New DIRECTV H20 MPEG-2/4 on sale

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Robert,

Thanks for the deal. As Scrib just asked..is the Dish available yet as well?

I expect the H20 to be available by early August. The dishes will be available sometime in September or October '05.

The new H20 would give your the interactive services for now and make your system MPEG-2/4 HD ready.

-Robert

rockaway1836 said:
He was telling me that the new setup will need two dishes. This guy is not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I'm just wondering if he's right about this. Thanks........Rich

One dish on my roof is bad enough... Two... :no

Scrib said:
One dish on my roof is bad enough... Two... :no

Sorry I did not answer this part of the question. The new dish is a single 5 LNB 24"x36" dish not two dishes. In fact, 2 dishes would not work as the 5 LNB's are a mix of KA and KU band frequencies and need to be multi-plexed by the built-in matrix switch.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Sorry I did not answer this part of the question. The new dish is a single 5 LNB 24"x36" dish not two dishes.

-Robert

WOW!!! That's a big dish. How big are the current triple LNBs? Maybe 18"x24", if that???

Regardless, awesome info. Now the only question is whether to get something like this or wait for the mpeg4 DVR???

vurbano said:
Umm. Why pay 200 bucks for this thing when D* is supposed to upgrade us for free?

or if you don't want to extend your contract for 2 years. I am sure to get the upgrade from D* you will have to commit to another 2 years.

The larger dish does two things we need for reliable service.

1. More signal gain to reduce rain fade.

2. A broader view of the multible satellite arc.

-Robert

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
shappyss, No manual yet.

Sure will be interesting to see it when it does come out, as I suspect it will probably answer some of our questions regarding MPEG4, new dishes and MPEG4 HD.

~Alan

Okay, I see it now. I couldn't quite be sure but does this box have a DD 5.1 decoder via an optical output.

Edit: I need to stop scanning and read word for word. It does have Dolby digital AC-3 Fiber optic outputs.

I did order one, however the price came out as $0. I am assuming that is because the card will be billed upon shipment?

I was tempted to go with the DVR15 as well. Will an MPEG4 DVR be coming down the road as well?

The H10 is definately full of holes. Mine reboots a few times a week. I am starting to get used to it but I better not bother as I am a Super Fan subscriber and due for replacement according to the rumors.

uncrules said:
Okay, I see it now. I couldn't quite be sure but does this box have a DD 5.1 decoder via an optical output.

Edit: I need to stop scanning and read word for word. It does have Dolby digital AC-3 Fiber optic outputs.

It better since the previous HD receivers do. I'm really looking forward to getting my hands on one but will wait until we're upgraded to MPEG-4 here in the next few months.

I think I'll just wait.

I remember when the TU-HDS20 was going to solve all the worlds problems, then it was the Zenith 1080 was the bees knees, then the Sony HD100, HD200, 300, Sammy 160, 360 HTL-HD, oh wait the H10 will do everything perfectly!!!

I am perfectly content with our 2 160's, our 360 is sweet as not only a HD box but also as a scaler/upconverting unit, that also outputs over HD15 for CRT projection, I would LOVE to take a hammer to our H10.

It seems as though DerrrecTV takes steps backwards since the Sammy/LG boxes.

(Sarcasticly) Does the H20 have component out? Wouldn't surprise me if they ignored the 5 million or HDTV's without a digital input like HD-DVD is doing with the lobotomizing down rezzing over component.

I'm done being an early adopter (1st HDTV in 1999), been burned toooooo many times.

But I do appreciate the info! :)

This may be a bit off subject, but now that we know there is a reciever available in early August, what multi-switch is going to be compatable with the new mpeg 4 equipment. SolidSignal is running the terk 5 x 8 switch on sale. It would be a huge waste of money if it is not going to be compatable with anything new. Any info to throw out Robert?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)