New DIRECTV H20 MPEG-2/4 on sale

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DrummerSmith1 said:
This may be a bit off subject, but now that we know there is a reciever available in early August, what multi-switch is going to be compatable with the new mpeg 4 equipment. SolidSignal is running the terk 5 x 8 switch on sale. It would be a huge waste of money if it is not going to be compatable with anything new. Any info to throw out Robert?

Might want to read Post #24 by Robert.

Interesting situation here. Ive heard that D* may not allow self installs anymore. Is that true? If it is then there would be no point in buying the new box instead of letting D* install it. There will be no mpeg4 channels for us anyway without the new 5 LNB Dish installation so this box really does nothing for you until that time, maybe interactive but most could care less about that. That new Dish is a real monster, so maybe the no self installs rumor is right? Does anyone know if that rumor is true?

uncrules said:
I thought the no self-installs only applied to dishes, not the STBs. Of course I could be wrong.

If you couldn't do STB installs yourself, I don't think they'd still be available for purchase at retailers??? :confused:

LOL... and I have a bridge to sell them :) The h10 is an absolute POS - especially when compared to the Hughes HTL-HD (Yes I have both)

jim

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
I asked the same questions and DIRECTV assures me that these new H20's are flawless. We will see, the proof is in the pudding.

-Robert

When we say 5 lnb - I am assuming that means 5 cable runs into the house? Or will the 4 I have now still work. Any word on new multiswitches.. I refuse to let DirecTv or their henchmen install a system in my house.. they have absolutly butchered the hell out of my house the past 2 times.. never again!!

ie.. do I need to run wire number 5 now while the weather is nice :)

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Sorry I did not answer this part of the question. The new dish is a single 5 LNB 24"x36" dish not two dishes. In fact, 2 dishes would not work as the 5 LNB's are a mix of KA and KU band frequencies and need to be multi-plexed by the built-in matrix switch.

-Robert

uncrules said:
I thought the no self-installs only applied to dishes, not the STBs. Of course I could be wrong.

no self installs for new subs eq and no self installs on dishes. you can swap out your own irds at will.

jim tressler said:
When we say 5 lnb - I am assuming that means 5 cable runs into the house? Or will the 4 I have now still work. Any word on new multiswitches.. I refuse to let DirecTv or their henchmen install a system in my house.. they have absolutly butchered the hell out of my house the past 2 times.. never again!!

ie.. do I need to run wire number 5 now while the weather is nice :)

5 lnd dish, integrated multiswitch, 4 ports output

DTV TiVo Dealer said:
Sorry I did not answer this part of the question. The new dish is a single 5 LNB 24"x36" dish not two dishes. In fact, 2 dishes would not work as the 5 LNB's are a mix of KA and KU band frequencies and need to be multi-plexed by the built-in matrix switch.

-Robert

robert,

i heard the dishes they have stockpiled are 24X36 that is correct. i also hear from contacts the second generation is in production and is 22X28, you heard anything on this??

So I'm in a top 12 DMA. What happens to our new MPEG4 STB's when the HMC comes out and we have to replace them with client boxes? Free swap with D* or purchase the clients and ebay the H20's? Or can the H20 double as the HMC client box?

Forgive me if that's a stupid question - first post. I plan on using that excuse for at least another month...

I don't think it matters what multiswitch is used, since MPEG-4 is a compression scheme, not a signal scheme like DBS or FSS. The existing multiswitches should work just fine.

Neutron said:
I don't think it matters what multiswitch is used, since MPEG-4 is a compression scheme, not a signal scheme like DBS or FSS. The existing multiswitches should work just fine.

neutron,

they will have to be the POWERED 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitches that the phase III currently uses if you need more ports

lee78221 said:
Directv is going to the Ka-band with HD so the existing multiswitches will not work.

http://www.tech-faq.com/ka-band.shtml

lee,

the hd lnbs and the sd lnbs both collect and amplify their respective bands AND convert the signal to electro magnetic. and they both do so at the same freq.
IMHO the multiswitch doesn't care if it is ka or ku, the existing m/s will work.

sateck01 said:
neutron,

they will have to be the POWERED 4X8 or 5X8 multiswitches that the phase III currently uses if you need more ports

Powered is all I know on multiswitches, since that's what mine is. So in other words my 4X8 should work just fine.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)