New dish installation question

hryser

Original poster
Feb 28, 2012
Colorado
I am a newby in this field, so please forgive me if I ask you very simplistic questions. I am in the midst of building a new house and just finished the entire house wiring. My plan is it to install a satellite dish which should tie into four receivers to allow independent high definition TV viewing in four different rooms. The house is in Southern Colorado with unobstructed line of sight to the satellites and the 300+ sunny days should also be good for satellite reception. Also, I have already pulled two quad RG6 cables from the spot where the dish will be to the home automation panel.
May I kindly ask the following questions:
  1. What type/brand of satellite dish would you recommend?
  2. What type/brand of receivers would you recommend?
  3. What other devices do I need to make this satellite network operable?
  4. Does it make sense to source and install all the components myself, as opposed to entering into a contract with Dish-Network or Direct TV?
  5. Or is there another provider?
  6. If I would source and install all the components myself, with whom would I best enter into a “satellite-receiver-agreement”?
Thank you in advance for your reply,
Hans

I have been in the datacomm business for about 9 years now residential, and commercial, and I have a couple of years experience installing both dish network and directv. I would recommend running at least 2 more rg6 cables to your dish location, along with a ground wire(unless the dish is near the ground location). I would also recommend at least 2 coaxials and 2 cat5e at least at the main tv locations. As far as providers go, I am partial to dish network because of, overall performance and stability of the equipment, the technology, namely, the new hopper/Joey system is pretty cool. Directv has it's pros too, their SWM technology only requires one cable from the dish to a splitter where it is distributed. I havent had a chance to install the hr34, dtv's latest hd dvr, but it has 5 tuners in it. As far as programming and value go, they are comparable.

I can get neither Dish nor DirecTv here because 1) No landline telephone, and 2) No constant AC power (ie. PUD does not come this far up the cowpath.) So, we have Free to Air television. The FTA forum on this website will give you a lot of information. Our monthly bill has been ZERO for 6 years, so far. I own all my own equipment -- and I have to install and maintain it myself. Basically, I run two RG-6 cables to each dish, and can have many receivers viewing any dish. (Four buildings with 9 rooms, two motor-homes and three fence posts (extra RV sites). Just one cable from each receiver to the comm wall. Internet is by microwave link - WiFi on an 'N' router covers more than our 20 acres. Telephone service by VOIP.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts