New Directv customer!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
Howdy Folks. Dish wasn't will to go that tiny extra distance to keep me as a customer so I switched to Directv! I've got the HMC HD DVR and an additional HD receiver coming and the choice package. I'm stoked to get my regional sports network so I can watch Kevin Love school Lebron James this winter.

Welcome :wave to Directv

I see your location says Duluth
Supposedly Duluth will be getting HD locals this year (hoping) ;)

Also you should get FSN Wisco (669-1) for the Brewers games along with FS North. The FSN North + feeds ya gotta check the alts...they vary by each game. Usually its 657-1 or 658-1.

Now if Directv would add KBJR-DT2 for the UMD games I'd be happy :)

Howdy Folks. Dish wasn't will to go that tiny extra distance to keep me as a customer so I switched to Directv! I've got the HMC HD DVR and an additional HD receiver coming and the choice package. I'm stoked to get my regional sports network so I can watch Kevin Love school Lebron James this winter.

Welcome to D* !

If you have questions, feel free to ask, plenty of us willing to help if needed.

Hope you enjoy it. Directv is as good if not better than dish. Don't let the dish fan boys here convince you any differently.

Just a FYI Duluth locals were uplinked today in HD...not available yet
3,6,8,10,21 and that religious channel 27

Welome to Direc. Im sure you will enjoy.

Cool. Except for the religious channel.

right now its not on Directv at all. As to why they are going to launch it in MPEG4 is beyond me.....I think thew channel is in SD only so why not put it on 119 with the rest of the SD locals?

Didn't think we needed another thread, so I'll just tag onto this one.

I had DirecTV installed to replace Dish today. I got the HR-34 whole home DVR and an HD box for my second TV. So far everything seems great. I signed up for Premiere, but for some reason Sony Movie Channel and Palladia tell me I'm not subscribed to them. I don't know if something got messed up with my account setup or not. I'll call customer service to see.

Do you have the HD Extra pack activated? Sony Movie Channel and Palladia are in the HD Extra package, which is "technically" $5.99 a month, but you can usually add it for free for 3 months, then after that is over, go back in and add it free for 3 months again. I have did this for over 18 months. That is probably your problem though, you have to be subscribed to that package to get those.

We have several series timers set to record first run only, but the HR34 seems to be recording more than that. Any ideas what could be causing it to do this?

If you have the new Genie software enabled, it could be recording what it thinks you want to watch.

If you have the new Genie software enabled, it could be recording what it thinks you want to watch.

I checked and Genie was turned off. I toggled it on and off to make sure.

For example, last night I had a timer set to record Haven on SyFy. It recorded it twice at the same time. It did that again this morning with another timer.

I'm switching to DirecTV from Brighthouse in about a month or two when we move from 36092 to 36093. I can bundle with AT&T and save about $20 per month. I'm getting Choice Ultimate with the HD pack, an HD DVR and an HD box. I have a few questions though:

1. I have a Tivo Premier under contract until March. Does DirecTV provide cable cards to work with those or will I just have to eat that cost?
2. My co-worker says to mention his account number when I sign up because we will both receive a discount. What kind of discount would I get?
3. I've had Dish HD in the past. How does DirecTV HD PQ compare?
4. Does DirecTV have capacity to add more HD. Will we see more channel launches over the next year? Brighthouse did not add a single HD channel in my area the year I was with them. (They only have 54)
5. Do the DirecTV boxes have antenna inputs like the Dish boxes? I want to be able to pick up the local sub channels.

Thanks for the input!

1. No
2. $100
3. As good or slightly better. I don't currently have Dish but where I have seen it they seem about the same.
4. They have recently added 6 or 7. No one knows when they will add more but they do have some capacity.
5. No, you would need an add-on box to receive OTA. About $50.

I'll answer what I can.

#1: no cable cards with DirecTV
#2: I believe it is $10/month for 5 months
#3: IMO, I think the D*'s HD PQ is slightly better than E*'s, some think it is hands down much better. SD is horrid though.
#4: They are fiddling with compression techniques these days and it appears they have some room to add more even before the next bird goes up. And they have added quite a few this year already.
#5: D* boxes haven't had antenna inputs for years, but they have the optional AM21 which will give you that capability.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts