New Directv HR54 and H44 models

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I am down in the Corpus Area. Do you come down for a brief trip or a Winter Texan type trip? I have been a long time lurker.
I come down to get a break from the cold and snow up here, but only for a few weeks.
My parents do the Winter Texan thing from Jan - April and I find a way to get down there.
I usually end up in Brownsville and McAllen areas.

You people and your apple products.... Ill need to test whether my genie go can send a program while it is still being recorded. This would be similar to the trick pause of live tv on an HD receiver that is not a client. you start recording it then pause the recording itself. Well if you start recording something remotely, you should be able to then stream it via genie go (ok on android) I havnt tested this, but Ill give it a shot next time Im out.

You people and your apple products.... Ill need to test whether my genie go can send a program while it is still being recorded. This would be similar to the trick pause of live tv on an HD receiver that is not a client. you start recording it then pause the recording itself. Well if you start recording something remotely, you should be able to then stream it via genie go (ok on android) I havnt tested this, but Ill give it a shot next time Im out.
don't bother, it works but only on WiFI on iOS

Why doesn't directv just make the genie standard for all new installs?

Their goal is to have everyone with a Genie.

So why not install everyone with an HD/DVR give everyone a 3 month free trial and if the customer doesn't want a DVR then turn off the DVR functionality of the receiver.

They do this right now for bulk MDU accounts.
I will take a stab...
Because unlike Dish which phases out equipment they no longer want in the field, D* seems to keep older technology in use and in their warehouses for longer periods of time.
Many times I have read on her where the response from D* techs who for example show up at a new connect or upgrade with a HR34 when the customer specifically requested a 44 is "that's what we have in our warehouse"

Well remember DIRECTV will be using transponder bonding for the live 4K channels meaning it will use two tuners to be able to watch one live 4K Channel. For that reason it would be good to have more tuners.
I would like a realistic answer....In your opinion, in say 5 years what percentage of TV households will have a minimum of one 4k tv?...

I would say around 40% in 5 years. (and that may be low)

Was in Target tonight and they had a 50 inch Vizio 4K set for $739. Many set makers are stopping production and soon will only be selling 4K sets.

I would like a realistic answer....In your opinion, in say 5 years what percentage of TV households will have a minimum of one 4k tv?...
I'm gonna guess 30% .... reason being, alot of TV sets have to go bad for people to go out and just buy a new TV if they don't NEED too.
Guess what I'm saying is, TV's generally are bought when others die, I don't see a number of dead sets much larger in that time frame.
Unless all these cheap sets people are buying in the last 2-3 years are to be considered "Throw away sets" and do die that quickly, I certainly Hope thats not the case.

Is transponder bonding really necessary? They put 6 HD on one transponder now, you mean you couldn't put 2 4k in that same amount of space? I'm saying 2 4k in the space of 6hd which I thought with HEVC it would even be closer (3 or 4 4k in the space of 6 HD).

What's a tp worth these days anyway? 40 - 50 Mbps?
The problem is HEVC is not implemented for satellite (DVB-S MPEG) in other than experiments and demos, and only commercial carriers for now. It aint ready for prime time yet, and I am unaware of ANY chip for ANY consumer DVR that is designed for the HEVC spec because they aint through messing with it yet, and it, HEVC, is very demanding on processing and the DVR's still have to do all the other magic features, as well, and this brings a COST issue to both DBS providers.

However, the day is approaching when DBS will be able to use a single transponder using HEVC and the expensive new hardware required to decode the stream. This may be why Dish will be using the CLIENT for 4K, the Joey, and not the Hopper, capable of handling 4K during the bonding years.

Yes, transponder bonding has proven very successful in experiments and demos and is going to be the ONLY way satellite can transmit and receive 4K for the time being. I believe single transponder using HEVC is still in experiments and demos at commercial providers. They have to get everything right, and then design and manufacture the chip for consumer satellite devices and do and the economics must make sense for DBS providers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Stephen Henson
Nice find! See that's what I like about this site. Good open discussion. You post this anywhere else and the thread would be closed, no questions asked.

What happens to a lot of folks like me who only have a SWM-8? I guess there will be some upgrades in that respect.

Whats that big black part on the top right of the board in the one pic? Is that the access card slot?

Instead of this whole transponder mess... why not go with FBC (Full band capture) tuning. Pull in the entire spectrum. Your seeing these chipsets in newer 16+ channel cable modems. Maybe put the FBC chipset in the LNB and just send the receivers what they ask for over DECA. Sort of like an in home "Switched Digital Video" system. Then maybe the whole concept of "tuners" is a moot point and instead your looking at DECA bandwidth in the home as the limiting factor of how many clients / recordings can occur at once.

I get what you are saying. Well, I aint no expert, but I'll give you what I think in my IMHO are impediments that make it, most likely too expensive:

Not all transponders, even on the same satellite, are using the same modulation scheme, encoding, and in the case of DirecTV, don't even use the same platforms.

I just don't think there is any economical way for DBS to implement what you are suggesting. It would require a very expensive chip-set for DBS's needs. While the LNBF tech may be there, the management at the set-to-box really isn't, and the DBS box chip also has to handle all the stuff that that your PC does in decoding and processing and properly sending it out to your display, and still provide all the advanced Genie or Hopper features like trans-coding so you can copy your shows to your mobile device and all other DVR features. So, it would have to be something of an ISP modem AND the proper power of a PC in one.

In the internet modem model, the modem just needs to be a modem, so it is cheaper to make such modems because the consumer will have their own relatively expensive PC/mobile device to do all the other hard work of decoding, processing, and displaying it. The DBS box would have to be both devices in one to a much higher degree than today for your suggestion to work. Making such a huge financial commitment to such a technology means spending less on subsidies for installs and "Free" equipment, less money for satellites, less money for new tech like 4K, less money in programming. Both DBS companies have among the smartest CEO's and engineers. I have complete confidence they have consider all sorts of new schemes like yours, but after running the numbers on the spreadsheet, it probably just did not make any economic sense, and most often that is the reason we some pretty strange, stupid stuff at both DBS providers that makes no sense to us: because it's CHEAPER for them that way.

But, in time, it would be interesting to see how DBS achieves greater efficiency, if they are still in business as they are today.

What do you think cable's answer to 4k will be (technology wise)? IP over bonded DOCSIS streams? OFDM over DOCSIS 3.1? Bonded QAM? HEVC has to play some part in efficiency cable, DBS and IPTV or it's just going to be too much of a bandwidth hog. Bandwidth is also expensive because it's a finite resource that we can never seem to have enough of (like oil).

don't bother, it works but only on WiFI on iOS
Just to swing back to the genie go questions... I can now confirm that using Android on LTE cellular you can schedule a recording using the base directv app, then use genie go to start streaming the program. It took between 2 and 5 minutes for it to become available on the geniego app but I wasn't really counting. Just kept refreshing. So it does work on android.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have heard you cant upgrade genie to genie.
Does this include Hr34 to H44?
Yes. Regardless of the model number, Directv considers the HR34 and HR44 as equals. They will probably do the same for the H44 and HR54 models.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)