New Features in the latest Hopper release(S515)!

I swear we've been through this before, but... is it documented that it's SUPPOSED to do that? For some reason, I thought it was only supposed to protect the show from being reaped by the disk space reclaimer, which was all it ever did on the 622.
Agreed, I don't think it was ever supposed to, regardless of how it behaved.
From the Hopper w/Sling manual, page 63, downloaded from here:

OTHER RECORDING OPTIONS
When you set up a new DVR timer for a future program or event, you can choose from the
following options:
• Type—You can change the type of timer from DVR to Auto Tune. An Auto Tune timer
changes the channel to the program or event, but does not record it.
• Episodes—You can choose to record all New and Reruns, Only New episodes, only
Once, once Weekly or Daily at the same time, or only on weekdays (Mon-Fri).
• Folders—The DVR feature can save new event recordings inside an existing folder.
• Protect—You can choose to protect this timer’s recordings from accidental erasure.

Clear as mud ? By itself, IMO, no...

Page 69 has more details related to timers and says:

Timer Options
The Timer Options screen lets you set the following (not used on all options screens):
• Protect Event—to prevent your programs from being erased when the DVR fills up.
(snip)
• Maximum Events to Keep—to automatically delete the oldest unprotected event
recordings after a specified number of them are accumulated for this particular timer.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Yeah, pretty sure "when dvr fills up" means when you have a max event number set and you hit that number and the dvr becomes full. Or when the hard drive is full and the oldest items start to be deleted, protected events won't auto delete to make space

Yeah, pretty sure "when dvr fills up" means when you have a max event number set and you hit that number and the dvr becomes full. Or when the hard drive is full and the oldest items start to be deleted, protected events won't auto delete to make space

This was always my understanding of what Protect does.

If the system deletes the file, does it end up there though ? They may only end up there if deleted through the normal user interface.

If the system deletes the file its gone, in my experience. Once your Hopper gets 99% full their is no more room for anything so it starts picking off old things and it doesn't go to delete folder it's deleted and room is made for new items. If I could make a small suggestion that you don't let a hopper get that full, they start acting weird. They start getting mad at you about 94% in my experience.

Come to think of it I should not answer these questions I have more then the average person so mine are more temperamental then average, yours may work up to a 100% full

Last edited:
Once your Hopper gets 99% full their is no more room for anything so it starts picking off old things and it doesn't go to delete folder it's deleted and room is made for new items.
Very true - if they have to be deleted because there's no room, moving them to the "Deleted Items" folder doesn't accomplish anything. They aren't deleted at all and the space issue still remains.

I wish the "Watch from beginning" would work the way my old Charter DVR did. Whatever channel it was on it was buffering at least an hour of that channel. So if you were watching a recording and it ended a say 11:15 Pm and you noticed you missed the start of the 11 o'clock news, no problem. You could stop the recording and just back up to the start of the news and watch. I really miss that function.

I wish the "Watch from beginning" would work the way my old Charter DVR did. Whatever channel it was on it was buffering at least an hour of that channel.
Time Warner offers that as well (they call it "Start Over") and I was wondering if this is what Dish modeled this feature after. I thought TW's method was network-DVR-based though. Dish stopped "always recording" a number of years ago - you used to be able to rewind like you describe.

You mean the HWS does not arrive with the HD 95% full. I seldom get mine down that low. even most of my EHDs are near full now, even after I decided to trash a few series.

Is this new as well?

Maybe it's because it's using the PTAT tuner but in this case, you really are "sharing" the view. My wife did a 10-second rewind from upstairs and it rewound for me. Then our daughter and I started playing around by pausing the game. My wife would un-pause. Repeat that a few times and eventually she yells, "Hall, stop that !".

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1418583287344.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1418583287344.jpg
    512.6 KB · Views: 193
So I tried scheduling a show tonight and it said creating this timer would create a conflict. Do you want to create the timer on your other hopper? I said WHAT? YES!!! Sweet. I then went to Timers, and could change to see my other Hopper. Couldn't change any, but still helpful.

Reactions: ChadT41
I think the thread title could also indicate S449 (for the non-Sling Hopper). As far as features go, I believe they received all of the same ones.

I could be mistaken but I thought you could see the other Hopper's Daily Schedule, if you have two Hoppers. Or, is that just in case there is a scheduling conflict? We have not tried to record anything where there has been a conflict so we don't know what will happen then.

You can, but you have to click on timers, then once you have your timers are up, at the top, to the right you have to change which receiver is showing in the timer menu.

Every day that I have checked my external hard drive, after receiving 515, I have had no connection. So I have to reboot my hopper in order to see my external hard drive again. Did it again this morning .

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts