New Dish Prices, effective Jan 16

Don’t be so sure.

It is far more efficient to beam a few hundred channels to a few million homes than to have a few million unique streams.

Isn’t Direct already trying to steer new customers from satellite though? I’m not sure what it costs to maintain a fleet of satellites. Is that cheaper than maintaining a streaming service?

Isn’t Direct already trying to steer new customers from satellite though? I’m not sure what it costs to maintain a fleet of satellites. Is that cheaper than maintaining a streaming service?
No way , they make a lot more money on Satellite TV than on over the top Internet service. Same as with SlingTV which starts at $20 a month and can be cancelled with a mouseclick. Plus the cost of entry on over the top is very low. There are at least 5 competitors already, including Sony PlayStation, Youtube, Hulu, Verizon, even Comcast is going that route.

The strategy of Dish is to make more and more money from less and less customers.

Or to attempt to offer a service to anyone through any platform they can. Sure helps with those fixed costs. It’s less expensive(generally) to have 100 under performing people that meet dead bottom, than to have the same fixed costs and only 10 customers because you didn’t want to adapt. It is a way for Dish to corner another side of the market and I bet it will be used to help market whatever cell service Dish launches

Or to attempt to offer a service to anyone through any platform they can. Sure helps with those fixed costs. It’s less expensive(generally) to have 100 under performing people that meet dead bottom, than to have the same fixed costs and only 10 customers because you didn’t want to adapt. It is a way for Dish to corner another side of the market and I bet it will be used to help market whatever cell service Dish launches

I’m still leery of this Dish cellular thing. Starting from zero and building out a network that doesn’t exist in a market already over saturated with carriers doesn’t make any sense to me, unless Charlie knows something we don’t..

Reactions: MikeD-C05
I would hope that they would keep the locals the same price until the price lock ended.. but 2$ isn’t make or break. However.. the jump from 74.99 to 89.99 is what is make or break for me.

Sure it sounds crazy and probably is but that still isn’t quite the breaking point for me. It still beats D* because Dish has better customer service and IMO are much more reliable. Even though I get OTA reception where I am, it’s not as reliable as dish.

I’m still leery of this Dish cellular thing. Starting from zero and building out a network that doesn’t exist in a market already over saturated with carriers doesn’t make any sense to me, unless Charlie knows something we don’t..
I wouldn't be surprised if he does.

Free Welcome Pack with purchase of pre-paid cell service? :D

These new rates would be a $25 per month increase over what I pay now once my contract ends, which is completely unacceptable. I could go over to DirecTV Now for half of what I pay now with no contract I have to opt into and no promotional pricing.

I thought any deactivations or activations with DTV required a contract. I have not seen anyone post otherwise in the last few years.

Reactions: satjay
These new rates would be a $25 per month increase over what I pay now once my contract ends, which is completely unacceptable. I could go over to DirecTV Now for half of what I pay now with no contract I have to opt into and no promotional pricing.
I've looked at all the various 'cable like' streaming services. Yes you can save money if you want fewer channels and inconvenient UI. I'm on cable now and getting all of their channels and all the Premiums, pay $80/month which will go up $20 after the 1st year. To get all the channels I actually want with a streaming service would cost me more than that.

If Charlie were smart he’d try and acquire T-mobile then Bam he’d have a cell network he could invest into and TV. Now that The T-mobile Ceo just acquired a tv streaming service that’s not happening.

With all these increases Dish, directv, Comcast are eventually going to lose a good core of their subscribers in the next 2-3 years . Sure each year they lose subscribers and new ones come in but eventually more will leave and the new number of subscribers will be way down.

My grandpa is a prime example of a customer of AT&T who pays full price for his tv package and never bothers to call in and ask for a discount and they love him bc of that. Maybe if it wasn’t $30-40 in fees added onto the bill for DVR fee, whole home fee etc they wouldn’t be losing so many a year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts