New Dishes vs Old Dishes?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Elektrobot

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 25, 2007
Are the dishes made in the 80's any better than the dishes made today?

If I were to try and get a 6ft dish (EDIT: 8ft or larger), would I be better off finding an older dish, or would buying a new 6ft Fortec get me the same, or better performance?

What is the best dish made today? My intended use is C/Ka FTA, and possibly C-Band subscription service in the future-

Thanks for any info

Last edited:
Are the dishes made in the 80's any better than the dishes made today?

If I were to try and get a 6ft dish (EDIT: 8ft or larger), would I be better off finding an older dish, or would buying a new 6ft Fortec get me the same, or better performance?

What is the best dish made today? My intended use is C/Ka FTA, and possibly C-Band subscription service in the future-

Thanks for any info

If your going to do C band get at least a 10 foot dish if you can, you won't regret it. Big dishes from the late 80's and beyond designed for c and ku will work fine. See if you can find a used one that someone don't use anymore. Alot of people are doing that. You can invest in a new feedhorn, lnb's and actuator if needed. Get a 4DTV (DSR-922) and a FTA receiver and you'll be good to go. Then you can be like I am, have so much TV to watch you don't have the time:D Have fun!!

...Then you can be like I am, have so much TV to watch you don't have the time:D Have fun!!
Who watches TV when you have new "toys" to install and tweak!? :D I literally spend more time tinkering with various aspects of my setup(s) and researching alternatives than I do sitting down and watching TV :eek:

LOL
Who watches TV when you have new "toys" to install and tweak!? I literally spend more time tinkering with various aspects of my setup(s) and researching alternatives than I do sitting down and watching TV

sometimes i would agree lol :)

i would say cost is the biggest difference , if you have the space then go big look around locally for a give away dish .... i usually avoid the large fiberglass dishes mainly due to weight ( those can weigh a ton) but if you could locate a prodenlin or channelmaster then they would probably work great. but for just the average person a 10 or 12 ft mesh dish will work out fine.

happy hunting

Don't tell me about Fortec, it's chinese crap dishes.

People tend to buy them because they are cheap, but when their 8 foot dish performs like a 5 foot solid dish in KU-band you start shivering.

They quality is like BAD! no quality control at all and the petals needs hours of attention when assembling, if not done well the dish will perform even worse than a 5 foot solid dish.

Look for SAMI dishes if you want mesh, they tend to be ok, otherwise contact Prodelin or Andrew Corp.

You can also contact True Focus which makes excellent solid aluminium dishes in all sizes.

If i had the money and could choose? i would get the True Focus 10 or 12 foot aluminium dish and a nice KU/C-band feed like ADL or Seavey and the Thomson Saginaw actuator.

You can buy these items from this dealer

Export Items

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts