Please reply by conversation.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
NW Ohio - Buckeye Country
Some notes on the H44 Genie Lite shared with us from some tech training:

H44 cannot be installed in a home with a Genie or Genie Lite (maintaining the one-Genie rule).
The internal power inserter is a PI-21, and will power a SWiM LNB. An external swim 8 or 16 will still require a separate PI-29.
A home that has a PI-21 and is upgraded to a Genie Lite, the tech is asked to remove the PI from service.
Interestingly, if a tech visit finds the PI in a H44 failing (during troubleshooting), they area advised to add a PI-21 back to service (not just replace the receiver so to speak).
An install that has a PI-21 and the H44 both in place will not cause damage to any of the DirecTV components.
Techs do not install, service, or replace external hard drives. They are customer owned and sold/drop-shipped by Directv only.

Unlike the Genie HD DVR, the H44 contains an internal SWiM Power Inserter and does not require use of an external SWiM Power Inserter (PI21) when the H44 is the only IRD in the home. The H44 also features a minimalized front panel that does not contain controls other than the Power button. Like the HR44, it utilizes an external power supply (EPS44) and incorporates an internal WiFi DECA (CCK-W).

So not much new info, but some solidifying info in areas. Definitely reaffirms the one Genie rule (Genie or Genie Lite).
Am I reading this right ?
Your saying the H44 has it's own PI on board (which would run the whole system), then if you have issues with a H44 and needs to be removed, the rest of the set up is down until a replacement is available ? Wouldn't adding a PI back intom the system and out be a nusince depending on the units involved ... I was hoping a H44 might work for me, but I'm not giving up my current 44, I would want to add to it ... in my case, adding it to the RV set up would be ideal, but they probably wouldn't allow that seeing it would mean I have more than one on the account, even though it would not be on the same system.

Drucifer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 22, 2005
NY Hudson Valley
Am I reading this right ?
Your saying the H44 has it's own PI on board (which would run the whole system), then if you have issues with a H44 and needs to be removed, the rest of the set up is down until a replacement is available ? Wouldn't adding a PI back intom the system and out be a nusince depending on the units involved ... I was hoping a H44 might work for me, but I'm not giving up my current 44, I would want to add to it ... in my case, adding it to the RV set up would be ideal, but they probably wouldn't allow that seeing it would mean I have more than one on the account, even though it would not be on the same system.
This really is putting all your eggs in one baskets.

Until DirecTV allows multi-Genie setups, I would the future of the Genie platform is not bright as it is too limiing.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
This really is putting all your eggs in one baskets.

Until DirecTV allows multi-Genie setups, I would the future of the Genie platform is not bright as it is too limiing.
So they send you a power inserter, or you wisely keep one on hand.

texasbrit

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Cutting Edge
Apr 12, 2006
Why is this significantly different from the PI failing? You still lose the system..

TheRatPatrol

SatelliteGuys Pro
Nov 1, 2004
It didn't take 2 minutes to load, it didn't have upcoming games, current games and all the other garbage it does now.
I suppose it's more advanced now because it covers more sports I think and things that hardly no one looks at.
Have you looked at it lately? They've actually updated it.

H44 cannot be installed in a home with a Genie or Genie Lite (maintaining the one-Genie rule)
Well thats lame, whats the point then? D* really needs to fix this to keep up with Dish and TiVo, they both allow multiple units.

stvcmty

SatelliteGuys Family
Pub Member / Supporter
Mar 29, 2013
Baldwin MD
The H44 also features a minimalized front panel that does not contain controls other than the Power button. Like the HR44, it utilizes an external power supply (EPS44) and incorporates an internal WiFi DECA (CCK-W).

Will an H44 work with an AM21 and let the clients use the OTA tuners?

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Is a H44 part of a Genie, as in, can it work independently, or does it need a Genie (34/44 ect) to operate like the clients ?
Of course it needs a SWM set up regardless.

raoul5788

Studebaker driver
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 28, 2004
Cheshire CT
Is a H44 part of a Genie, as in, can it work independently, or does it need a Genie (34/44 ect) to operate like the clients ?
It's like a Genie, but with no hard drive. It's basically a 5 tuner receiver.

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia
It's called a hardware buy down credit.

We get the clients for free from Directv, we have 120 days to activate the equipment on a new account.

If we activate the client within 120 days for a new first time customer all is good.

If we don't activate the client within 120 days, we get back charged $30 per client by Directv.

If we activate the client for an existing customer, Directv then back charges us $99
Ahh ok...Now I understand. I worked for three different outfits that also solf DTV...In each case, the retail receivers had to be activated within a certain number of days of receipt of receiver. I think it was 90. Not sure...Anyway. if the receivers were not activated within that time( extremely rare) the retailer would be charged some sort of fee.

Reactions: Stephen Henson

dishcomm

SatelliteGuys Master
Nov 29, 2005
suburbia
Probably the Scoreguide, weather, social tv, what's hot, pandora, etc. apps.
Looks like clutter to me....
Like my cell phone , I wish there were a way to shut down the apps I never use.
QWhy should customers get stuck with a condition for which they have no use..
For example. I never use any of the "red Dish button apps" on my receiver. If shutting those down would help my receiver run faster, fine....Let me shut them down

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan

Like Raoul said it is the genie without the hard drive.

This gives Directv the ability to use clients on non-dvr setups. For example, a home with two tv's that don't want recording, boom - H44 and a client. Upgrade ready - add more clients or add a hard drive for DVR up the road if desired.

Suffice to say, the people reading this forum are pretty unlikely to order a H44. The market as a whole, however, there are still many households that have no DVR, and may have no interest in it.

Jimbo

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Cutting Edge
Jul 14, 2005
Like Raoul said it is the genie without the hard drive.

This gives Directv the ability to use clients on non-dvr setups. For example, a home with two tv's that don't want recording, boom - H44 and a client. Upgrade ready - add more clients or add a hard drive for DVR up the road if desired.

Suffice to say, the people reading this forum are pretty unlikely to order a H44. The market as a whole, however, there are still many households that have no DVR, and may have no interest in it.
I gotcha now ...

Its clearly a + for D* doing it this way.

jcrandall

Proud Staff Member
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Apr 3, 2005
Central Michigan
Yes, the H44 will be marketed as a Genie Lite, upgradeable to a full Genie by adding an external hard drive (which may be a Directv branded/marketed drive only, or any external HDD, we are unsure of that as of yet).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts