New feature - HDMI-CEC

Just keep the "off" option.

Totally agree. Now, while I do understand the "benefit" of being able to recover from an oops moment where you may have accidentally turned off the box and it reset the buffer (I've done it a couple of times), I just don't get the so-called logic Dish uses. OK, I will say that this is a nice feature but 4-5 minutes? Really?? Unless you are so s-faced drunk that it takes you that long to figure out the TV screen went blank because you either sat on the remote or passed out for a few minutes and your head hit the remote's TV off button, the shut off delay should be no more than 10-15 SECONDS where you can turn it back on and recover. Not MINUTES. (Or like I've been screaming for years, make the box more user configurable and let us turn feature on/off or set duration.)

I know the box will eventually shut off and I'm not concerned about the energy wasted, etc... for those few minutes as I am in knowing I turned the box off because I wanted it off. And not worry it's still on hours after I left.

"This equipment is mine! I am God here!" ;)
(In case you didn't get the Lawnmower Man reference: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2GD-OK2KCc)

FWIW, with CEC turned OFF, my HWS turns off, then back on, and stays on for a lot longer than 5 minutes.

Thank you for your feedback concerning HDMI-CEC on the Hopper & Joey platform!
DISH has been listening to your feedback and I am please to report...

@ScottGreczkowski:

Hopefully Dish will fix this right and either go back to the prior way which most of us loved or drastically shorten the delay and fix the issue below. Here's another problem with their latest tweaking of the HDMI connection that they need to correct:

Common scenario, you use the remote's TV power button because you want to turn off the TV and Hopper. But your spouse (or yourself) says "hey, I wanted to hear that story..." or whatever. So now they set that long Hopper off delay and the Hopper stays on for 5 minutes and lucky for you because you can press the TV power button again and the TV comes back on with the Hopper still in all its glory and life goes on. Buffer and all. Or does it...

If you do this, then after those 4-5 minutes the Hopper still shuts itself off. Right in the middle of what you are watching. I tested this last night because I was playing around with the TV off option to see how it works. When I was done I wanted to watch a little more TV and shortly after I started up a recording the Hopper dozed off. I thought that maybe if you use the TV power off then back on again that if you did not change a channel or something that of course the Hopper would think you really did want to shut it off and turned itself off. So I did the TV off/on again but changed channels on the Hopper a few times, looked at my recordings, thinking that 'logically' the Hopper would detect user activity and cancel the auto off countdown. Nope. Shuts down anyway and you lose whatever buffer you had.

So what's the point of the delayed off of the Hopper if there is no way to stop the inevitable off sequence? You wanted to not lose the current TV buffer for an accidental TV off button press with HDMI-CEC enabled so you can quickly turn the TV back on and not lose anything but Dish "testers" did not even think about different scenarios like this?

I guess I just don't get how Dish engineers and employees are managed by their leadership to let a lot of these little problems like this slip through the cracks. Do they even use their equipment and try to break it to ensure their customers are getting as close to a rock solid release as possible?? I really think their User Acceptance Testing consists of a basic check-off only approach.

Premise: Hey, let's delay turning off the Hopper. Did users really ask for this?
Not really, but gives us something to do and put on our yearly performance reviews. Oh, OK.
Design: Delayed turn off.
UAT: Did it delay turn off?
Result: Yes. Now let it rip to users as S330. :D

Also, the power buttons are on the top side of the remote for an actual reason -- so they aren't pressed accidentally. To program for an eventuality that is unlikely to happen by physical design and then not fully document the ins and outs of the operation of that feature is totally ludicrous.

Also, the power buttons are on the top side of the remote for an actual reason -- so they aren't pressed accidentally. To program for an eventuality that is unlikely to happen by physical design and then not fully document the ins and outs of the operation of that feature is totally ludicrous.

Agree. But we all know accidents can happen when picking up the remote, regardless of where the buttons are. However, I did get a reply from Ray C at Dish on this issue with a late Christmas present for us. Feel bad for the guy in having to see all the *itching but it's not like we're trolls picking on Dish. Just want Zen with our service and have to be tough on them when they mess up.

"There is a software update to address the HDMI-CEC issue of the receiver powering of when the TV is powered off, on 1/10/14. You can disable HDMI-CEC from the Diagnostics screen. Thanks."

https://support.dish.com/posting.php?mode=reply&f=18&t=8089

I finally shut the CEC off on the Joey... after the damn thing almost giving my wife a heart attack. She said came down to let the dogs outside, it was around 4am when the TV went on by itself. Scared the heck out of her. She said she shut everything off but when I came down around 8:30am the TV was on and not the Joey. I have the Joey set for auto shut off after 4 hours of inactivity though. So it must have went on again shortly after she went back up then the Joey must have auto shut off leaving the TV on.

In one of the threads related to the latest s/w updates, a few people have commented that having HDMI-CEC "on" is causing sluggishness with their Hoppers (and Joeys ?). Anyone else seeing that ?

I think the best aspect of this new feature is the ability to turn it OFF.

In one of the threads related to the latest s/w updates, a few people have commented that having HDMI-CEC "on" is causing sluggishness with their Hoppers (and Joeys ?). Anyone else seeing that ?

I have HDMI-CEC on and I do not notice any sluggishness. I only have 1 Hopper (with sling) and no Joeys. What worked out the best for me was to set the options on my TV to NOT let CEC turn it on, but allow CEC to select inputs. When I want to turn the system on, first I have to press the 'TV' button on the Hopper remote, and then I press the 'Sat' button. When I press the 'Sat' button, it turns the Hopper on, automatically turns on my soundbar, then it automatically selects the proper input on my soundbar and also selects the proper input on my TV. This makes it really easy for my wife to turn the satellite system on. CEC is working great for me in this scenario.

Last edited:
It works fine on my MB Hopper. Had to turn it off on one of the bedroom Joeys because it was causing all kinds of problems. Turning it off solved the problem. Didn't work on that TV anyway so no loss.

It turns on the receiver and tv but if I'm in the game input it will not switch me to the TV input. ..any idea why ???

Defect in the CEC system is my guess. It sure doesn't seem to work quite right in other ways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts