New customer given an R16?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DSpud

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
Laredo, TX
Is there any reason a new customer would be given an R16 STB? I had friends that signed up yesterday, and that's what they were given. I noticed almost immediately when I went to their house that they didn't have HD so I had to check it out. They only have one TV hooked up, so they would have no use for anything that's compatible with the whole home DVR system, but I still think they should have been offered something that has HD. Thoughts? Would their be any increase in initial or monthly price getting any HDDVR over the R16?

there are additional fees for HD, but usually those are credited for at least the first year..
Usually, if the customer gets an SD receiver it's because they didnt want an HD.. If they DO want an HD they can call and change the order (if they haven't been installed yet), or if they just got installed yesterday, they can call and have it swapped.

Yes, if they asked for an SD install they would get an R16. Maybe someone got confused. If they only have one TV, and it's SD, that might explain it. But even then, they should really have asked for an HD box. If they replace their TV, it will surely be an HD one, and then if they want to upgrade to HD it will cost them to get an HD box.

Won't be long before the R16 will be a thing of the past. The R22 is making its way back that's taking over so all receivers excluding D-12's and H-20's will be whole home compatible. As for getting an R-16, yes it's perfectly normal

Im sure your friend was offered HD, and they probably didn't want to pay the $25 Advanced receiver services or said they didn't have an HDTV or something.

Over 25% of the sales commission is selling an HD/DVR, but if a customer doesn't want to pay for an HD/DVR, or doesn't want HD/DVR the sales rep will not argue with them over it and will just sign the customer up with standard equipment as not to risk loosing the sale.

I did an install a few months ago and the guy had a beautifull flat screen TV and was getting standard def equipment. I called back the sales rep and yelled at him for not selling the customer HD, and was told the customer refused. I talked to the customer and was told the same thing, and that he would rather save the $10 per month, not really realizing there was a difference.

Ended up modifying the work order and sold him HD, and I showed him the difference between HD and STD and he was happy I upsold him. But most customers just don't know that there is a difference.

I know a number of people who have HD tv's, but only get SD service from their cable or satellite company. Sometimes it because of money, but often it's because, at least to their eye, they really don't see a difference.

I have a neighbor who bought a huge TV, I think it's 70", but refuses to pay the extra monthly fee because "I'm happy with what I have". Besides SD, the screen is way too big for the very small room (when he stretches out in his recliner, his feet almost touch the screen) so everything looks terrible that close. I get a headache every time I come over, but he's just delighted with his "big picture".

The thing is, there's a HUGE difference between SD and HD on DirecTV. It's a night and day difference. DirecTV SD is so overly compressed, that to get comparable picture quality on cable, they would have to run 16 channels on one QAM.

Here Cable runs about 10, maybe 12 at most channels in SD on one QAM frequency. SD actually looks pretty good. The only thing is the aspect ratio and some missing detail, besides that, it's watchable. Can't say the same for DirecTV's SD. This is why I can't wait for D14 to launch and become active. I'd like to see every channel broadcasted in HD if the producer offers it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Yes, I think people don't understand there is a huge difference between SD and HD versions of a channel even on an SD TV, because there is so much less compression on the signal and so the PQ is much better.

Im sure your friend was offered HD, and they probably didn't want to pay the $25 Advanced receiver services or said they didn't have an HDTV or something.

Over 25% of the sales commission is selling an HD/DVR, but if a customer doesn't want to pay for an HD/DVR, or doesn't want HD/DVR the sales rep will not argue with them over it and will just sign the customer up with standard equipment as not to risk loosing the sale.

I did an install a few months ago and the guy had a beautifull flat screen TV and was getting standard def equipment. I called back the sales rep and yelled at him for not selling the customer HD, and was told the customer refused. I talked to the customer and was told the same thing, and that he would rather save the $10 per month, not really realizing there was a difference.

Ended up modifying the work order and sold him HD, and I showed him the difference between HD and STD and he was happy I upsold him. But most customers just don't know that there is a difference.

Were you able to "Show" him the difference before the paperwork went thru charging him for the HD ?
The sub at that point, without you showing him, would have to trust you on that call, which I think most that didn't know the difference, would continue to be skeptical and would not allow an addl bill if he hadn't seen the difference first.

$25 fee for a receiver? Who would pay that?

You do ...
Every one does if they have HD and a DVR, it's just the HD fee plus the DVR fee combined ... I'm missing one here though, also the 3-5 dollars for WH (MRV), that part is still up for debate as some do have it and others don't. I don't, don't have a need for it in my current situation.

The thing is, there's a HUGE difference between SD and HD on DirecTV. It's a night and day difference. DirecTV SD is so overly compressed, that to get comparable picture quality on cable, they would have to run 16 channels on one QAM.

Here Cable runs about 10, maybe 12 at most channels in SD on one QAM frequency. SD actually looks pretty good. The only thing is the aspect ratio and some missing detail, besides that, it's watchable. Can't say the same for DirecTV's SD. This is why I can't wait for D14 to launch and become active. I'd like to see every channel broadcasted in HD if the producer offers it.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I had DirecTV HD on a SDTV tube and it looked so much better, like watching DVD's on it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)