New dish mover recommendations

Status
Please reply by conversation.

boomer_106

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 17, 2005
Guys, my second Uniden Supra looks like it's motor outputs have died. I'd love to find another as I have used this receiver for so long, I can run it blindfolded. That might be hard though. There is one on ebay but, all it says it that it powers up. My other two Supras power up. That does not mean the motor will output voltage. Trust me on that. There are different power supplies for that. My equipment is in my sig line so you know what would work best. I want UHF/RF remote and I need servo control.

If you could tell me why you would go in such a way, that would be great. Pros and cons to everything.

Anyone with a Supra for sale?

I would wait a few days and order a Titanium ASC-1. http://titaniumsatellite.com/products#!/~/product/category=6743545&id=28731561
You may find it cheaper from resellers once they get stock.

Wow, I must say, that does look pretty cool. I didn't see anything saying you could see the lcd window on your tv screen. What happens when you want to move to a satellite you have no channels stored on? Do you have to get down and look at that tiny little screen? Also, what happens if you have multiple DVB receivers hooked up? You just pick one box to control movement then operate your other boxes accordingly I take it?

The ASC1 LCD is a scrolling backlit 4 line screen on the front of the unit that allows a user to verify position/skew or to see all functions if used as a stand alone.

No, the ASC1 cannot display a menu on your TV. Not sure if that feature would be used much as it would require switching the TV to another input and this inclusion would increase the price. I suppose one could develop another version that would allow the user to loop video through the controller to overlay a controller screen so the menus could be displayed on a monitor, but what connector, resolution, scan rate? :eek:

The ASC1 can be used as a standalone device or any connected STB can control using standard DiSEqC 1.2 commands. To move the dish to a new position in the automatic mode, use your DVBS or S2 receiver. Activate the satellite, turn-on DiSEqC 1.2, drive east or west until desired satellite is found. Select the motor position number in the receiver that you wish to save then press save on the receiver. You do not need to use the ASC1 remote or front panel to save, select or move a satellite.

If you need to adjust or save a polarity skew offset for a specific satellite, the ASC1 front panel or the ASC1 remote would be used. Most receivers do not have skew control, so this function is not provided in the receiver's install menus. Each time you call out this satellite, the skew offset (independent for each polarity) will be automatically set.

Many STBs can be simultaneously connected to the ASC1 to control the dish positioning and polarity/skew control. Just make sure that each STB uses the same DiSEqC 1.2 motor position number for the same satellite. Example: If 58w is saved to position 5 on one receiver, other STBs should also have 58w assigned to DiSEqC 1.2 motor position # 5.

In a upcoming firmware update, we will be adding an additional 20 DiSEqC 1.0 and 1.1 positions for receivers that do not support DiSEqC 1.2 motor protocol. Advanced hobbyist could use these additional settings to provide complicated switch paths using repeating and non-committed switches! :D

Resolution wouldn't be critical to see that stuff. I suppose a regular coax connection would do fine. I'm just thinking if you need to look at that screen, people aren't going to want to have to keep getting close to it. It looks pretty small.

Quite an expensive hardware modification for what I view as a limited user base. Will put it on a wish list. While some may use the ASC1 as a stand alone controller, my guess is that most will use as a translation device and the LCD will just be used as confirmation. Just what we need is another "Dish Moving" prompt on the TV screen... LOL!!! :D

Maybe a hobbyist would be interested in taking the ASC1's LCD PCB data and creating a third party kit to insert inline for mapping the characters and outputting video. The LCD PCB is connected to the main board by ribbon cable and header pins. Maybe an Ardurino project? As it was pointed out, adequate space is available for project kits inside the cabinet.

I suppose a regular coax connection would do fine.
A short sited decision would quickly date the life or limit the distribution of any electronics. The ASC1 will have international distribution, so the output would need to be multi-standard. RF modulators will be useless in a few years as TVs are no longer required to include an NTSC or PAL tuner. In a few years, NTSC/PAL tuner inclusion in a TV will be like an 8-track player being a standard equipment in a Tesla. :D

If the controller were to have OSD GUI video output, it would need to be based on forward thinking and emerging technology rather than on outdated technology. Remember that the need for this device is primarily due to the current solutions becoming dated!

Last edited:
.....RF modulators will be useless in a few years as TVs are no longer required to include an NTSC or PAL tuner. In a few years, NTSC/PAL tuner inclusion in a TV will be like an 8-track player being a standard equipment in a Tesla. :D
From this statement are you saying that our OTA of local TV stations will come to and end just like they are attempting with landline phone service? That does not sound good.

Your local TV station is broadcast in North America (and a few other places) in ATSC or for the rest of the world, in DVBT/T2 or PAL. Very few low power NTSC stations left due to the STV transition.

ATSC modulators do not exist in consumer electronics. If one was to chose a modular, it would need to be selectable between QAM-ATSC and QAM-DVBT.

Last edited:
Your local TV station is broadcast in North America (and a few other places) in ATSC or for the rest of the world, in DVBT/T2 or PAL. Very few low power NTSC stations left due to the STV transition.

ATSC modulators do not exist in consumer electronics. If one was to chose a modular, it would need to be selectable between QAM-ATSC and QAM-DVBT.
Ah, brain dead moment. I know what they put out is digital now. Duhaaaaaaa......
Yes, if I plug an antenna into my TV I get nothing now. Blame old age.....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)