New Dish Free but not Multiswitch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greybeard

Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have a leased H20, a Sony Tivo, and am getting a leased HR20 to replace the 10-250 which I own. Directv is giving me the 5lnb dish and installation for free but said I would have to buy the multiswitch. Does that make any sense? The installation will not work without the multiswitch. If I lose this battle, what do the techs charge for a multiswitch? I can get a Zinwell 6x8 for $51.75 at Solid Signal which includes shipping. Thanks for any info.

No. The upgrade to the Zinwell 6x8 is also included free for any installation that requires it.

If you ever add enough receivers to need more than 4 lines they will install it for free. Right now you only need 2.

But for some versions of the at9/au9 the built in switch in the lnb REQUIRES that switch for some reason.

Either way, most HSP's are putting them in anyways. Depends on local policy and the tech u get.

But for some versions of the at9/au9 the built in switch in the lnb REQUIRES that switch for some reason.

Either way, most HSP's are putting them in anyways. Depends on local policy and the tech u get.

The first production run (which was somewhat limited) of the AU-9 Slimline had a problem which required a multiswitch and they were supplied. Subsequent Slimlines do not have this problem and Directv will only supply a multiswitch if you have more than 4 tuners. If the HSP supplies it anyway no problem, but you shouldn't have to pay for it.

The first production run (which was somewhat limited) of the AU-9 Slimline had a problem which required a multiswitch and they were supplied. Subsequent Slimlines do not have this problem and Directv will only supply a multiswitch if you have more than 4 tuners. If the HSP supplies it anyway no problem, but you shouldn't have to pay for it.

I'm not so sure about that. Last May I had the Slimline and an HR20 upgrade. I had three lines existing and the order was to add one line for a total of four. The order the tech had included a Zinwell. Last Month when I retired a Tivo for another HR20, the tech had a Zinwell on his order even though I wasn't adding any lines. Just replacing an SD DirecTivo with an HR 20.

I'm not so sure about that. Last May I had the Slimline and an HR20 upgrade. I had three lines existing and the order was to add one line for a total of four. The order the tech had included a Zinwell. Last Month when I retired a Tivo for another HR20, the tech had a Zinwell on his order even though I wasn't adding any lines. Just replacing an SD DirecTivo with an HR 20.

That's because the multiswitch is often listed as an optional item on the work order because D* seems to have no clue how many lines you are using.

I am thinking of adding a second hr20 soon and have 5 dvr's Right now the HR10 still feeds off the 3 lnb dish. The 6x8 will not be large enough for 5 recievers with 2 being HR20's. Do they switch out the 6x8 for the larger one for free or is there a charge ?
Thx

I am thinking of adding a second hr20 soon and have 5 dvr's Right now the HR10 still feeds off the 3 lnb dish. The 6x8 will not be large enough for 5 recievers with 2 being HR20's. Do they switch out the 6x8 for the larger one for free or is there a charge ?
Thx

If they have them, they will use 6x16's. If not, they should be able to put a second 6x8 in by splitting the 4 cables coming from the dish to the inputs on the MS.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)