New Customer question about locals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jerseyfla

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 7, 2006
Georgia
I will be getting D* hopefully in the next week pending approval from the base housing office (Yes, I have to go through an act of Congress to get satellite put up in my house.). I live in the Orlando market but I lived most of my life in Tampa and quite frankly the tv stations programming except for two stations and the newscasts here suck compared to Tampa. I know that Tampa's spot beam goes deep into the Orlando beam and vice versa with Orlando's going into Tampa, I want to know since I am going to be paying for both SD and HD locals what can I tell Directv about my zip code? Can I get off by saying my billing address is the same as my current one except the zip being my parents zip or I heard about a physical address where the satellite is for people who are seasonal. What is the best way of getting Tampa locals over Orlando locals?

Last edited:
jerseyfla said:
I am going to be paying for both SD and HD locals; what can I tell Directv about my zip code?

Welcome to SatGuys!

I would setup my services and then change the service address (not the billing address) and run like this:

1. Use a Tampa city limits zip code on the service address to get their HD locals.

2. Attach the correct OTA antenna for your area to receive the Orlando OTA locals; SD & digital.

Maybe someone that does it can explain if you can setup the two seperate addresses during the install phase.

Keep in mind that the HD spotbeams in some markets are smaller than the SD spotbeams. St. Louis, Birmingham, and Boston are some examples.

What do you mean the HD Spotbeams are smaller in some areas than SD Spotbeams? Does that affect your HD Picture?How is the picture affected?I live in St.Louis.

No, it only means that the covered areas are smallerbecause DirecTV only needs to cover a smaller area. No effect on the PQ.

Yeah, what Charper said. There are some areas covered by the SD spot that the HD spot won't reach, so a few zip codes/counties in certain markets won't get HD locals.

I would setup my services and then change the service address (not the billing address) and run like this:

1. Use a Tampa city limits zip code on the service address to get their HD locals.

2. Attach the correct OTA antenna for your area to receive the Orlando OTA locals; SD & digital.

Maybe someone that does it can explain if you can setup the two seperate addresses during the install phase.

I called and ordered the system today with both the install and service address being at my current address and zip.

The dish will be installed Friday. How do I change my service address and/or zip code to my parents Tampa area zip without someone coming out?

Do I call DTV or is there a way to change it online or on one of the dish menus?

Can someone who does this explain?

Here are the DMA maps for those 2 areas. Note that you can see the Tampa area vs the Orlando area colors (DMA areas). Notice POLK county is shown as the closest Tampa DMA area location to you in the Orlando DMA area.

Find some addresses w/zip codes (if you don't know any) from that county that you can use and then test them in the DMA tool on DirecTV's website to verify them.

When a "moved" user replies here on 'who and how to call to make the change', you will be ready.

I THINK you can do it all online, but I would wait for a "mover" to give you the details.

Attachments

• Tampa St Pete Sarasota DMA Map.gif
    Tampa St Pete Sarasota DMA Map.gif
    21.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Orlando Daytona Melbourne DMA Map.gif
    Orlando Daytona Melbourne DMA Map.gif
    29.5 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts