New feature - HDMI-CEC

Just upped to a 75 inch Samsung and all hell broke lose. Would not pass sound back to the audio amplifier when internet streaming. The amplifier volume control was passing through but not sound.
I have a suspicion the Hopper is tying up the CEC system when in standby.

Did some web research and found many with similar CRC problems and various recommended solutions.

Had to add a fiber optic audio cable on TV out to amplifier to get it working for the audio when streaming. Fixed the problem (maybe).

I think the CEC standards need some more work.

Both my TVs (one with Hopper and one with Joey) turn on/off using HDMI-CEC, but neither changes inputs. Anyone have any ideas or have the same issue?

Are you using an av system or a switch? What brand Tvs? Which hdmi input on the Tvs are you using?
HDMI on both TVs are plugged directly into the TVs, not av systems. Hopper is on a Mitsubishi DLP and Joey is on an LG. Both inputs are set to 'Satellite'.

Strange thing is, yesterday the TV off stopped working on the Joey CEC. It no longer shuts the Joey off, just the TV. Since the update over a month ago it shut both off. I tried rebooting, nothing. I figured maybe the overnight reboot would fix it but it still is like that. Very odd. No big deal I guess. I did it the other way for years anyway, lol.

Jay

Does it not turn the TV off if you are watching live TV? Or does it only not turn the TV off if you are watching a DVR event or have live TV paused?
Sorry I meant it does not turn the JOEY off when I use the off button on the remote. It doesn't shut it off no matter what. It worked fine before yesterday... Hit ON button and Joey and TV turns on, Hit off button and only TV turns off, not Joey. Before yesterday, off button shut both TV and Joey off. I tried disabling/enabling CEC both on TV and Joey and still Joey does not shut off. Very odd.

EDIT:
It's working again. Man I swear this thing is possessed. I've been having problems with the Joey lately. Not only the off thing. Sometimes when turning it on it goes to 'Looking for Hopper...' and sometimes finds it in a few seconds or just hangs and I have to reboot it. It did it yesterday just out of the blue in the middle of watching something. I think it's time to have it replaced.

Last edited:
Thank you for your feedback concerning HDMI-CEC on the Hopper & Joey platform!

DISH has been listening to your feedback and I am please to report that they will be making some changes to HDMI-CEC based on your feedback!

I have not been told what the changes are which are coming, but I am told that your feedback was very welcome in making HDMI-CEC better for all! As soon as I have a list of the changes coming I will post them.

Thanks for being SatelliteGuys!

Sorry I meant it does not turn the JOEY off when I use the off button on the remote. It doesn't shut it off no matter what. It worked fine before yesterday... Hit ON button and Joey and TV turns on, Hit off button and only TV turns off, not Joey. Before yesterday, off button shut both TV and Joey off. I tried disabling/enabling CEC both on TV and Joey and still Joey does not shut off. Very odd.

EDIT:
It's working again. Man I swear this thing is possessed. I've been having problems with the Joey lately. Not only the off thing. Sometimes when turning it on it goes to 'Looking for Hopper...' and sometimes finds it in a few seconds or just hangs and I have to reboot it. It did it yesterday just out of the blue in the middle of watching something. I think it's time to have it replaced.
Never mind, not working again. Joey staying on. And if I want to shut the Joey off the TV will turn on. I guess I'll just shut CEC off on the Joey.

Wouldn't you actually be shutting it off on the Hopper it's attached to?
The TV shuts off, the Joey stays on. It won't work with off, just the TV shuts off. On works turning on both TV and Joey though. I was hoping the new update would fix it but nope. It's just weird that it worked fine for around a month then just one day it stopped shutting the Joey off. And then the other day it worked once shutting the Joey off. Oh well, back to turning off CEC. No big deal I guess.

New update (S330) changed this feature back to previous behavior. Pressing the TV power button no longer turns the receiver off at the same time.

Last edited:
Like several others, mine worked for a while on my Hopper w/o Sling. Pressing the upper red button turned both on, pressing the TV red button turned them both off. Then the TV button went back to only turning off the TV. Have tried it with live TV and other various options with no luck. May have coincided with the update I got on 12/13/2013. Kinda liked it while it worked.

Dave

I believe the new software keeps the receiver on for a period after you shut it off.

This is done so you do not lose the buffer on the receiver in case you turn off the power by mistake.

With the delayed shutdown behavior of the receiver, what action cancels the 4-5 minute delay timer? Since this update was applied my receiver has turned itself off a few minutes after initial turn on -- connected?

After testing this out it looks like it does not turn off if you are on an audio channel. If you are buffered on live TV or watching a DVR event and then power the TV off the Hopper stays on for about 5 minutes.

Does the green light stay on after the power button is pressed, or does it go off but the machine is still buffering?

Thanks in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)