New Fee

JSheridan

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2008
USA
I'm almost afraid to post this so please, don't shoot the messenger. :)

I'm hearing that effective April 10 there will be a non DVR receiver fee on all new subscriber accounts that are Wally's or 211K's only. The 'fee' will be $5 during the 2 year price lock and $7 after that. So basically it will be the same price for a new customer to get a Hopper Duo or a 211K for the first 2 years. I don't know any more details at this time.

:hiding

Reactions: charlesrshell

I'm hearing that effective April 10 there will be a non DVR receiver fee on all new subscriber accounts that are Wally's or 211K's only. The 'fee' will be $5 during the 2 year price lock and $7 after that. So basically it will be the same price for a new customer to get a Hopper Duo or a 211K for the first 2 years. I don't know any more details at this time.

What, you better hide. :shh

I wonder how many subscribers Dish will lose? If it wasn't for the Super Stations, I would have considered leaving Dish with the continual price hikes. I can understand the increases as the programmers raise their prices. However an "owned" receiver and Dish system, there should be NO fees on those as it does not cost Dish a dime. This I am not happy with. I may re-consider the options and go with cable. Losing the Supers I will not like, but where does this end? In a few years are we going to be paying more than a car payment? I like Dish, but adding fees on owned receivers is crazy and at $100+ a month, I am really considering changing. If I drop to a smaller pack, then why bother with Dish, as I will not get the channels I want. No wonder many are cord cutting. I can stream the KTLA/WPIX news, so I am thinking about it. Most of the rest of the channels are available on Charter Cable including more diginets.

One additional note, now this new "fee" is even on the first primary receiver? Do I understand that. I don't even think Charter has a fee on that. Does Direct TV? But re-reading the post it says "new" subscribers. Are the rest of us Grandfathered in, so we will not want to leave? Maybe that is their thought? Some subscribers jump from carrier to carrier, so if there are fees when we come back, people may not want to jump ship?

One additional note, now this new "fee" is even on the first primary receiver? Do I understand that. I don't even think Charter has a fee on that. Does Direct TV? But re-reading the post it says "new" subscribers. Are the rest of us Grandfathered in, so we will not want to leave? Maybe that is their thought? Some subscribers jump from carrier to carrier, so if there are fees when we come back, people may not want to jump ship?

From what I understand the 'fee' is for the account like the DVR 'fee', one fee per account. And as of now it's for new customers only.

In my experience, cablecos are even more expensive.

Almost everything goes up in price. My property taxes are going up again. Double whammy- value of house goes up, so my taxes go up. AND the tax rate itself is going up, so the total bill goes up ever faster.

In a few years, we will pay off our mortgage. We wonder how long we will be able to stay here before we simply can’t afford the taxes. I pay about $9,000 a year as it is.

In my experience, cablecos are even more expensive.

Almost everything goes up in price. My property taxes are going up again. Double whammy- value of house goes up, so my taxes go up. AND the tax rate itself is going up, so the total bill goes up ever faster.

In a few years, we will pay off our mortgage. We wonder how long we will be able to stay here before we simply can’t afford the taxes. I pay about $9,000 a year as it is.

Be happy you don't live down here in Hurricane Alley, your insurance would be about the same.

Reactions: TheKrell
I grew up in NOLA. The only hurricane we evacuated for (Betsy) was the one that smashed our roof and sent lumber onto my two sisters beds, where they would have been sleeping.

I’m not going back. Too much crime, very bad economy, and the haters now run the place. I have no more on that topic, as it would be Pit material.

Fios is 12 per box . Dvr starts at 15 and goes to 30 if you want a dvr like the hopper. So 7 sounds pretty fair to me .

From what I understand the 'fee' is for the account like the DVR 'fee', one fee per account. And as of now it's for new customers only.
Has DISH given a date for the official release of this stupid new policy? I will probably have to drop one receiver to offset their higher price. I've got a Wally that now has 2 tuners so I can lose 1 receiver without missing it.

Reactions: pattykay

Oh my God. Does DISH ever learn? Why would they charge a NON dvr receiver fee? That is sure to accelerate the cord cutting even further. I guess they don't care anymore about keeping subs or new subs at all anymore.

Restated again... as of right now it will ONLY BE NEW customers. And the sky is not falling. As mentioned, it sounds more like they are encouraging DVR on every account to create a better experience. Also, it gives them something to credit off without losing money. Customer feels like they win and Dish loses nothing.

Has DISH given a date for the official release of this stupid new policy? I will probably have to drop one receiver to offset their higher price. I've got a Wally that now has 2 tuners so I can lose 1 receiver without missing it.

April 10, but again, it's for new customers only.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts