New Dish Subscriber; Only 3 Tuners On The Hopper?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
You can always add a EHD.

Do you know that for a fact with WOW? It it's the MOXI type receiver (Perhaps called ARRIS) it probably can, and most likely has no OTA. Also if it's the MOXI type receiver I see bad reviews online about it's interface and slowness. But I have no first hand knowledge of it, in fact barely know about this receiver.

Last edited:
Do you know that for a fact with WOW? It it's the MOXI type receiver (Perhaps called ARRIS) it probably can, and most likely has no OTA. Also if it's the MOXI type receiver I see bad reviews online about it's interface and slowness. But I have no first hand knowledge of it, in fact barely know about this receiver.

I posted a link to it. Yea it says you can add a EHD. Some of you guys have to remember... not everyone archives everything. My buddy uses his DVR for fast forwarding through commercials and basic time shifting. Having that many tuners might be overboard for his family but they never have a conflict. He seems to like it better than the crappy TWC DVR. It doesn't touch my Hoppers but it does the job. That's all that matters to his family.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk 2

First, to the OP, if you want a second Hopper you should contact a DiRT member and see what they can do for you.

Second, of course everyone is different but with 2 people 1 Hopper and PTAT setup, chances are good that there will be enough tuners. I have 2 Hoppers in my house of 4 people, but with one dedicated to my kids, my wife and I share the second one. We rarely have conflicts, and when we do the Hopper resolves them.

If you decide 3 tuners does not meet your needs, contact DISH or your Retailer (which ever one you originaly used). You have 30 days from your original activation date to modify your equipment configuration. Replacing one of your Joeys with a Hopper will cost $99.

Simple solution. Dish, make the Hopper a 5 tuner DVR. "D" would be running around like a chicken with it's head cut off. A 5 tuner Hopper, count me in.
IF I needed more than three tuners (which I don't), I would rather have two Hoppers for redundancy's sake.

Get two hoppers, then you will not have to worry about needing more tuners.

Sent from my phone using SatelliteGuys

I do have to say this, it's very easy to spend other people's money. Just because a certain setup works for one person, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone else, and just saying yeah go ahead and spend more money to start and per month is not the right way to help people out.

Example. My parents have a total of 8 TV's in their house. With that said alone you would think 2-3 hoppers is what they need. If there are only 2 people in the house, and they don't DVR everything, there is really no need for 2-3 hoppers. Knowing their use case they would never need more than 3 tuners, and anything more would be a waste.

With that said, and as many others have said, it would depend on your use case. Think about how many people are in your house, how many TV's are on at a time, are they on different channels or the same channel? Now those same questions and add how many different shows would you want to record and what time do they come on? If the answer is more than 3 at the same time, then 2 hoppers might be what you need. Example, if you want to record two different shows that come on the same time, and you have two people that would want to watch 2 different shows while those recordings happen, then you might need 2 hoppers unless you can move the recording of that show to a later time in the day where they might show an encore of it a few hours later. There again, how often a week would that happen? My use case, 3 tv's (4 if you want to count the computer in kitchen that uses dishanywhere at time), and one night a week I will have 2-3 shows at the same hour that want to record, but I or my wife might be watching something else. Fortunately one of those shows comes back on at 10pm so it can be pushed off until then if necessary. If that happened more than once a week, or if the shows don't come back on at another time, then I would lean towards another hopper.

WOW Cable has a 6 tuner DVR. I have a friend that has it and it's whole home. I've checked it out when I was over his place. It's nice. He left TWC cable for WOW. The hard drive stinks. It's only 500gigs. He doesn't store much anyway. You can add a EHD to it. Here is a link. http://www.wowway.com/Our-Products/Ultra-TV/whole-home-hd-dvr

It looks nice. My brother has it but he said its so sluggish. One big drawback is if the box goes down you lose the Internet and phone as it is tied into the box .

5. At one time, there was not gonna be another box with even 5, but that may have changed since I dont keep up with Directv anymore.

Perhaps in the next generation, but since they are just now releasing the 44 in most markets, it would appear to me that 5 is their chosen number for now. I had the 44 installed a month or so ago. Coming from two hoppers, there are still things I miss, but its a good box. Both are IMO.

I do have to say this, it's very easy to spend other people's money. Just because a certain setup works for one person, that doesn't mean it will work for everyone else, and just saying yeah go ahead and spend more money to start and per month is not the right way to help people out.

Example. My parents have a total of 8 TV's in their house. With that said alone you would think 2-3 hoppers is what they need. If there are only 2 people in the house, and they don't DVR everything, there is really no need for 2-3 hoppers. Knowing their use case they would never need more than 3 tuners, and anything more would be a waste.

With that said, and as many others have said, it would depend on your use case. Think about how many people are in your house, how many TV's are on at a time, are they on different channels or the same channel? Now those same questions and add how many different shows would you want to record and what time do they come on? If the answer is more than 3 at the same time, then 2 hoppers might be what you need. Example, if you want to record two different shows that come on the same time, and you have two people that would want to watch 2 different shows while those recordings happen, then you might need 2 hoppers unless you can move the recording of that show to a later time in the day where they might show an encore of it a few hours later. There again, how often a week would that happen? My use case, 3 tv's (4 if you want to count the computer in kitchen that uses dishanywhere at time), and one night a week I will have 2-3 shows at the same hour that want to record, but I or my wife might be watching something else. Fortunately one of those shows comes back on at 10pm so it can be pushed off until then if necessary. If that happened more than once a week, or if the shows don't come back on at another time, then I would lean towards another hopper.

I know what you're saying but most of the people that are asking for advice have told us what they are looking for and everyone is giving the solution. They never said anything about what their budget was. The way the receivers are right now you can either have a setup for multiple TVs for cheap but half the TVs would have to be SD or mirrored and you wouldn't have whole home DVR, or you can have all HD with whole home DVR but it'll cost ya. You're going to have to be willing to spend the extra money for all the added benefits. For me it's well worth it.

People can't have their cake and eat it too... If they want to have more TVs and more tuners, they need to pony up.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

The thing is dish could introduce a 7 or 8 tuner box but to some that wouldn't be enough. Even though ptat only uses one tuner, couldn't they open that tuner up to all channels when that's not in use. Technically their claim of recording 6 at a time is valid because you can record all four major networks all day. It still leaves you 2 more tuners to record with. We have 2 hoppers because 3 tuners isn't enough.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)