help in aiming

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tapeisrolling

Original poster
Jul 11, 2009
SE Michigan
I have a unit that I set up away from home and all of a sudden it started to blank out. I bumped the dish and it worked ok for a day then started going blank again. Now I get the "searching for signal". The only signal meter I could lay my hands on was a Radio Shack model. I connect up and tweek the dish till the meter is screaming, connect back up and go get the "seach for signal" message. I have gone back and forth multiple times and even moved the mount thinking it may be tree branch hampering the constant signal flow.
Still no good picture and frustration is starting to set in. Any ideas and suggestions would be well recieved. Thanks

I have a unit that I set up away from home and all of a sudden it started to blank out. I bumped the dish and it worked ok for a day then started going blank again. Now I get the "searching for signal". The only signal meter I could lay my hands on was a Radio Shack model. I connect up and tweek the dish till the meter is screaming, connect back up and go get the "seach for signal" message. I have gone back and forth multiple times and even moved the mount thinking it may be tree branch hampering the constant signal flow.
Still no good picture and frustration is starting to set in. Any ideas and suggestions would be well recieved. Thanks
You may be pointing at the wrong satellite, the simple signal meters don't tell you which satellite you are receiving. Otherwise you could have a faulty cable or connector.

Forget the meter unless you can pick a Sat, get someone in front of the rec and peak with the on screen

Thank you all for your assistance. I got the beast working by moving the dish about 15 feet further out. I think a couple tree branches will meet the end of life. I have a slim window to pull the signal in and the growth has affected it.
I did have the wrong sat on one of my attempts. My final compass reading confirmed it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.