New D12-700 seems to not recognize the round 18" legacy dish/lnb

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Satman99

Original poster
Oct 3, 2013
mb
HI Guys

I just installed a new d12-700 receiver but it has all red x's once it get to the configure part of the setup. I set the receiver configuration to 18" round dish & multiswitch but everytime I go back to reset or reconfigure receiver it reverts back to Slimline 5 dish setup. Has anyone else had issue like this before?

My satellite signal strength is from 81 to 94 and my old rca435 receiver works fine with this same setup and pulls in the video and sound with no problems.

So is it a lnb issue because it is an older system? or is it a rg6 cable/connector issue? or is it the new d12-700 receiver issue not wanting to switch from slimline 5?

So I have reset the receiver a few times and unplugged it and let it sit but it seems to do the same thing and last night it tells me i need to call DTV to activate the receiver again. Any ideas on whats going on? Do I need to buy a new lnb or is it the receiver that won't supply the necessary voltage to the lnb? it almost seems that way but unsure.

Thanks,
Satman:confused:

HI Guys I just installed a new d12-700 receiver but it has all red x's once it get to the configure part of the setup. I set the receiver configuration to 18" round dish & multiswitch but everytime I go back to reset or reconfigure receiver it reverts back to Slimline 5 dish setup. Has anyone else had issue like this before? My satellite signal strength is from 81 to 94 and my old rca435 receiver works fine with this same setup and pulls in the video and sound with no problems. So is it a lnb issue because it is an older system? or is it a rg6 cable/connector issue? or is it the new d12-700 receiver issue not wanting to switch from slimline 5? So I have reset the receiver a few times and unplugged it and let it sit but it seems to do the same thing and last night it tells me i need to call DTV to activate the receiver again. Any ideas on whats going on? Do I need to buy a new lnb or is it the receiver that won't supply the necessary voltage to the lnb? it almost seems that way but unsure. Thanks, Satman:confused:

Your signals or too low for the receiver to activate. You'll need to either 1 repeal your dish or 2 call directv to get a waiver and get you activated. You're seeing these signals of 81-94 on the D12, correct?

Hey Hutch
Thanks for the reply. I would says 80% of the transponders are at 91-94% signal strength on the signal meter with the lowest at 81 on 3 different transponders. But when I hook up my old rca435 receiver it brings in the channel video's & audio signals but when I go to hook up the new D12 receiver it always wants to revert back to slimline 5 lnb setting. This is the thing that puzzles me why can I receive channels with an old rca435 receiver but not the D12. I also have a HR44 that has a lower overall average of signal strength between 88-91% but still receive all the channels. I will look at trying to peak the old 18" round dish more precisely but I didn't have any issues with receiving/view these same channels with my old 435 ird with the current signal strength I am receiving. Maybe this new d12 receiver is just alot more finicky???

Satman

As hutch1814 is suggesting, this looks like an Install Verification (IV) issue. From your post, it looks like you are trying to install a new "installer" D12 on an account that is configured for a Slimline dish but you are using a round dish. I've seen posts to suggest you can't do this. The suggestion is that until the box passes IV on the config for that account, it is not movable to a different dish configuration. I don't know this for sure but it seems quite possible this is the case. If that is the situation, my guess then is if you connect it to the slimline dish, it might pass IV. Or your signals might be slightly too low, not sure what the threshold is. In which case you will have to call for an IV waiver. Once the D12 is up and running, you can move it and connect to the round dish, specify multiswitch and 18in round, and it should be OK.
Of course, just getting an IV waiver might be enough to allow the box to be configured for the 18in round.

Hey Guys
Yes Texasbrit you are correct it is a new "installer" D12 with a old 18" round dish setup & a HR44 with a slimline SWM5 dish because I just moved back from overseas. So your probably right in that my account is setup for a slimline swm 5 dish. So, I have a few follow up questions. Can I hook up the D12 to a slimline swm 5 dish with a power inserter? Because I thought that the D12 supplies power to the lnb itself and if I hook it up to an external 29v power insert with this cause any issues or damage to the D12? Also do I need a multi switch for the D12 receiver whether it is hooked up to slimline swm 5 dish or a round 18" dish?

Thanks,
Satman

Hey Guys
Yes Texasbrit you are correct it is a new "installer" D12 with a old 18" round dish setup & a HR44 with a slimline SWM5 dish because I just moved back from overseas. So your probably right in that my account is setup for a slimline swm 5 dish. So, I have a few follow up questions. Can I hook up the D12 to a slimline swm 5 dish with a power inserter? yup! Because I thought that the D12 supplies power to the lnb itself and if I hook it up to an external 29v power insert with this cause any issues or damage to the D12? nope Also do I need a multi switch for the D12 receiver whether it is hooked up to slimline swm 5 dish or a round 18" dish? nope

Thanks,
Satman
:) yup, nope and nope

The D12 is SWM compatible so yes you can connect it to an SWM dish with a power inserter. The D12 should self-configure to the SWM dish, if that is what the account is set up for. . Then assuming the signals are strong enough it should pass IV. Once it has been activated, you can move it to a non-SWM dish. You then need to change the multiswitch to "multiswitch" and then change the dish type to 18in round, you must do it in that order.

As HIFI says, yup, nope and nope.

Post back when you have tried it.

Hey Guys

I will give it a shot later tonight after work and let you guys know what the scoop is. Thanks again for all the advice/input because I have only ever used the older receiver(rca435) up to this point.

Hey Guys

I got the D12 working and activated without hooking it up to the Slimeline 5 swm dish. I retuned the 18' round dish and put on a new lnb. The signal strength was only a few percentage point higher. But this time it downloaded the guide and works even though it stated it didn't see the odd transponders. Which is weird because after it downloaded the guide and flipped thru all the channels in sub premier channel pckg and I am receiving all of them. So just for fun of it I put on the old lnb and it showed again that it wasn't picking up the odd transponders but then when it downloaded the guide all the channels were there. I am glad its working but would like to know what's up with the receiver initially showing it's not receiving the odd transponders???
My second question is what satellite and transponder are channel 265(A&E) & 502 on?? I sometimes lose these two channels on 771 error but no other channels on my HR44.

Status
Please reply by conversation.