NEW Directv INSTALLATION w/ used Receivers?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mcdtec

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2010
PA
I am a new Directv customer and purchased 5 receivers and was disappointed to receive a hodge podge of receivers. Two nice H24-100, one OK H23-600
and two reconditioned H20-600 that were built in Jan 07. One H20-600 is hot to touch even when off, scratched-up and occasionally pixelates. I called
and was told HD receivers are in short supply and Directv couldn't give me new units. I received another old replacement unit H20-100C, What a disappointment. The newer units are more efficient, run cooler, perform better and require less than half the power.

Should I return the old H20 units and buy newer receivers on craigslist or Ebay?

I have thought about cancelling my whole Directv package.:mad:

I am a new Directv customer and purchased 5 receivers and was disappointed to receive a hodge podge of receivers. Two nice H24-100, one OK H23-600
and two reconditioned H20-600 that were built in Jan 07. One H20-600 is hot to touch even when off, scratched-up and occasionally pixelates. I called
and was told HD receivers are in short supply and Directv couldn't give me new units. I received another old replacement unit H20-100C, What a disappointment. The newer units are more efficient, run cooler, perform better and require less than half the power.

Should I return the old H20 units and buy newer receivers on craigslist or Ebay?

I have thought about cancelling my whole Directv package.:mad:

Make sure they replace the H20-600, it's been recalled due to HEAT issues.

IF you want H/HR24's you'll have to get them from a online vendor .... I would discuss this with D* first and see if they will credit you seeing your looking at 3 of them.
They may, they may not.

Solidsignal.com has them in stock, buying online is the only way to guarantee what model you'll get.

They are $ 99 ...

DIRECTV H24 High Definition MPEG-4 Enabled Receiver 3D Ready (H-24) - DIRECTV - H24 -

I can tell you right now for a brand new account Jimbo we wont there no policy to back that up . Jimbo different is that you my friend our a long standing excellent customer and your loyalty allows use to make the type of considerations you mentioned.

I can tell you right now for a brand new account Jimbo we wont there no policy to back that up . Jimbo different is that you my friend our a long standing excellent customer and your loyalty allows use to make the type of considerations you mentioned.

So because he's new and has a plan they are offering him they won't give him any further concessions at this point.

That makes sense.

As a new customer I wasn't told I would get 3 year old used equipment and be charged NEW equipment price. We specifically asked if we were getting Directv's newest equipment and were told we were. I would have much rather purchased new equipment from Solidsignal.com than 3 year old used from Directv.

Last edited:
I am a new Directv customer and purchased 5 receivers ...
Did you buy (5) receivers or sign up and D* supplied (lease) you these receivers ? There's a difference. If you bought them, and they advertised them as "new", there's an issue.

How much did you pay D* for each of them ?

Did you buy (5) receivers or sign up and D* supplied (lease) you these receivers ? There's a difference. If you bought them, and they advertised them as "new", there's an issue.

How much did you pay D* for each of them ?

I'm sure he didn't BUY them ......

SC,
IF he wanted to , he could lease the 3 recvrs from SS and return the 3 back to D* if he wanted to, of course it would activate a new commitment, but seeing he's new, it's not a big deal.
Of course he would have to pay full price for the ones from SS.

Does that sound like something reasonable or are there stipulations about that.

If he ordered 3 from SS or anwaywhere else he could deactivate the 3 he has no problems.

But I find it funny as no one buys receivers they pay for the up front leasing cost. they are still the property of Directv

You want to buy a reciever buy an HR21pro for 499 and we can talk about if it was used or not .

If he ordered 3 from SS or anwaywhere else he could deactivate the 3 he has no problems.

But I find it funny as no one buys receivers they pay for the up front leasing cost. they are still the property of Directv

You want to buy a reciever buy an HR21pro for 499 and we can talk about if it was used or not .

Yes, it's always a sticking point to make sure that 99 % of the time people are "Leasing" when you get one from anywhere.... Every once in a while some one will BUY one.

In this day and age with technology changing so quickly, I prefer to lease.

In the beginning I was against it, as I had always owned my equipment, but since they went to the "Lease" system, I find it much easier to deal with.

I thought I understood the lease thing, maybe not . I paid over $ 400 for the extra receivers from D* plus the $5 ea per month. Why wouldn't I be better to order H24s from SS for $ 99ea for new units with all the new features & capability than $99ea from D* for 3 yr old H20s?

If I order a 2010 car (leased) I don't expect to pickup a 2007 with problems.
If I buy a cell phone for $99, I get a new model X phone and a 2 yr contract.

Thanks for helping me understand

I thought I understood the lease thing, maybe not . I paid over $ 400 for the extra receivers from D* plus the $5 ea per month. Why wouldn't I be better to order H24s from SS for $ 99ea for new units with all the new features & capability than $99ea from D* for 3 yr old H20s?

If I order a 2010 car (leased) I don't expect to pickup a 2007 with problems.
If I buy a cell phone for $99, I get a new model X phone and a 2 yr contract.

Thanks for helping me understand

Only difference is if you order thru SS or who ever, you may not be eligible for whatever deals D* is offering.

IF I found out that I was getting old equipment, I would either do what I mentioned earlier or lease directly from SS or where ever.

I always say Get what you can get for free and then got to solid signal for the stuff you pay for.

Like I have 6 tvs I would take the HDDVR and the HD box for free and instead of buying 4 other hd boxes from DTV I buy them form SS then I know what I am getting .

Thanks Stonecold & Jimbo.
Do you think I should ask D* to return the H20s and tell them I am buying the H24s for the same price? I specifically asked and was told I would receive the latest equipment and not an old discontinued models.

Is there something else I need to understand before I call D* ?

Thanks Stonecold & Jimbo.
Do you think I should ask D* to return the H20s and tell them I am buying the H24s for the same price? I specifically asked and was told I would receive the latest equipment and not an old discontinued models.

Is there something else I need to understand before I call D* ?

Not really. Follow their advice and at least you will have up-to-date equipment.

I havent been a DTV customer very long, and I love it, but by God a new customer should start out with new equipment. After that, I can live with DTV's policy. If I had not gotten new equipment at my install, I would have refused and stayed with cable!!

Just my opinion...for what its worth.

I have been thinking of switching from Dish myself. I have Three TVs but the third will be a mirror. I want the new MVR set up with two DVRs. I assume I will get two HR24's (yes I realize there is a upgrade fee). Are they going to give me some old junk, or would I get the HR24's with the way I want my system set up?

I have been thinking of switching from Dish myself. I have Three TVs but the third will be a mirror. I want the new MVR set up with two DVRs. I assume I will get two HR24's (yes I realize there is a upgrade fee). Are they going to give me some old junk, or would I get the HR24's with the way I want my system set up?

If you tell them upfront that you want the MRV I think that gives you newer stuff.

I just had my install on Tuesday, and both my DVR's were HR24's, and the HD receivers were H24's. I ordered MVR service, and everything works fantastic. I am very pleased with my switch from E*.

I was told by D* they cannot guarantee which model receiver they will send and HD receivers are in such demand and once you activate a receiver it cannot be returned or exchanged for any refund. Unfortunately I paid $300 for 3 discontinued old receivers and then found they were not returnable. I should have purchased my 3 receivers from solid signal, 3 new H24s for $300. Either way the receivers are owned by D*. Not a very nice way to start out as a D* customer.:( only 23 months,15 days to go.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)