New DVR comments

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pomernman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
So what is the word on the new DVR from those who purchased one? Likes, Dislikes?

I'm debating on getting the DSR when it comes out. I'm not much into the video recording stuff.

If the comments are good/excellent I may consider the DVR.

Well Worth The Wait....

The new DVR 1100C is a really nice box... well worth the wait (@ least for me it is) :) Setup was a breeze. Absolutely LOVE USB record option unlike the DVR1000ci which was pretty much limited to the internal HD capacity. Recording is pretty straightforward on the fly & with the timers. (Haven't quite found a use for the Time Machine feature but I suppose I shall.... soon.) The first 3 channels are G* informative channels about the box features & general G* info.
The signal meter is is pretty intuitive so if you have to use the receiver to install your dish it's nice to have that big graphical display with the fluctuating signal bars. And it's nice to just be able to press the Signal button to view Signal Level and Quality at any time on any channel (kinda like the Mercury II's):up

There's no longer a need for a radio/tv switch button as the radio stations are listed in the same lineup as the tv channels.

Channel access and sorting is easily done by pressing the List button so you can see the channel lineup & sort them by Detailed or Simple channel listings. You can even sort channels alphabetically! The program guide isn't available yet but it WILL be a welcomed addition... especially for this box.

The Menu is nicely layed out as well. I easily made a Favorite list, Moved around channels in the line-up and I believe I renamed a few of them also (and didn't NEED to read the manual much before I did these things):D

I don't have a motorized dish yet but the options looked pretty standard as far as that goes.

It's also nice that you can shift the "screen" around to adjust for anomalies that may come up from time to time to.

The unit can also be setup by time zone which makes the auto-update functional (it's off by 1.5minutes for my time zone for now so I opted to go manual until later so it won't affect my timer recordings start times.) You can do a manual update at anytime so I've still got options there.

I have a DVR 1000ci (that I still use and like) but the 1100C is oh so much more nicer.;) For DVR junkies like me that record "useful stuff" for kids, various church groups etc. this unit bumps its predecessor down a few notches.
Though I'm no expert critic (I'm just a regular Joe) I highly recommend this box to anyone. -Al:up

I played around with time machine, it will let you pause and rewind. The manual says you can't save from the time machine mode. I got into a little trouble because it appeared that I had a save option, when I tried it I ended up with two files. I clicked on the first file and apparently got a system reboot. When it was over my time was Dec 31, 2006 and favorite channels were lost. I got everything back with no apparent ill effects, but am wary on button pushing now. I am not going to try to reconstruct what happened.

Also if you push pause with USB connected it seems to select the time machine mode. The screen says checking USB then after a few seconds it pauses. If you have kids that like to play with a remote you might get into some unplanned modes.

Bottom line, I think I love it! I just need some OJT as I have no DVR experience. At present I only have a 4GB flash card, but am looking for a bargain on a 500GB hard drive.

I am having timer problems because I do not have Commercial power so I can not leave the receiver on all the time - on my 1200 watt or 2600 watt inverters. I will be geting a smaller inverter soon (300 watt) and a separate battery bank for this unit, so will see how that works. Other than that, or rather, in spite of that, I LOVE the receiver. Now I wish I had gotten 2 of them. But right now, we are rebuilding our rental house ..... I have not been able to work with the unit for more than 3 days in a row. Using an 8 GB USB stick. Two weeks of M-F 1/2 hour programs on one stick!

The unit can also be setup by time zone which makes the auto-update functional (it's off by 1.5minutes for my time zone for now so I opted to go manual until later so it won't affect my timer recordings start times.) You can do a manual update at anytime so I've still got options there.
I too have to set time with the manual option, then all is well 'til the next ota update. The master clock at the control center must need reset!

I am still noticing time problems. The 2:30 program comes on but the banner says it's only 2:28.

Comments on new DVR1100c

I share the same opinion as most, its a good receiver.
I have my DVR1100c connected to my original Fortec
Mercury II as a MASTER-SLAVE config using the IF
LOOPTHRU option. Works flawless in that configuration.

I have expreienced a few hiccups here and there with
the dvr1100c unit.

#1: I go to the OTA - UPDATE NOW of the software/firmware.
And Most of the time it shows: 12115 - 22415 and
shows Signal: OK - NEW VERSION: GS3.10 - Data 1.04 ;
But twice now it shows erroneous data. Here is what
the unit occasionally shows:
12177 - 23000 ; The SIGNAL field flashes OK - FAILED
at alternating times. The NEW VERSION field stalls on:
waiting...

Problem #1 is rare. It has only happened four times so far.

#2: This next one #2 seems to occur when problem #1 occurs
too. Channels 001, 002 & 003 do not display normal
Glorystar system info channels on the screen. The
screen stays BLANK. The only way to restore Channels
001, 002 & 003 to their normal display is to go the EPG,
and re-select the channel you are currently on with the OK
button. And then the Glorystar INFO screen majically
comes back to life. Problem #1 & #2 seem to be linked
together. This is not a big problem. And seems to be
easily resolved. My guess its just a hiccup in the receiver.
At worst, I guess this problem could interrupt the normal
AUTOMATIC update of the firmware/software of the unit,
Not sure why 12177 - 23000 sometimes appears as the
source listing for the software updates. Maybe Globecast
or OTHER programmers use 12177 as their update
transponder.

#3: Some Radio channels go silent when tuned to them.
You will hear the channel for about 1/4 of second, then
the receiver either MUTES the audio, or looses it. Some
times the only way to restore the audio is to either tune
to another RADIO or TV channel or to bring up the EPG,
and re-select the current radio channel. Not sure what
is causing this. Its kinda weird. This does NOT occur on
all of the radio channels. Mostly it occurs on a few
of the non-glorystar radio channels.

And now for some extra info (non-problems) I have been
noticing. I am getting extra EPG data for other G-25 channels.
The 2 russian channels RTR planeta & RTR sport from Globecast.
The russian EPG data is almost readable. And also from a couple
of the Asian channels. Those IPTV channels and a few others.
The EPG data from the Asian IPTV channels is mostly in a
foreign langauage, and mostly unreadable. I am also getting
TEST in the CURRENT & NEXT fields of the INFO screen on some
other channels including that CCN (IRDETO) channel. And getting
TEST from some of the radio channels. When I tune to that EDGE
RADIO and ACCESS AMERICA on G-25 I get CHANNEL IDENTIFICATION
in the NEXT field when you press the INFO button.

I am going to guess that other programmers may be using the
same technology for the EPG data/INFO fields as Glorystar. Because
most of the above does NOT appear on my Fortec Mercury II receiver,
except for the RTR russian channel's EPG data. The RTR russian
channels are the only ones that has EPG data that shows up on both
receivers.

Does this mean that the Mercury II will NOT display any of the EPG data even when it's available?

Is this unit compatible? Amazon has it for less than $100.
Seagate ST305004FDA1E1-RK FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB 3.5" USB 2.0 External Hard Drive

Is this unit compatible? Amazon has it for less than $100.
Seagate ST305004FDA1E1-RK FreeAgent Desktop 500 GB 3.5" USB 2.0 External Hard Drive
The reason I ask is that this and similar drives indicate operating systems requirements and some mention ease of backup (one-touch and such). I just don't understand all the lingo as to whether it impacts DVR usage.

The "One Touch" back up and other features are basically there to provide a customer with an 'added value' and to distinguish the product from others on the market. That's great if you are buying an external hard drive to use with your PC or Mac, but absolutely meaningless for use with a DVR.

Your DVR simply needs an external hard drive with the correct interface (USB in this case) - the rest is meaningless fluff! :)

The one feature you may want to consider is whether the unit is fanless or not. Most units are fanless (and marketed as "silent"), but a few offer a fan to provide additional cooling. If you search the forums, you will find some vocal posts about the need of a fan to prolong the drive's life.

We have found a few drives that will not work due to the USB controller used by the manufacturer of the enclosure.

Examples: Western Digital 500GB My Book Essential Edition USB 2.0 External Drive
Unit has an automatic sleep power saving feature that cannot be deactivated. Unit repeatedly cycles through mounting and disabling. External formatting with SwissKnife made no difference as this power saveing feature is part of the USB controller. Spoke with Western Digital Technical Support and this feature cannot be disabled.
Acomdata 500GB Hard Drive Combo USB 2.0 / Firewire - D500UFAPE5-72

Unit appeared to be formatted by the DVR1100c and the C// drive shows in the menu. Unit would initiate a recording, bwould not finalize a recording.

Reformatted FAT32 with with SwissKnife. No change in operation when connected back to the DVR1100c. Unit works file with all PCs. Acomdata Technical support had no solution. Believe that it is a USB drive incompatibility.

I am stuck for the time being anyway. I recorded a movie on my flash card, but can't get the computer to play it. I went to videolan.org and it was a 9MB download a bit much for dial-up. Also, I don't want to just view the movie on the computer I want to burn a DVD. VideoReDo has a trial version on its site but is 13.2MB also a bit large for dial-up. I guess I'll have to wait on the trial version that is to come with the DVR or try a late night down load.

Has anyone burned a DVD yet? If so how about posting some info on how you did it.

Last edited:
I am stuck for the time being anyway. I recorded a movie on my flash card, but can't get the computer to play it. I went to videolan.org and it was a 9MB download a bit much for dial-up. Also, I don't want to just view the movie on the computer I want to burn a DVD. VideoReDo has a trial version on its site but is 13.2MB also a bit large for dial-up. I guess I'll have to wait on the trial version that is to come with the DVR or try a late night down load.

Has anyone burned a DVD yet? If so how about posting some info on how you did it.
OK, an update on my situation. I recorded a movie on a bargain flash-drive (Dane-Elec 4GB). When it wouldn't play on the computer (did fine on the DVR) I did a late night down load of VideoReDo TV Suite. It took me around two hours to download due to dial-up drop-out and slow rate. The free trial version is limited to 14 or 15 days which should be time enough to check it out. I was able to easily delete lead-in and trailer info and any other announcements to the frame. Burning the DVD was a bit slow as it took a long time to volume and mux, no real problem as I don't do this every day. I am going to get a USB extension cable for easier access to the USB port on the DVR.

Now if I just had an up-converter so I could get network programming into the mix . . . . .

A Caution

Gospel Music TV often has very low audio. I had the volume way up just to hear it and mistakenly hit the signal strength button on the remote. The beeps took out my right channel speaker before I could hit exit or the blue button. I wish signal strength came up silent and one had to push the button to get the beeps.

Minor Glitch After Using Timer

Several times I have experienced a minor glitch after using a timer. After the timer action is completed I cannot change channels. I can turn the DVR off/on with the remote or front panel, then all is well again.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)