs, one each for the phones and the other for DSL. This removes the need to have DSL filters at each phone equipment location. You'll still need a dedicated line to the DSL modem. But, if you homerun from a central location to where you need phones and possibly the DSL, then you can easily make changes. Another way, would be to put the DSL modem in the central location and run the RG45 from there. And if the DSL modem is also a wireless router, you get the picture.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts