Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
With the new software starting to roll out to Hoppers and Hopper With Sling some might notice a new feature a feature called HDMI-CEC.

HDMI stands for HDMI Consumer Elecronics Control, were a signal comes from your receiver and controls your TV.

With the new software your Hopper can automatically turn on your TV and set your television to the correct input for your Hopper just by hitting the power button or the Satellite Button on your Hopper (or Joey) remote.

For this to work however your TV needs to support HDMI-CEC, and not all TV's do. Also most TV's called the HDMI-CEC feature something different. For example...

Samsung - Anynet+
Sony - BRAVIA Link or BRAVIA Sync
Sharp - Aquos Link
Hitachi - HDMI-CEC
AOC - E-link
Pioneer - Kuro Link
Toshiba - Regza Link or CE-Link
Onkyo - RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI)
LG - SimpLink
Panasonic - VIERA Link or HDAVI Control or EZ-Sync
Philips - EasyLink
Mitsubishi - NetCommand for HDMI
Runco International - RuncoLink

(List provided courtesy of http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=CEC)

For those who have a TV which is HDMI-CEC compatible and wish to turn this feature OFF this can easily be done by pressing MENU Selecting Settings, Selecting Diagnostics, Selecting HDMI-CEC then turning the feature off and saving your choice.

For those who keep it on, now you will never need to remember again what input your Hopper (or Joey) is on. By pressing just one button you will soon be watching and enjoying your DISH Network service.

This feature is just being rolled out to Hoppers and Hopper with Sling receivers, and if you don't have the new software yet, don't worry you will get it "soon."

Enjoy and THANKS FOR BEING SATELLITEGUYS!

Attachments

• cec1.jpg
    cec1.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 1,062
  • cec2.jpg
    cec2.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 996
Last edited by a moderator:
Have not got the upgrade yet and I use my Sony Receiver which lacks HDMI Inputs for my audio. I also experience the infamous Optical Audio input problem which I hope will be corrected. Never tried but it would be nice if one button would also turn on the Sony Receiver.

This actually screwed up my current HDMI-CEC setup. When I would hit the SAT button my my remote, it flipped my Samsung TV's input to another HDMI port instead of the one that the Hopper is on. I had to disable it to get things working again. It's too bad, as I like this feature.

This actually screwed up my current HDMI-CEC setup. When I would hit the SAT button my my remote, it flipped my Samsung TV's input to another HDMI port instead of the one that the Hopper is on. I had to disable it to get things working again. It's too bad, as I like this feature.

Do you have other devices that also have CEC enabled? Usually when something like this happens it's a conflict between multiple devices that have CEC enabled and disabling it on the other device may fix it.

I notice my "antique" JVC HDTV isn't on the list. Oh, well, hardly matters- I run everything thru my AV receiver so this doesn't apply to me. Harmony is SAFE in their future business prospects.

You got an HDTV. Why wouldn't you make the most of it and get better AQ from an AV receiver- 5.1 or 7.1 or ......?

Because not everyone wants to turn the tv off when done watching the hopper. Maybe you want to watch a DVD or play a video game.

I haven't explored all the new features of the recent update yet, but from what I saw DISH missed the mark again in a few areas. As for the HDMI CEC turning the TV off that should be the protocol. Understand that sometimes people may go to a DVD or game, but I can guarantee that the overwhelming percentage of times it will simply be a TV on-TV off situation. So there really isn't a whole lot of improvement as you still have to click the TV off. Yes, not a big deal, but if you have one button on then one button should shut off.

Its is however more than just power on/off. It does automatically tune the TV to the correct input as well as powering on the TV. I see your point but I bet you that the numbers aren't overwhelming. If the button powered the TV off as well, I bet more people than you think would disable the feature. I could see myself wanting to watch a DVD after finishing catching up on the Housewives of NY. I press power to turn off the Hopper and my TV goes off, well thats annoying. A few days later do the same thing again and again shut my TV off and have to turn it back on and then change inputs again, a little more annoying and so on. I personally like the fact the TV is left on but to each his own.

Its is however more than just power on/off. It does automatically tune the TV to the correct input as well as powering on the TV. I see your point but I bet you that the numbers aren't overwhelming. If the button powered the TV off as well, I bet more people than you think would disable the feature. I could see myself wanting to watch a DVD after finishing catching up on the Housewives of NY. I press power to turn off the Hopper and my TV goes off, well thats annoying. A few days later do the same thing again and again shut my TV off and have to turn it back on and then change inputs again, a little more annoying and so on. I personally like the fact the TV is left on but to each his own.

I thought about it overnight and to me that is not a valid reason. I wonder if most people really turn off the hopper. I mean why turn it off...just grab your Tv remote and change inputs then pick up DVD remote and start watching tv...the Hopper doesn't really turn off anyways . But like you said each his own

HTC One

I hate when my electronics are on when I'm not using them. I think I might be OCD and that light bugs me and knowing something is sitting there powered on and working when it doesn't need to bothers me. I hate when my XBOX is left on because in the back of my mind I think i'm just running it for no reason and its lifespan is going to end up being shorter along with it using uneeded electricty. But again, problably just me.

I haven't explored all the new features of the recent update yet, but from what I saw DISH missed the mark again in a few areas. As for the HDMI CEC turning the TV off that should be the protocol. Understand that sometimes people may go to a DVD or game, but I can guarantee that the overwhelming percentage of times it will simply be a TV on-TV off situation. So there really isn't a whole lot of improvement as you still have to click the TV off. Yes, not a big deal, but if you have one button on then one button should shut off.

Now I'm happy. I saw this in another post and tested myself with my equipment (Sony Bravia model TV).

To turn Hopper/TV on:

Press the Hopper power button on the remote to turn on Hopper, turn TV on, put into right input mode.

To turn Hopper/TV off:
Press the TV power button on the remote to turn off the TV AND the Hopper.

Makes sense and addresses the issue with people who want to keep the TV on if they shut off the Hopper. And logical, too. If the TV goes off then people are pretty much calling it quits.

I use Harmony remotes and now, with the latest s/w, the HWS turns itself back on. I'd rather not have the green eye.

Mine does that with a Harmony One and CEC is off. The Hopper goes of and then right back on. It may be that it's responding to both the Hopper on/off toggle and the TV on/off toggle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts