New Directv HR54 and H44 models

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not a big fan of clients - after my experience with the C31 I bought an H24 and haven't looked back.

I do find it very odd that the C61 will be out soon with 4K capability (for those 4K TVs that aren't RVU ready), well before any of the actual receivers have 4K capability.
Makes you wonder if the Genies DO have 4k capabilities already that just haven't been turned on yet ?
Software update ?

There was a tech bulletin this week that touched on the new H44 and external hard drives:

• ·H44 Genie Lite -- H44 Genie Lite is a 5 tuner, 3 video stream output wireless Internet receiver with a built in power inserter. NOTE: It has NO hard drive which means no DVR capability unless the customer chooses to add an external hard drive from DirecTV.

• ·External DirecTV hard drives -- This equipment is drop-shipped to customers and requires DVR services to be added. Once upgraded with DVR capability, the functionality is the same as with an HR44. These hard drives will be used in place of HD receiver orders.

• ·New 4K capable client -- The C61K Client is a 4K capable client due to launch later this year to enable 4K TVs that are not DirecTV ready to view 4K content!
It amazes me that they managed to release a way to recvr 4K, but made it ONLY available to those with the RVU TV's, that makes it a rather narrow amount of people to be originally involved.

The H44, with 5 tuners is USLESS, whats the point if you don't have an EHD ?
5 tuners does nothing without the HD, you can't watch 5 different channels without ...

These EHD's shipped by D*, are they the ONLY hard drives that will work or will you be able to buy them like we currently do as well ?

Your currently not allowed to have more than 1 Genie on the account, if/when they add the H44, will you have the ability to have more ?

Somewhere it was mentioned about having to activate the H44 for a DVR, if you already have the DVR fee on your account, is this necessary ?

the RVU technology was already in place when they decided they could do 4K, and RVU was the fastest/easiest way for them to do it. they didnt have to worry about HDMI 2.0 compliance, and with the RVU program they could guarantee HDCP compliance, ensuring 4k.

as for the H44, i agree. you're essentially trading a 21v PI for an external HDD. and even with the SWiM 13's i wouldn't hedge your bets on having more then one genie, as its $60/tuner vs $100/tuner on a genie vs HR. not an exact profit calculator, but 95% of the software is the same anyway.

The H44, with 5 tuners is USLESS, whats the point if you don't have an EHD ?
5 tuners does nothing without the HD, you can't watch 5 different channels without ...

Already discussed on the last 2 pages back in multiple posts...

I don't understand why it's SO hard for some people to comprehend this...D* is simply now making it so that ALL customers - including NON-DVR subs (yes, they very much DO still exist!) - can use a "server"/"thin-client" setup; I'm SURE the thin-clients cost less than a full (H25) receiver does. And as others have already pointed out, now when those same subs decide TO get DVR service, they send out a hard drive, client just plugs it in & PRESTO, they now have instant whole-house DVR service, w/out having to swap ANY boxes &/or tech visits! And it also means a simplified receiver line-up, as already stated.

Another small benefit...the non-DVR subs can (also) now use the wireless thin-client receivers, for those installations where it's too difficult to run coax.

While I'm NOT a big fan myself of having an external HDD laying around, (& really NO fan of thin clients at all!) it's actually pretty smart from a D* business perspective...& we all know it's ALL about the $$$ for D*.

Last edited:
If someone does not like the hardware DirecTV wants to give them, a person is free to shop around and get the hardware they want, but it may cost more upfront. After that, monthly it is all the same.

In DirecTV’s mind, any TV hooked up will cost a customer $6/month. If someone does not like that, other providers may have better prices. That TV can be hooked up with a genie client that may or may not be available depending on the total number of genie clients. That TV may be a RVU. It may be directly on a genie. It may be on a DVR. It may be on a receiver. It really doesn’t matter how it is hooked up, it is all the same cost per month. (Given it is all the same cost per month, in my opinion, H25’s are a better value than genie clients because the genie could record 5 things while I watch something live on a H25).

4k is a mess. I think the RVU setup is a hack to get DirecTV 4k content onto displays. Until something is set in stone for HDMI, HDCP, and any other details for getting 4k content from point a to point b, none of the pay tv providers want to sink much money into large scale 4k end user hardware. The RVUs are nice because all the nasty got-chya’s of high quality digital content being stealable are avoided so the content providers are placated.

The bottom line is:
If you don’t like server + thin client + external hard drive model you are free to buy HR44’s and H25’s on your own money and activate them to your account.
DirecTV is doing what they think will fill the needs of new customers.

(When I got DirecTV, I ordered 3 receivers. I wanted a DVR, but I did not want mini clients. Then after the install was done, I ordered a genie. I got charged $99 for the genie. I sent one of the receivers back. I think I accomplished my new install goal of a HR44 and 2xH25 the cheapest way possible. If the original install had been a genie and 2 clients, I would have had to pay solid signal 2x$99 for 2 H25’s and send back 2 clients. I have a kid who watches Disney. There are times when the Genie is recording 5 mom/dad shows when the kid is watching Disney, so the genie client model would not have worked in my house.)

Reactions: Stephen Henson
Until they are released publicly, it's speculation as to how they compare.

It's screwed up because they charge the dealer $30 if we don't activate clients, however then they back charge $99 when we do activate then for an existing account.
Ok...
Let me get this straight....If you sell and connect as genie to a customer who does not care to have at least one client, you LOSE $30?
And.....If a customer who already has a Genie and wants to add a client, you get back charged $99?

I just hope the HR54 has 8 or more tuners in it.

But then again, if the H44 can be used with an existing HR44 and give you 10 tuners and a shared TODO list, I'd be happy with that.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Ok...
Let me get this straight....If you sell and connect as genie to a customer who does not care to have at least one client, you LOSE $30?
And.....If a customer who already has a Genie and wants to add a client, you get back charged $99?

It's called a hardware buy down credit.

We get the clients for free from Directv, we have 120 days to activate the equipment on a new account.

If we activate the client within 120 days for a new first time customer all is good.

If we don't activate the client within 120 days, we get back charged $30 per client by Directv.

If we activate the client for an existing customer, Directv then back charges us $99

?
Wonder why they can't do that, the WH interacts with the Genie and most other recvrs.
WH is not the same as the to do list.

The to do list is the scheduler which currently does not share. If i set law and order svu to record on my genie, when I go to any of my hr24s it will not show that svu is a series that records. Unless I set it to record in both locations. Which would show double listings in the unified list. Your hard drive would then jump to 99% full since svu is on almost every hour of every day... but the season manager does not share

WH is not the same as the to do list.

The to do list is the scheduler which currently does not share. If i set law and order svu to record on my genie, when I go to any of my hr24s it will not show that svu is a series that records. Unless I set it to record in both locations. Which would show double listings in the unified list. Your hard drive would then jump to 99% full since svu is on almost every hour of every day... but the season manager does not share
Gotcha, I thought you might have been meaning the Play List originally.
Once I re read his post I understood what you were saying.

So could we speculate the HR54 is 4k with a larger hard drive (2TB maybe)? After all, recording all that 4k content is going to take up more space.

So could we speculate the HR54 is 4k with a larger hard drive (2TB maybe)? After all, recording all that 4k content is going to take up more space.
Don't know, what kind of encryption are they using for the 4K ?
When we went from Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 it used less space, are they not running 4K on something new ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)