New Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

JFOK

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 12, 2012
Cape Cod - MA.
Hi All,

My new, solid 8 foot dish arrived this afternoon, a week late, from Satellites Galore/Tek2000.
I'm a bit worried as to the condition of the panels. Even though the box is labeled in several places as fragile, the top is almost totally opened. Peering in I see broken styrofoam and a small scratch on the edge of one of the panels. I'll know more about the condition of the panels tomorrow when I inspect closer. The pole arrived totally sealed and that box is undamaged.
I'm still awaiting the third box containing the mount.

John

Hi All,

My new, solid 8 foot dish arrived this afternoon, a week late, from Satellites Galore/Tek2000.
I'm a bit worried as to the condition of the panels. Even though the box is labeled in several places as fragile, the top is almost totally opened. Peering in I see broken styrofoam and a small scratch on the edge of one of the panels. I'll know more about the condition of the panels tomorrow when I inspect closer. The pole arrived totally sealed and that box is undamaged.
I'm still awaiting the third box containing the mount.

John

You probably should have pointed out the damage to the delivery guy and taken pictures. I'd also report it to Tec2000 ASAP, but if it's damaged, you'll probably end up dealing with the delivery company, so report it to them too. The small scratch won't hurt anything, but you may want to stack the panels to see if they stack evenly and then look at each individual panel carefully.

Check for lost hardware, bolts, washers etc. Every time I've had an open box, something was missing. Good luck, hope all goes well and you don't have to return it. :)

Hi wvman,

I wasn't at home when the packages were delivered, but i was able to check the contents the next day and despite the opening at the top of the panel box, nothing was missing and the only "damage" was some scuffing of paint on the edge of one of the panels.
I've heard from several people that Purolator who initially handled the shipment in Canada, isn't the most reliable or conscientious company. My shipment backs that up. I doubt that any rough handling occurred when the shipment reached the U.S. and UPS took over.
I've NEVER had an issue with UPS.
Alan Rovner who bought the same dish not long ago, mentioned the lack of good documentation...boy was he right. Like him I'll have to rely on his and the pics from the Tek2000/Satellites Galore website to assemble.
Thanks for your response.

John

1.jpg

2.jpg

Don't crank bolts completely tight while fitting panels together. Put 1/2 side panels together, then the other 1/2 side panels together, (so you now have 2 halves of a complete dish assembled) then prop them up in the middle on a good level surface with a 5 gallon pail or something at the right height to get the parabola shape. Then slowly tighten bolts a bit (still not completely CRANKED tight until the very end), while alternating from side across to other side back and forth while maintaining the shape. A box end wrench and a small socket set work well.

Eventually, you want it tight enough to be able to flip the whole dish over with another person, yet not so tight as to deform anything, or so you can't easily string it and make any final adjustments at the very end.

Take your time doing this, and no shortcuts! Get it as perfect as it allows, not "almost perfect", or with a bunch of compromises.

Reactions: JFOK and wvman
primestar31,

Your recommendations are exactly what I have done in the past and what I planned to do with this dish.
The Radio Shack dish was different in that it wasn’t a typical dish build. It was basically a two tiered effort. Attaching the dish arms to the hub, then attaching the panels to the arms. There was no way to “shape” it properly, prior to attaching it to the mount.
I think this dish build will go easier despite the lack of proper documentation
Thanks for responding

John

Reactions: primestar31
primestar31,

Your recommendations are exactly what I have done in the past and what I planned to do with this dish.
The Radio Shack dish was different in that it wasn’t a typical dish build. It was basically a two tiered effort. Attaching the dish arms to the hub, then attaching the panels to the arms. There was no way to “shape” it properly, prior to attaching it to the mount.
I think this dish build will go easier despite the lack of proper documentation
Thanks for responding

John

If you string it after assembly, you should be good, other than making sure all the other adjustments are correct. I'm glad the damage was limited to a little scuffed paint. Having been in the business for 30 years, I know what a hassle returns are. There's a lot of knowledgeable people in here willing to lend a hand. Good luck.

Reactions: JFOK
Hey I recognize those boxes, that's my dish. Really the only gripe I had was with the mounting pole, it was a thin material, and the 3 legs didn't lay flat. I used my own pole. The dish has been working fine although I'm testing a 10' replacement.

If you have any questions let me know. I can also take some pictures if you want.

Al, K7AR

Sent from my moto x4 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Hi Alan,

I just might ask you for more pictures so I appreciate the offer...thanks. To put it mildly the documentation...sucks.
I am going to use the pole (that it came with) initially as I like the idea of being closer to the ground when working on the dish.
Only one leg is slightly bent, but with a washer or two I can correct this and get it perfectly plum and secure.
The shorter pole will also afford more of a windbreak being closer to the ground, as there is a fence surrounding it on 2 sides.
My current pole is 3.5 od and about 8 feet high.
So you're pleased with the dish's overall performance ?

John

Hi John the performance is ok but I don't pick up some signals listed in the forum. Could be a 10' dish is needed, could be I'm not fully aligned. I don't know your location but if you need to mount your dish mover arm to the left side of the dish you may have additional work needed. When I bought the dish they only provided mounting holes on the right side of the bracket. My neighbor was nice enough to copy the hole pattern on the left side of the bracket. Good luck...Al K7AR

Sent from my Lenovo TB-8504F using the SatelliteGuys app!

Alan,

Thanks for the response.
I'm on the east coast (Cape Cod) so I wont have an issue with the dish arm placement.
It's was good you had a knowledgeable and talented neighbor who was able to assist you with your dish arm modification.
BTW...what are you using for a LNBF f/d setting on your dish ?

John

Don't crank bolts completely tight while fitting panels together. Put 1/2 side panels together, then the other 1/2 side panels together, (so you now have 2 halves of a complete dish assembled) then prop them up in the middle on a good level surface with a 5 gallon pail or something at the right height to get the parabola shape. Then slowly tighten bolts a bit (still not completely CRANKED tight until the very end), while alternating from side across to other side back and forth while maintaining the shape. A box end wrench and a small socket set work well.

Eventually, you want it tight enough to be able to flip the whole dish over with another person, yet not so tight as to deform anything, or so you can't easily string it and make any final adjustments at the very end.

Take your time doing this, and no shortcuts! Get it as perfect as it allows, not "almost perfect", or with a bunch of compromises.
String test it after assembly

Sent from my SM-G955U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Hi All,

I've started my dish assembly on this nice fall day.
If it weren't for Alan's pictures, this assembly would be just about impossible.
The directions are lousy and as Alan mentioned, they consist of a poor copy, of a blown up diagram of the dish.
VERY UNHELPFUL !!!
Enclosed is a picture of my dish assembly after 2.5 hours of effort.

John

Additional Note....Alan could you take several more pictures of the back of your dish from several angles and a few close ups ??...Thanks.

new dish 2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi All,

I've completed the assembly of my new dish after both weather and an upper respiratory infection delay.
I'm pleased to say it passed the string test. There is one bolt missing on the left as you can see and a trip to the hardware store will remedy that.
Now if weather permits, I will add the "electronics" and get back on the air.

John

dish4.jpg

Hi All,

I've completed the assembly of my new dish after both weather and an upper respiratory infection delay.
I'm pleased to say it passed the string test. There is one bolt missing on the left as you can see and a trip to the hardware store will remedy that.
Now if weather permits, I will add the "electronics" and get back on the air.

John

View attachment 141779
Sorry to hear you were under the weather (both kinds) but glad the assembly is checking out! :):thumbup

I'm guessing the open box you saw was us customs random inspection .

They don't treat stuff well and pretty much tell you where to go if you complain

Sent from S10 Plus
using the SatelliteGuys app!

nelson61,

That was my first thought, but then I read of Purolator's notorious rough handling of packages which made me wonder.
None of the other two packages which were part of the same shipment, were opened.
Guess I will never know for sure. At least all packages arrived in serviceable condition.

John

Hi All,

Once again I must call on the experts here to help me solve this issue I'm having.
The new dish is up and passes the string test perfectly. I attached the LNBF and its centered to the middle of the dish. I'm using the proper elevation angle 42.65 and the declination angle 48.5. I'm also pointing true south and aiming for 78W.
Yet I have no signal.
I switched out coax cable to see if that was the issue...its fine. I tried adjusting the LNBF, no change. Since this is a new dish I want to make sure I'm measuring at the proper locations.
Picture 1 is elevation spot I'm using. Picture 2 is declination spot I'm using.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

John

1angle.jpg
2angle.jpg

for the elevation, I think that's correct, provided that you verify that the pivot line is parallel to that square tube. For the declination (or rather the combination of elevation and declination), i'm not sure that I understand that red line on the second picture. But you could check it by putting a straight edge across the front of the dish, resting on the edges and in the same orientation as the pivot axis. When the dish is at true south that would give the elevation-declination combo angle

Hi All,

Once again I must call on the experts here to help me solve this issue I'm having.
The new dish is up and passes the string test perfectly. I attached the LNBF and its centered to the middle of the dish. I'm using the proper elevation angle 42.65 and the declination angle 48.5. I'm also pointing true south and aiming for 78W.
Yet I have no signal.
I switched out coax cable to see if that was the issue...its fine. I tried adjusting the LNBF, no change. Since this is a new dish I want to make sure I'm measuring at the proper locations.
Picture 1 is elevation spot I'm using. Picture 2 is declination spot I'm using.
Thanks in advance for any assistance.

John

View attachment 141991View attachment 141992
Elevation seems ok, but this dish seems to have no good place check declination, but like Brct203 says a long straight edge like he says!

Zack