New DirecTV Streaming Box

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I'm seriously starting to think it might be entirely possible that Directv might exit the satellite hardware business, which could leave Dish in a very nice specialty niche. Dish can focus on being a rural TV provider without any satellite competition.

I hope they do. I've seen the "new" AT&T make many stupid moves, and this could be a whopper.

There is an inherent efficiency in delivering a single channel to cover hundreds of millions, over delivering a single channel a million times to a million customers. Internet costs and caps will be with us for many, many years. Those costs are to double, by some reports.

I can subscribe to Dish, or to CBS, X, Y and Z and flip around constantly. That side hasn't settled down yet. Dish Sling and DTV OTT approaches are better.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
The existence of this box suggests some important things:

1. DECA is dead going forward. Even an updated DECA wasn't enough to get them where they wanted to go with a client-server scheme.
2. The new platform probably won't be compatible with any of the existing DIRECTV or Uverse equipment, hence the "Bird of Prey" naming motif.
3. Genie users should be looking for a C62(K) as the next step rather than a C71.

I expect that rather than a true OTT device, it will be primarily a client. This is surely the easiest way that both DIRECTV and Uverse can deliver UHD content absent linear UHD channels. I'd expect this box to be something that is somewhat special to AT&T customers as opposed to a general purpose streamer for anyone and everyone.

A note to those who will disagree with my observations: make sure you've skimmed the manual and looked at the FCC filing's pictures and key documents. They tell a relatively clear story about what the Osprey is and isn't and there's a lot more material there than DIRECTV used to provide.

Reactions: comfortably_numb

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)