Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Today Dish Network launches a new promo for existing customers, This new promo is called...

dishn.jpg
Basically the new promotion allows current subscribers to lease new Dish Network Equipment.​
You can lease a new or reconditioned 301, 311, 510 or 811, however not everyone qualifies for this promotion or for certain equipment.​
Here is some information on this new promotion and how the promotion works.​
1) You must get the promotion from you original retailer.​
2) You will need to provide the following information to the retailer...​
  • Your Last Name​
  • Your Dish Network Account Number​
  • Valid Credit Card​
It is recommended you give your retailer a copy of your bill, as if when your info is entered in the computer and 1 letter or number is wrong you will not qualify for the promotion.​
Now when you give the dealer this information they will find out what you qualify for.​

There are two plans available which you may qualify for. (Note some people will not qualify)​
PLAN A
  • One Dish'N it up promotional program upgrade receiver transaction permitted in any 12 month period​
  • Maximum of 2 receivers per transaction​
  • No Activation Fee​
  • No Equipment to Buy​
  • No Commitment​
  • Installation Payment of $50, or if the customer subscribes to the Dish home protection plan at $5.99 a month, the installation is $29.99​
  • Minimum subscription to dish Latino or Americas Top 60 required at all times​
PLAN B
One Dish'N it up promotional program upgrade receiver transaction permitted in any 12 month period​
Maximum of 1 receiver per transaction​
No Activation Fee​
No Equipment to Buy​
No Commitment​
Installation Payment of $99, or if the customer subscribes to the Dish home protection plan at $5.99 a month, the installation is $29.99​
Minimum subscription to dish Latino or Americas Top 60 required at all times​
dishn2.jpg
Additional Information
  • Maximum of four leased tuners on any one account (including any and all previously tuners which are currently active)​
  • A $5 per month rental fee will be assessed for each receiver provided under this promotional program​
  • Limit of 2 811 leased receivers​
  • Program only available from original retailer who installed and activated your system (original dealer of record)​
  • Customer pays installation fee to retailer​
  • Customer must return leased equipment to Dish Network within 15 days of cancellation of service or be assessed an unreturned equipment charge ($100 = 301/311, $200 = 510/811)​
  • Customers who return a Dish Network receiver owned by them for a receiver on this program will receive a $25 credit on their Dish Network bill. This credit will be applied once the receiver is received and processed by Dish Network. The receiver must be received within 45 days of deactivation to qualify for the credit.​
  • Under PLAN A if the customer elects to receive two leased receivers, the two receivers must be added or swapped at the same time (One Truck Roll)​
  • Customers who return a receiver previously leased to them in exchange for a receiver provided under this promotional program, must return the previously leased receiver back directly to Dish Network. No credits will be issued for an exchange of a previously leased receiver​
  • Upon notification to Dish Network that a customer intends to exchange a receiver(s) and deactivation of such receiver(s), Dish Network will send the customer a pre paid bo:mad:es) in which to ship the receivers back to Dish Network.​
  • Customer is responsible for returning their equipment to Dish Network. Retailers CANNOT and SHOULD NOT offer to return equipment for the customer.​
  • Ownership of receivers, smart cards, and remote controls provided under this promotional program shall be determined by the Dish'N It Up promotional program agreement signed between Dish Network and the Customer. Ownership and return of any return requirements for LNBF's and switches are governed by the terms of the customer's origional promotional program or customer agreement with Dish Network.​
  • Any existing agreements between the customer and Dish Network will remain in full force and effect​
  • Echostar shall determine customer eligibility to participate in this promotional program in its sole discretion for any reason or no reason​
If a customer gets a model 510 receiver a Dish Video on Demand fee of $4.95 a month will be charged for each receiver unless the customer subscribes to Dish Network Everything Package.​
All customers activating a Dish 811 receiver must agree to subscribe to the $9.99 per month HD Pack. Installation costs range from FREE to $99 depending on the segmentation tier the customer qualifies for and whether the customer subscribes to DHPP.​

A couple of questions:

a. What if the customer wants to self install?
b. Why would someone want to lease a 301 or 311 for $60/yr, when they can buy one, own it, and sell it when they're done with it, for $40-50? It just doesn't seem to make sense.

Also, what happens if the original retailer is out of business?

I don't need to lease any new receivers, but the original independent retailer for me from 2000 closed his storefront and I'm wondering how tey would deal with this....

Gary, it will begin to make sense when you can no longer buy 301/311s. Dish appears to be moving towards a Lease only business model.

I think Cyclone is right. For whatever reason E* is moving to a lease only model. The only benifits I can see to this is that it would make it harder for pirates and it would make it easier for current customers to stay with current generation receivers.

I just got off the phone with DISH, I've got two 811's being shipped to me for $24.95 S&H.

So self install is possable, if you deal directly with E*.

I have heard that if you original retailor is no longer in business you can use any current retailer.

VideoGrabber said:
What IS the monthly lease price for these boxes? Thanks!
If it's like the DHA, it's built-in to the monthly rate... I pay $45/month for Top 120 + locals + DVR. Locals are "included" though officially.

When I first started, I had AT60 and was told the price was $25 for AT60 + $5 receiver lease fee.

mike123abc said:
Does the lease price per month also cover the "mirroring" fee? If it did it would make this very attractive.

I was wandering the same thing, do you have the answer Scott? I too agree if that $5 lease fee also covers the "mirroring" fee this is indeed a good deal and it would not bother me at all to have to return the receiver when I am done using it. On the DHA plan for new subs the $5 on the first receiver includes your locals at no charge and covers the "mirroring" fee on additional box's, I hope this Dish'N it up promotional program for us current subs is the same.

I am not going to give them any of my receivers if I were to do anything such as this. Also if I were to lease any receivers it would have to be something as good as a 522 or not go, because I would rather own what I have rather than lease it. What if something happend to where it would get stolen or someone did something to it, then Dish would be sending you a great big bill for the hardware whereas if you own it at least you will not get a great big bill but at least find a used one cheaper. Dish would probably want full retail price as if it were new if the receiver(s) got stolen or damaged (unless they could just repair it for cheaper) even though it was a used receiver and not a new one.

Stargazer said:
I am not going to give them any of my receivers if I were to do anything such as this. Also if I were to lease any receivers it would have to be something as good as a 522 or not go, because I would rather own what I have rather than lease it. What if something happend to where it would get stolen or someone did something to it, then Dish would be sending you a great big bill for the hardware whereas if you own it at least you will not get a great big bill but at least find a used one cheaper. Dish would probably want full retail price as if it were new if the receiver(s) got stolen or damaged (unless they could just repair it for cheaper) even though it was a used receiver and not a new one.

If the lease is $5 without the mirror fee I do not mind switching to a lease. Since I still own and use an old 2000 receiver, when I get around to getting a SuperDish for my locals I will need to replace this receiver anyway, so even if I need to trade it in it would not bother me. As far as a unit getting stolen, I live in the boonies and the crime rate is very low here, however if it did get stolen, that is what home owners insurance is for. I agree with you though on the 522, I may wait for that to become available on this plan.

Is the DVR522 still scheduled to be available to current subs on this plan in August Scott?

The big sticking point for me with Dish's lease plan is that you are responsible for repairs on the boxes. If it's not my box, why should I have to shell out $5.99/month for a warranty on top of the lease fee?

For new lease subs, it's even more ridiculous. If your new 522 breaks down for a new sub after 2 months and they have not bought the warranty, the choices are:

1) Pay $$$ to have the receiver replaced.
2) Immediately cancel the service and owe nothing.

I wonder how many will choose option 2?

Well I wish this would include 921's or even the next model 942. I've got a 721 so my next logical step for my particular set up would be the 921.
Bob

jrbdmb said:
The big sticking point for me with Dish's lease plan is that you are responsible for repairs on the boxes. If it's not my box, why should I have to shell out $5.99/month for a warranty on top of the lease fee?

For new lease subs, it's even more ridiculous. If your new 522 breaks down for a new sub after 2 months and they have not bought the warranty, the choices are:

I'm on the lease plan (an 811 and a 311), and there is no way in hades that i'd pay $5.99 month to protect their equipment. If it breaks, and they won't replace it, free of charge, then my business will go elsewhere.

If DISH is so stupid as to let a $100 a month account walk over replacement of their faulty equipment, then so be it.

IF Dish wants to lease these receivers with no commitment then they should repair them when they break down at their cost. IT makes NO Sense to require the customer to repair at their cost, a receiver that they rent from Dish. When I had Primestar it was rental and my receiver was fried by a electrical storm and they came out and repalced it free. If they are going to become like Primestar or even like cable they need to change this. The 5.99 warrenty should only be available to people who Own their receivers. All lease should be covered by Dish ,otherwise people will cancel and return the broken boxes and then go to either Directv or cable.

I wonder how many will cancel ,return the boxes and then subscribe again a month later to keep Dish satellite? That may be the only way to keep Dish satellite at no cost, since there is no comitment . They really need to clarify and fix all this so people don't have to give back the receivers in order avoid the cost of fixing the receivers. Otherwise Dish will lose even more subscribers. :no

jrbdmb said:

If your new 522 breaks down after only 2 months it is still under warranty and it will cost just $14.95 S&H for an exchange or if you buy from a local dealer simply take it in to him and exchange it, what is the big deal? I will never buy that $5.99 warranty, I realize that the DVR's are more temperamental, however I have never had out of warranty problems with standard receivers and mine are old especially my 2000 that I have had since 96. Even when I upgrade to a DVR I am willing to take my chances and pay the price if something does go wrong out of warranty, that warranty is a rip off if you ask me. Since these new lease plans where your monthly package price is the same as when you own the equipment, other then the ability of selling old equipment I do not see what the big deal is to owning it? So what if you have to make a repair or two out of warranty every couple of years, once I am done with the receiver it is no good to me either and do not need or want the hastle of selling it and besides, since you can get new hardware upgrades and additions once a year under this plan, if a receiver goes bad after the first year you could simply send it back and get a newer more advanced one.

My head is still a little foggy from last night's Rush concert, but here's an account of my recent experience with the new "Dish'n It Up" program. Basically, I added the 811 and HD Pak without incident. No confusing CSR double talk or long periods of being placed on ignore. The CSR was very polite and professional even with me asking many questions.

The breakdown of fees is as follows:
- $50 for installation/activation (onetime charge; additional receivers must installed. No ifs, ands or buts).
- $5 monthly equipment rental fee.
- $9.99 for HD Pak.

Notice no second receiver fee because it is now classified as a rental fee.....confirmed this with two different CSRs. Equipment and installation work is covered for 90 days. There was no sales pressure applied to sign up for the DHPP, just a straight forward this-is-what-I-want transaction.

On a side note (gasp), does GM or Ford cover all equipment failures on vehicles that are leased beyond the 36mth/36,000 basic warranty? If so how can I get a 99 year lease.

Convert DVI to firewire? or DVI to Component?

Can't Add Strong Digital Station on 811

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)